Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tight end is a major need for the Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 14, 2013, 12:13:21 AM

2013 NFL Draft: Travis Kelce Scouting Report -- Buccaneers interested?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 13, 11:09a

Andy Lyons

Tight end is a major need for the Buccaneers -- could Travis Kelce be an option early in the draft?

It's no secret that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers want to get better production at the tight end position. They struggled to get quality blocking, as Luke Stocker was mediocre both as a blocker and as a receiver, and Dallas Clark was their lone receiving threat. Clark is a free agent and did not look like a difference maker on offense. So where will the Buccaneers look for help? One surprising option would be Cincinnati Bearcats tight end Travis Kelce

Eric Stoner breaks it down for Rotoworld, and makes the tight end sound like the best player in this draft class:

Cincinnati senior Travis Kelce (younger brother of Eagles center, Jason Kelce) might have the most complete skillset of them all, though. A 6'6" 260 pound sledgehammer with speed and strength, Kelce will undoubtedly draw comparisons to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski as he goes through the pre-draft process.

Part of what makes Gronkowski such an impressive NFL tight end (and why Kelce compares favorably to him) is because he's a strong, technically sound, and tenacious blocker, and the Bearcats use his talents in a number of ways in their run game.

Read the entire Rotoworld article for a great breakdown of his strengths.

Even though he's most renowned for being a tenacious blocker, he averaged 3 catches per game for 55 receiving yards -- impressive production for a tight end primarily used as a blocker. With 45 catches for 722 yards on the season, Kelce exploded in his final season. And he saved the best for last, finishing his career at Cincinnati with 123 receiving yards in the Belk Bowl against Duke.

To be fair, though, I didn't see many special traits from Kelce as a receiver -- but I didn't see any poor traits either. In the two games I watched, his quarterback didn't give him the opportunity to make contested catches. That's one thing I'd like to see before recommending him as a high draft pick. But his quality as a blocker is undeniable, and if he can show his prowess in the Senior Bowl or in pre-draft workouts, he could jump up draft boards.

Still, Kelce may be an impressive blocker and he appears to have the speed to get down the field, his speed in and out of breaks is less than impressive. That doesn't mean he can't be very productive on the field, but it does mean he needs to discern himself by making those contested catches I mentioned. One thing I did see, though, was his ability get down the seam with speed, make a tough catch and take the ball down the field. That's something the Bucs lacked completely this season: seam throws appeared to be a thing of the past, and a large part of that was the inability of the tight ends to make vertical plays.

The Bucs want a tight end who can be both a blocker and a threat as a receiver, and Kelce may just be that kind of player. More so than Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz and Jordan Reed, who are mostly receivers.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/13/3872148/2013-nfl-draft-travis-kelce-scouting-report-buccaneers-interested
: January 14, 2013, 02:25:34 AM michael89156

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#1 : January 14, 2013, 02:14:26 AM

This year's class is loaded.  Any one of these guys could be an impact player.  Hell, I wouldn't mind doubling up if we just went crazy signing defensive players in free agency.  Would love to get both Reed and Kelce to be our version of Gronk and Gonzalez.  Given Freeman's accuracy (or lack thereof), TE's could be much more effective than a short little slot WR.

Eifert
Ertz
Reed
Kelce
Toilolo
Otten
Escobar
Sims

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#2 : January 14, 2013, 03:37:43 AM

I don't think the Bucs are that bad at tight end.  Dallas Clark is still a decent player and Stocker isn't that bad.   He's about as good as Ron Hall was for the Bucs and Hall was a decent TE.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#3 : January 14, 2013, 03:47:37 AM

I don't think the Bucs are that bad at tight end.  Dallas Clark is still a decent player and Stocker isn't that bad.   He's about as good as Ron Hall was for the Bucs and Hall was a decent TE.
Dallas Clark is a free agent, and could very well retire.  Stocker is merely average IMHO.  He's definitely not someone who opposing coaches have to gameplan around like Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Gonzalez, or Vernon Davis.  We have a chance to pick up at least one TE that could be a potent offensive weapon for years.  The NFL is about creating mismatches, imagine the mismatches that having VJax, Williams, Martin, Reed, and Kelce on the field at once would cause.  Unlikely to say the least, but something to consider. 

Here's a more in depth scouting report of Kelce:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42294/321/watch-out-for-te-kelce

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#4 : January 14, 2013, 03:56:27 AM

I still don't think it's a major need.   Indeed they need to sign a free agent - Dallas Clark would be fine for one more season.    Freeman has so many weapons to work with, the team does not need to go out and spend a high draft pick on a tight end.

Right now, they need to focus on their true major need.    Defense.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Tampafan8251

Starter
#5 : January 14, 2013, 09:08:15 AM

It is a major need. When you have two beast wideouts but no tight end to stretch the middle they will focus on Vjax an MW every time we go deep. Drafting one of those tight ends or signing Bennett or cook is a must if you ask m

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 14, 2013, 09:34:54 AM

its a need but i wouldnt call it major. we cannot invest a pick in a TE until at least the 4th. we can get by with what we have at TE much better than what we have at DB and DL right now. i wouldnt mind escobar or fauria in the 4th round. both bring size, receiving ability, and blocking. Reed doesnt block so i dont want him. sims can block and catch but i have questions about his ability to seperate at the NFL level. toilolo and kelce are both decent options as well. Ertz would be my first choice but i dont see us making a pick that early on a TE

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 14, 2013, 09:50:12 AM

I'd take a guy who is less talented pass catcher but better overall blocker. I'm sick of the days where what TE was playing largely determined the play call.

This guy who is a great blocker and has potential as a pass catcher works for me, not in the first but possible the 2nd or 3rd.

I thought we had this in Luke Stocker but we haven't seen him flash in the pass game and his run blocking skills do not seem to standout.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Tobias Funke

Starter
#8 : January 14, 2013, 10:30:28 AM

The guy is not a bad receiver by any means. I'd be a fan.

danimal09

Starter

#9 : January 14, 2013, 10:34:22 AM

I think TE is the second biggest need we have right next to Dline and  below CB obviously. I would love to draft one of these receiving threat TEs and sign Bennett as a FA.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 14, 2013, 03:38:34 PM

The guy is not a bad receiver by any means. I'd be a fan.

Very fluid runner. If he is really 6'6 260 and as good of a blocker as they say he is, he'll be gone by the late 1st round.

Not as rigid during cuts as I thought he'd be.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 14, 2013, 08:44:50 PM

I don't see it as a huge need right now.  If Dallas is not resigned, sign Martelious.  I wouldn't mind a ....all defensive draft.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

HolyBuc

Starter
#12 : January 14, 2013, 09:52:43 PM

I really like Michael Robinson Alabama very good blocker and underrated reciever.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 14, 2013, 10:12:02 PM

Apparently every position we don't have an elite player at is a "major need".

Tampafan8251

Starter
#14 : January 14, 2013, 10:21:42 PM

You mean Michael Williams from Bama? and yes he is a beast at blocking but we need a threat to catch the ball who also blocks alittle bit, Schiano coached in the Big Eas so I assume he knows a lot about Kelce who I think is a beast and he is getting comparisons to Gronk which Idk enough about him to even say he's close to that...if we don't sign Bennett in FA, Charlie Campbell was saying he heard that we are targeting a Tight End very early in the draft, think top 3 rounds you will have Eifert, Ertz, Jordan Reed and Kelce as the main guys that we should look at, I would take any one of them
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tight end is a major need for the Buccaneers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools