Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pete Carroll was told.......no practice kicks allowed. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 14, 2013, 12:19:05 AM

Pete Carroll: Refs said practice kicks weren't allowed

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor   NFL.com
Published:  Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

The Seattle Seahawks nearly pulled off the greatest fourth-quarter comeback in NFL playoff history. And yet Pete Carroll and his crew will spend much of the offseason wondering: What if?

This was a game the Seahawks should have won. They scored zero points on two trips inside the 15-yard line in the first half. And they should have been able to capitalize on Russell Wilson's sensational effort after they grabbed the lead with 31 seconds left. Perhaps the most confusing moment came when Carroll took a timeout before Atlanta Falcons kicker Matt Bryant's game-winning field goal.

Carroll took a timeout, then Bryant was able to get off a "practice kick." Bryant missed it. Carroll was irate after the play because of a pregame conversation he had with officials, who warned him that kickers wouldn't be able to take a practice kick, like Justin Tucker did between overtime periods in the Baltimore Ravens' win Saturday.

"The officials told us before the game that nobody's going to get a chance to do that," Carroll said. "I asked them pregame what if somebody does, and they didn't know what the answer was, obviously. I had never heard that before, so I was just challenging it."

It's quite possible Carroll misunderstood what the officials told him before the game. The situation was much different  Sunday in Atlanta than it was Saturday in Denver.

Still, it's hard not to wonder if Bryant would have made the kick without a practice attempt. Icing the kicker has been statistically proven not to help. Giving Bryant an extra swing at the ball only hurt Carroll.

(Also a detriment for the Seahawks: They blitzed on Atlanta's two completions on the game-winning drive. The blitzer was late both times.)

A lot of stories will be written about the Falcons finally getting over the hump with their 30-28 win. They deserve a ton of credit, but Seattle's mistakes in the first half and its approach in the final 31 seconds helped along the way.

"I would have really liked it if he missed the kick," Carroll said.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 14, 2013, 01:15:14 AM

I was wondering what the hell he was so pissed off about.   You could clearly see he called the timeout.

Well you would of got your wish Pete, if you didn't try the dumb icing trick.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 14, 2013, 03:37:18 AM

I was wondering what the hell he was so pissed off about.   You could clearly see he called the timeout.

I swear I see that backfire more often than not.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 14, 2013, 12:23:31 PM

What Justin Tucker and Matt Bryant did are completely different.  Quit you're whining, Pete.  You f'ed up.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 14, 2013, 12:45:36 PM

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, if he missed the kick didnt he get another chance at it? It was first down and there was still time left.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 14, 2013, 01:10:17 PM

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, if he missed the kick didnt he get another chance at it? It was first down and there was still time left.

no, once you kick that's that

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 14, 2013, 01:48:43 PM

You cant re-kick. If the snap or hold is bad you can get another play though.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 14, 2013, 01:54:49 PM

You cant re-kick. If the snap or hold is bad you can get another play though.

Really? Thats kind of a wierd rule. So then what happens if they miss it? The other team takes over? It was still first down.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 14, 2013, 01:56:14 PM

Yep once you kick in any fashion: punt, FG kickoff the other team gets the ball.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 14, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

Thanks for clarifying that.

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 14, 2013, 04:00:00 PM

While I 100% agree the icing thing is stupid and ineffective, The whistle had already blown and the entire rhythm of the play was changed and Bryant just laid it up there.

That kick was a gimme for Matt.  I got the impression that he was just trolling the Seahawks and their fanbase by missing it after the "icing"

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 14, 2013, 05:12:53 PM

Never understand the calling timeout to ice the kicker theory. But someone on ESPN this morning said if their coach was going to call the timeout to ice the kicker, they were instructed to run across the line and get in front of the kicker to prevent a practice kick. Pete shouldn't have counted on the officials to do what they said previously in the heat of the situation. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 14, 2013, 05:15:57 PM

I like Carroll and he has done a good job there.  Along with their GM John Schneider.

But Carroll does seem a bit whiney at times.  The clock management at the end of the game was horrendous.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 14, 2013, 07:04:20 PM

Bryant rushed out on the field after rushing to get a last practice kick in. They had no timeouts left. Little time was on the clock. The Falcons season was on the line. There could not have been any more pressure on Bryant.

Pete Carroll screwed it up....and he got what he deserved for being stupid. What's next Pete? Blitz the center on a kneeldown play and risk injuring players for no reason? 

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 14, 2013, 08:18:35 PM

Bryant rushed out on the field after rushing to get a last practice kick in. They had no timeouts left. Little time was on the clock. The Falcons season was on the line. There could not have been any more pressure on Bryant.

Pete Carroll screwed it up....and he got what he deserved for being stupid. What's next Pete? Blitz the center on a kneeldown play and risk injuring players for no reason?

Agree, he actually did Bryant a favor by giving him a couple minutes to get it together.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pete Carroll was told.......no practice kicks allowed. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools