Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The next Josh Freeman? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
: January 14, 2013, 07:26:01 PM

One of the major suprises of the 2012 season, Russell Wilson has a knack for making plays. He waits and watches his WR fail to beat the coverage. He feels the pressure, he recognizes the blitz, and whips out of the pocket buying more time. Then, just when you think the play is over and Russell Wilson can't get away from the defender, one of his WRs cuts off their route and runs into open field. Bam! Completion for forty yards. But wait, this magic, we've seen it before. This style of play was reminiscent of Josh Freeman in his 2010 campaign. In that time, so seemingly long ago, Freeman was known for tuckin' and chuckin' it and coming out on top. What happened? After throwing 25 TDs and 6 pics (and scrambling for a few more) the Bay saw Josh Freeman's bright future crumble before it's eyes. The years following Josh Freemans first year as a starter, the former Pro Bowl alternate would post a paltry 43:39 TD-int ratio as Tampa would miss the playoffs two more years in a row. The burning question on every Bay Area local's mind: What Happened to Josh Freeman??

Could we witness a similar scenario in Seattle next year I wonder? It is said by some that teams spent full off-seasons looking and disencting Freeman's game tape and a sloution to his trickery was found. It is said by others that his coaches (Morris and Olsen) ruined him with conservative philosopys and a barrage of vanilla playbooks.  While watching the Seahawks play their last game of the season on Sunday something realy stuck out to me. The announcers could be repeatedly heard saying..."Russell Wilson, this kid is here to stay." But don't be too sure about that people. The offensive playcalling on Sunday seemed pretty vanilla and Russell Wilson's style of play warrants caution when you are talking about him being 'here to stay'. Im not saying Russell is destined for failure but I would caution folks to look at our own shortcomings before expecting him to be great in 2013.
: January 14, 2013, 07:29:17 PM TampaBucks05

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 14, 2013, 07:38:10 PM

385 yards passing was a rookie record, all the more impressive by a lack of a true No. 1 wideout. But can he fail? Sure. Anyone can fail.

In Verner We Trust

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 14, 2013, 07:50:21 PM

Thats something else thas been on my mind. Isn't it odd to everybody that all these passing records are being broken this year? I mean our own Josh Freeman broke a few records as well, but is he truely the best QB you've seen in a Buccaneer uniform? The rules of the game and how its played now allow for QBs to put up huge numbers more than ever and I think too many statistics are being overblown. Take last year for example. How many rookie records did Cam Newton break, also with out a true number one WR (or any true WR for that matter)? Well in 2012 Newton looked more anemic than Freeman at times.

I think the style of play of Russell Wilson, Josh Freeman, and Cam Newton (being able to break the sack, run out of the pocket, and make the big throw that is) is dangerous. Dangerous for the teams opposition and dangerous the team itself, to be clear. Its just that so much is left up to chance and so much can go wrong when your QB plays like they do, its a gamble to field them on gameday IMO.
: January 14, 2013, 07:54:21 PM TampaBucks05

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 14, 2013, 08:02:59 PM

Steve Smith was pretty good.
Your theory is interesting but there is no fail safe method. Peyton has gone on and out 8 times has he not?

In Verner We Trust

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 14, 2013, 08:29:57 PM

Interesting point.
    TBH, I don't recall Josh's tendancy for brain farts early-on we've seen from him lately.
    The one that always irks me is Josh throwing to a receiver who's double covered short of the LOS, with no change of escape. I saw Wilson in the same situation vs the Falcons where he wisely just threw the ball at the receivers feet. Wilson just looks like a real level-headed guy; being under pressure to make the right decision quickly and execute seems to come easy for him. Hope Josh develops into that kind of QB!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 14, 2013, 08:39:35 PM

385 yards passing was a rookie record, all the more impressive by a lack of a true No. 1 wideout. But can he fail? Sure. Anyone can fail.

Sydney Rice, Golden Tate ?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 14, 2013, 09:29:41 PM

What Josh has done by collapsing is not as unprecedented as what say MC80 did but it is still very rare. Usually good stays good. If I had to bet I'd say Wilson is gonna be good.

Wilson isn't my question but Luck. People overlooked that Luck tossed a ton of picks and wasn't super accurate because that teams was so bad last year anything good was amazing. They won't be overlooging those flaws in his game moving forwards when it comes to evaluating him.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 14, 2013, 09:34:29 PM

Wilson looks very good. Patient, keeps his eyes down field and he feels the pressure coming. Things Josh really need to work on. People will say those are things you can't learn. I say BS to that.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 14, 2013, 09:35:01 PM

Neither is a No. 1.

In Verner We Trust

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 14, 2013, 09:42:03 PM

Wilson looks very good. Patient, keeps his eyes down field and he feels the pressure coming. Things Josh really need to work on. People will say those are things you can't learn. I say BS to that.

If they can be learned why aren't they? Most QB's don't fail because they aren't physically capable (the ones people think can start not talking Gradkowskis here here) but because the mental and emotional aspects of the job crush them. It isn't like FReeman has never been taught mechanics in his life...he just doesn't seem to learn it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

smithcar

Starter

#10 : January 14, 2013, 10:01:52 PM

Let's not bash Freeman too much. Would I love to see him be more consistent, you bet! But let's not forget he had a stretch this year that was really good. Is there room to improve yes, can he improve, I hope so? Yes he still overthrows targets to much and throws bad picks to often. He is never going to complete 70% of his passes so if that is what you want you are not going to like him.  Do I want to give up on him? not yet, he deserves another season at least, should we draft a QB, probably. Should it be early, not in my opinion we have too many other holes. Let's Improve our D and take some pressure off Freeman, by not giving up 400 yds passing every week. Maybe then we can run the offence Schiano wants without throwing the ball so much.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 14, 2013, 10:07:26 PM

Good #2 WR, good slot WR.

Get a #1 and they have an excellent WR core.

McCoy93

Starter

#12 : January 14, 2013, 10:56:19 PM

Golden Tate and Sidney Rice aren't premier #1's. but anyways' I'm expecting some sort of drop off from Russell Wilson next season whether it be an increase in interceptions. After years of watching football the lattar is more likely to happen

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 14, 2013, 11:02:58 PM

It's not relevant what we expect. He's already made it to the playoffs, won a playoff game, won 11 games in a season. Freeman hasn't done any of those things. Can Freeman do it? I hope so. But it's possible he will not.

In Verner We Trust

Sim

Starter

#14 : January 14, 2013, 11:12:46 PM

It's the NFL. Some rookies light it up their first year but once defenses have a full season of tape to analyze then they come back down to earth.

I especially expect this to happen to Kaepernick once teams figure out how to take away the run threat.

Russell Wilson...I'm not sure. To be honest, the guy reminded me more of Aaron Rodgers than he did of Mike Vick. I think he very well may be "here to stay".
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The next Josh Freeman? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools