Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report Suggests Jon Gruden wanted Carolina Panthers job « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 15, 2013, 12:00:09 AM »

Report Suggests Jon Gruden wanted Carolina Panthers job

January 14, 2013   ·

By Eric Schmidt

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden name is frequently linked to coaching vacancies in both college and the NFL. Eight coaching vacancies have opened around the NFL this season, but Gruden has not officially been linked to any of the openings and has not interviewed with any team according to reports. CBS insider Jason LaCanfora suggested this weekend that Gruden was contacted by four teams this offseason.

LaCanfora reported that sources told him that four college and NFL teams contacted Gruden but the opportunities presented to the ESPN broadcaster were not to his liking. No exact teams were named.

One team did potentially appeal to Gruden however, but the team did not fire their head coach. Sources told LaCanfora that Gruden really wanted the head coaching position with the Carolina Panthers. The opportunity to work with Cam Newton was appealing to Gruden. That is sort of ironic. On Gruden’s television show, Gruden’s Quarterback camp, where he sits down with quarterback prospects preparing to enter the NFL Draft, Gruden was hard on Newton.

During the show, Gruden asked Newton to recite a single play out of the Auburn playbook but Newton couldn’t recite one. That led many to question Newton’s potential heading into the draft.

Ultimately, sources to LaCanfora that Carolina never fired head coach Ron Rivera and the organizational flow of the team did not appeal to Gruden in the end. If Rivera leads the Panthers to another 7-9 season in 2013, Gruden might get his chance next season.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2013/01/nfl-rumors-report-suggests-jon-gruden-wanted-carolina-panthers-job/

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 15, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »

Idk if gruden would be that kind of guy or not, but getting the Carolina job would allow him to stick it to the glazers twice a season.

Also, I don't blame gruden for questioning newton on not knowing one single play. Even #4 Claiborne knows what a 3-4 is.

I still call BS though.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 15, 2013, 01:14:42 AM »

I could see it.   He would love to stick it to the Bucs.   He would be like Pete Carroll against the Niners.  Going for fake field goals up by 40.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 15, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »

He should have got it so Schiano could dust his ass twice a year. If he wanted the job that bad he could get the offensive coordinator job with just one phone call and move up because everybody knows Ron Rivera is a clown.

I'm calling BS on that report tho.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 15, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »

He should have got it so Schiano could dust his ass twice a year. If he wanted the job that bad he could get the offensive coordinator job with just one phone call and move up because everybody knows Ron Rivera is a clown.

Jon Gruden an offensive coordinator? The great boy wonder could never be anything less than a head coach.

Gruden and Cam would be a ticking time bomb. Those egos are just too big. Imagine Cam throwing a pick, walking to the sidelines and Gruden is scowling at him and has him in his doghouse. Sheeeeut. Cam is the type of player that does the superman when he down by 30, just let Jon Gruden make a funny face at him - Kaboom!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 15, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

Jon Gruden an offensive coordinator? The great boy wonder could never be anything less than a head coach.

Gruden and Cam would be a ticking time bomb. Those egos are just too big. Imagine Cam throwing a pick, walking to the sidelines and Gruden is scowling at him and has him in his doghouse. Sheeeeut. Cam is the type of player that does the superman when he down by 30, just let Jon Gruden make a funny face at him - Kaboom!

Gruden has grown an ego, hasn't he? And you certainly have a valid point about cam as well. Either he's really-really stupid, or the guy has a pretty good sized ego himself. Charging kids 175 a pop for autographs? As you said, doing the superman while losing? Sitting in the corner by himself like a ticked off, selfish crybaby? I'd say that's enough of his own antics myself.

I suppose one of two things could happen.. cam gets benched and whines, or cam understands who the alpha male is and goes out there and plays.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
« #6 : January 15, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »

Why? So he could get beat down by the Glazerboys twice a year? Hahahaha. Stay in the box[ESPN] Gru.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 15, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »

Epic fail by all of you in this thread.
1. Gruden would love to stick it to the Bucs. Why, more than any other ex-head coach? If anything, he has taken the high road more than any of us anticipated.
2. Gruden has a big ego. OK, but if anything he got more humble later in his Bucs' regime. He dialed it down. But the real problem wasn't that; it was talent eval and not establishing a QB of the future.
3. The great wonder boy? Remember that he never gave himself that label. The media did. So an inappropriate cheapshot.

In Verner We Trust

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 15, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

Doesnt surprise me he wants to stick it to his old team for firing him but why? He won a SB here and he was paid until the end of his contract. He has made it on national television as a broadcaster. Those are positives for him.

Now onto reasons for the panthers without sticking to his old team. They got a QB in there already who has proved he doesnt suck. Cam can play at this level. He needs to grow up a lot and also the team needs to get better around him. Their defense is coming along too. My point is they wouldnt have to go looking for a QB. That makes the Panthers an attractive place to coach.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 15, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Wow. Someone just made gruden's ego look small... ::)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 15, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

1. Gruden would love to stick it to the Bucs. Why, more than any other ex-head coach? If anything, he has taken the high road more than any of us anticipated.
2. Gruden has a big ego. OK, but if anything he got more humble later in his Bucs' regime. He dialed it down. But the real problem wasn't that; it was talent eval and not establishing a QB of the future.
3. The great wonder boy? Remember that he never gave himself that label. The media did. So an inappropriate cheapshot.

Yes it was just that pesky little problem, no biggie.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 15, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »

Wow. Someone just made gruden's ego look small... ::)
+1 lmao
You got me, bench.

In Verner We Trust
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report Suggests Jon Gruden wanted Carolina Panthers job « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools