Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman's rushing totals plunged from 364 yards in 2010 to ....139 last season, « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

danimal09

Starter

#15 : January 14, 2013, 10:41:57 AM

Just think if Free could get his accuracy in line and bring back that " you can't bring me down" swagger he had in 2010 he would be considered on the fringe of the elite. I want that kind of QB on our team so bad!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 14, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

With Doug on the team I doubt Freeman was encouraged to run. He has proven he can. I'd like to see him run the ball more often. Maybe next year.

Why not?   Even with Dougie, if its open, take off.

9ers having two quality backs in Gore and Hunter certainly doesn't discourage Kaepernick from running.

It's obvious that even when Freeman did run, he wasn't the same mobile threat as he was in 2010. It's certainly curious how a player loses 30lbs and gets slower.

I think the word is "fear".  I think he's scared.  Either that or he just doesn't care.  I hope it's the former, becuase that can be workerd on.  If it's the latter, he's of no use.

I don't know if anyone else sees it, but watching Freeman for much of the last 2 seasons, I see the Jay Cutler-esque "don't care" attitude. It's gotta be disheartening for his teammates if they see the same thing I see as a spectator.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#17 : January 14, 2013, 11:07:40 AM

The lack of Freeman's running bothers me more than anything about him.  Even Jake Delhomme would run the ball.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 14, 2013, 12:03:45 PM

This cannot be overstated. Freeman has to run more. He kept so many drives alive with ball breaking runs in 2010.

I agree!

Apparently Schiano would prefer he wear a knee brace and stay in the pocket. It's been widely reported that Schiano doesn't want Freeman running.
: January 14, 2013, 12:07:32 PM Madman

Madman

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 14, 2013, 12:06:02 PM

dude lost weight and got slower....didn't know that was possible!!

So true. Makes no sense.

Then again Freeman seems to get more clueless as he gains more experience.

Go figure.
: January 14, 2013, 12:07:58 PM Madman

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 14, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

This cannot be overstated. Freeman has to run more. He kept so many drives alive with ball breaking runs in 2010.

I agree!

Apparently Schiano would prefer he wear a knee brace and stay in the pocket. It's been widely reported that Schiano doesn't want Freeman running.

I follow the team pretty closely and I've never heard mention of him not wanting Freeman to run. He makes the QB's wear a knee brace to try and avoid roll injuries.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 14, 2013, 02:38:02 PM

I agree!

I follow the team pretty closely and I've never heard mention of him not wanting Freeman to run. He makes the QB's wear a knee brace to try and avoid roll injuries.

I saw something where he doesnt mind if he runs but he doesnt want him running alot because the more that happens the more likely he is to sustain a big hit that could cause injury. He just doesnt want him trying to be Vick or RG3. Running a lot and taking big hits. If anything Freeman should learn how to avoid the big hit when running. You cant avoid it all the time but you can be more aware out there. I think they should allow him to do what hes good at. Getting out of the pocket and making things happen. Thats what he did in 2010. Get back to that with the good from this season and I think he can be a very solid QB here.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 14, 2013, 02:41:45 PM

I think there is a big difference in not wanting him to run first and taking off when things break down and the plays not there.

gone

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 14, 2013, 04:05:25 PM

With Doug on the team I doubt Freeman was encouraged to run. He has proven he can. I'd like to see him run the ball more often. Maybe next year.

What in the hell does Doug have to do with Freeman scrambling? 

Madman

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 14, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

Yeah I wouldn't expect Schiano/Sully to be calling any read-option plays for Freeman.

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 14, 2013, 04:14:35 PM

I agree!

I saw something where he doesnt mind if he runs but he doesnt want him running alot because the more that happens the more likely he is to sustain a big hit that could cause injury. He just doesnt want him trying to be Vick or RG3. Running a lot and taking big hits. If anything Freeman should learn how to avoid the big hit when running. You cant avoid it all the time but you can be more aware out there. I think they should allow him to do what hes good at. Getting out of the pocket and making things happen. Thats what he did in 2010. Get back to that with the good from this season and I think he can be a very solid QB here.

This decline in mobility started long before Rutgers got here. 

Year    Team                                      G    Att    Att/G Yds    Avg    Yds/G    
2012    Tampa Bay Buccaneers    16    39    2.4    139    3.6    8.7    0    
2011    Tampa Bay Buccaneers    15    55    3.7    238    4.3    15.9    
2010    Tampa Bay Buccaneers    16    68    4.2    364    5.4    22.8    
2009    Tampa Bay Buccaneers    10    30    3.0    161    5.4    16.1

Each year he has run less, and less effectively.  You can also see a difference when he runs, is is nowhere near as fluid, and nowhere near as aggressive.  There's a bigger issue there IMO, either mental or physical.

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 14, 2013, 04:41:35 PM

I agree!

Year    Team                                      G    Att    Att/G Yds    Avg    Yds/G    

Each year he has run less, and less effectively.  You can also see a difference when he runs, is is nowhere near as fluid, and nowhere near as aggressive.  There's a bigger issue there IMO, either mental or physical.

What? Each year he has run less? What I see is an increase from 2009's attempts (4.2 and 3.7 attempts is still 4 attempts IRL) and yardage and then a steep drop-off in 2012. There hasn't been a steady decline, it's a clear sharp drop off. THere's no other way to explain it other than this is how they've asked him to play, (ie minimal to no ad libbing). Someone said it's fear...again how? He has shpown throughout his career both in the NFL and in college that he's not afraid to tuck the ball and run, and not only run but look to run a defender over. Why would he now be fearful? It doesn't add up, which brings me back to him doing what the coaching staff has asked. Remember "toes on the line"? That's who his coach is (no knock on Schiano).

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#27 : January 14, 2013, 04:44:43 PM

Maybe we should design more runs for Freeman next year.
Either...
A) He successfully picks up some firsts and extends some drives...
or
B) He does get hurt, and we can start moving on.

Totally conservative football is boring and doesn't usually get you to the playoffs.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 14, 2013, 05:10:23 PM

No logical reason he shouldn't be running more.  I seem to recall Schiano saying something to the effect of.....he has that option if he wants it.  Even Russell Wilson is not afraid to mix it up with defenders.

Freeman....          6/06      240

Russell Wilson.....5/11     206

Kaepernick..........6/05     230

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 14, 2013, 06:15:49 PM

I agree!

What? Each year he has run less? What I see is an increase from 2009's attempts (4.2 and 3.7 attempts is still 4 attempts IRL) and yardage and then a steep drop-off in 2012. There hasn't been a steady decline, it's a clear sharp drop off. THere's no other way to explain it other than this is how they've asked him to play, (ie minimal to no ad libbing). Someone said it's fear...again how? He has shpown throughout his career both in the NFL and in college that he's not afraid to tuck the ball and run, and not only run but look to run a defender over. Why would he now be fearful? It doesn't add up, which brings me back to him doing what the coaching staff has asked. Remember "toes on the line"? That's who his coach is (no knock on Schiano).

Um, no, 4.2 and 3.7 are not the same "IRL".  They are different.  13 less runs over the course of a season.  And his yards/per is the more telling stat as it has decreased pretty consistently over the last two years as well.  The yards per also give you a better idea of how effectively he is running rather than attempts.  He is not as effective, period.  It's very obvious when you watch him try and run now.  And there have been many times over last year and 2011 where he would have been better off running it and simply did not, this too has been pretty obvious.

Either he can't run, or he doesn't want to. Either way, his mobility is no longer a big factor in his game.  Which is a shame, because for a deep-ball QB like Josh, mobility is a tremendous asset. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman's rushing totals plunged from 364 yards in 2010 to ....139 last season, « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools