Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Sullivan to stay with Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 15, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »

Bears Coaching Rumors: Trestman, Bevell finalists; Mike Sullivan to stay with Buccaneers

By Sander Philipse on Jan 14, 8:41p

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

The latest reports suggest that the Chicago Bears have narrowed their search to two finalists, and Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan isn't one of them.

The Chicago Bears interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan two weeks ago, and that interview reportedly went well. However it appears that the interview didn't go well enough for Sullivan to actually get the job.

Two twitter reports now suggest the Chicago Bears have narrowed their search for their new head coach to two candidates: Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman, and Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. As you may notice, Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan is not mentioned as a finalist, which means that he will stay with the Bucs barring a last-minute change.

First, David Haugh suggested that the Bears will interview two finalists:

David Haugh@DavidHaugh

According to one candidate who didn't get Bears job, he was told Emery will bring in 2 finalists to Halas Hall beginning tomorrow.

And Adam Schefter completed the report by naming the two finalists.

Adam Schefter●✔
@AdamSchefter

Bears will meet again with Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell and Montreal HC Marc Trestman, first 2 candidates to be identified as Bears finalists

The Bucs can now rest secure in the knowledge that their prized offensive coordinator is staying in Tampa, despite flirtations with a head coaching job in Chicago. This means that Josh Freeman gets to be in the same offensive system for a second consecutive year, which should help prevent him from turning into Alex Smith. The Bucs produced a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and were a few yards shy of producing two 1,000 yard receivers. That's some quality production, and given the fact that this was a complicated offense we should only see that production increase as the players become more comfortable in the system.

At least for now, we have another year of quality offense to look forward to. Hopefully, quarterback Josh Freeman can become a little more consistent. That will be the real key to next year's offensive production, now that it seems Mike Sullivan is returning.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/14/3877358/bears-coaching-rumors-trestman-bevell-finalists-mike-sullivan-to-stay

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 15, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »

That's a relief.

Without the same offense next season, Tampa would be left guessing at how good freeman would be in yet another offensive system.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 15, 2013, 01:16:17 AM »

Yeah I was hoping he would stay, Freeman has enough probs without a new guy coming in.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 15, 2013, 01:20:46 AM »

Step one to Freeman's amazing offseason turnaround  ;)

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 15, 2013, 07:33:31 AM »

Awesome.....one less excuse for the Freepologists.

-------------------------------------------------------

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 15, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »

Yeah, I must agree with you there, Hate. Put  or shut up.

In Verner We Trust

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 15, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »

I was never worried . He was the Bears' Marty Schottenheimer : someone they wanted to talk to , but never a real consideration.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 15, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

Awesome.....one less excuse for the Freepologists.

They still have a "laundry list" of excuses.

Definitely glad he is sticking around.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

big_JLB

Starter

« #8 : January 15, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »

this could quite possibly be the most important (non) move of the offseason. those who take a negative POV on freeman aren't giving enough credence to the fact that it was his 3rd offensive system in 4 years, and he still put up the numbers he did. yeah there were a lot of picks and bad throws, and i saw them just like all of you, but it's a known fact that sullivan's offense is complex and requires the QB and his receivers to be thinking the EXACT same thing. quite obviously, freeman and his receivers weren't. but i'm fairly confident that another offseason of practice and finally some offensive continuity will fix a lot of those bad decisions. 

i really think the 1-5 finish is still impairing a lot of people's view of the big picture. which is even with that **CENSORED**ty slide to finish the season freeman put up single-season franchise records for yards (4,065), TD's (27), is now the franchise leader in career TD's (78), AND the team was the highest scoring group in team history (389 points). i guess the superb level of QB play this franchise has enjoyed for the last 37 years has spoiled everyone. dude is only 24 and is re-writing the record books, but if he's not "elite" after 4 years, not perfect on every throw, well then he's a donkey.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 15, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

People want to trash Freeman. At times he deserved it, other times he didn't. I know one thing is true and even you Freehaters have to agree. If you want to get the best possible assessment of Josh Freeman, he needs the same OC and a majority of the same players. How often do you hear about QBs talking about establishing timing and chemistry with their receivers.

Sully staying in my mind and giving Freeman a 2nd year with this offense is exactly what Schiano needs to make a definitive decision on Mr. Freeman.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 15, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »

this could quite possibly be the most important (non) move of the offseason. those who take a negative POV on freeman aren't giving enough credence to the fact that it was his 3rd offensive system in 4 years, and he still put up the numbers he did. yeah there were a lot of picks and bad throws, and i saw them just like all of you, but it's a known fact that sullivan's offense is complex and requires the QB and his receivers to be thinking the EXACT same thing. quite obviously, freeman and his receivers weren't. but i'm fairly confident that another offseason of practice and finally some offensive continuity will fix a lot of those bad decisions. 

i really think the 1-5 finish is still impairing a lot of people's view of the big picture. which is even with that **CENSORED**ty slide to finish the season freeman put up single-season franchise records for yards (4,065), TD's (27), is now the franchise leader in career TD's (78), AND the team was the highest scoring group in team history (389 points). i guess the superb level of QB play this franchise has enjoyed for the last 37 years has spoiled everyone. dude is only 24 and is re-writing the record books, but if he's not "elite" after 4 years, not perfect on every throw, well then he's a donkey.

The 1-3 start and the 1-5 finish should have given some insight on what an inconsistent player the QB is. We keep hearing about how complex the system is, and how our 4th year QB can't quite get a full grip on it....well if that's the case then the coaching staff should have dumbed it down like the staffs of the 49ers, Seahawks, Colts, and 'Skins have with their young QBs. Freeman being in the first year of an offensive system has little to do with his terrible mechanics and inaccuracy.

The franchise records are irrelevant. As you stated sarcastically about the "superb" play from previous QBs in this franchise....that shows that the franchise history when it comes to offense is pitiful. So the fact that franchise passing records are being broken in a league that currently revolves around the passing game, it really isn't that big of a deal. He is now 25 and he is re-writing records that mean zilch.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

danimal09

Starter

« #11 : January 15, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »

Yay

big_JLB

Starter

« #12 : January 15, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »

The 1-3 start and the 1-5 finish should have given some insight on what an inconsistent player the QB is. We keep hearing about how complex the system is, and how our 4th year QB can't quite get a full grip on it....well if that's the case then the coaching staff should have dumbed it down like the staffs of the 49ers, Seahawks, Colts, and 'Skins have with their young QBs. Freeman being in the first year of an offensive system has little to do with his terrible mechanics and inaccuracy.

The franchise records are irrelevant. As you stated sarcastically about the "superb" play from previous QBs in this franchise....that shows that the franchise history when it comes to offense is pitiful. So the fact that franchise passing records are being broken in a league that currently revolves around the passing game, it really isn't that big of a deal. He is now 25 and he is re-writing records that mean zilch.

i see where you're coming from, but in this particular system it has everything to do with his perceived inaccuracy. if freeman and his receivers see the coverage and don't react the exact same way, #5 is going to look pretty inaccurate if his intended target goes in the opposite direction. i'm not here to make excuses, and granted freeman was never the most accurate passer, but in an offense that is based on options you have to be on the same page or else you look like an idiot. i think its more freeman making bad decisions and not having that mental connection (yet) with his receivers than him not being able to hit the broad side of a barn

every bucs fan should read this article about kevin gilbride's offense, because its what we run and it explains exactly what i've been trying to say. here are some key points:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/kevin-gilbride-option-offense-passing-game-fuels-ny-giants-article-1.1013448
The hands clap and the huddle breaks and the receivers jog out to their positions. Kevin Gilbride has already relayed the play to Eli Manning, but the receivers still have no idea where they’re going to go.
That’s part of the beauty of the Gilbride offense. Everything the receivers do is based on what happens next. Is there man-to-man coverage or a zone? Which way are the safeties shading? Are the corners pressing on the line or leaving a cushion?

Then, when the ball is snapped and the defense goes in motion, everything could change...again.
“Yeah, it’s definitely tough,” says receiver Victor Cruz. “It’s one of the biggest things I had to adjust to, learning how to read coverages and adjust mid-route. We had a few read-routes in college, but nothing to this extent where it’s 15 yards down field and you have to make an adjustment. Sometimes they may line up one way, then when the ball comes they move to somewhere else. So you have to see all of that.”
It’s a demanding system. It can be confusing. It can be frustrating, too, especially to a young player. It’s also explosive, “quarterback-friendly,” potent, and the most prolific offensive system the Giants franchise has ever seen.
“That’s the beauty of it,” says backup quarterback David Carr. “When we’re rolling, it’s hard to stop.”
That’s what the 60-year-old Gilbride has created in his eighth season with the Giants and fifth since taking over as the offensive coordinator. He’s helped turn Eli Manning from an erratic, interception-prone quarterback into a near-5,000-yard passer. He’s built an offensive machine that has rallied from six fourth-quarter deficits this year. It can strike so quickly, the Giants never feel like they’re out of a game.
What makes Gilbride appear pass-happy is this: He runs what everyone considers a “quarterback-friendly” offense that puts a lot of responsibility on the receivers and control in the quarterbacks’ hands. They throw because they can. And it works.
“A lot is asked of the quarterback,” Carr says. “You’ve got the freedom to do pretty much whatever you want. The playbook’s open to you. You’ve got to be on your game. But if you are, it’s a great thing.”
Explained very simply, Manning has the ability to change the play to almost anything in that week’s game plan, based on what he sees in the defensive alignment. And when he calls a pass play, the receivers have several options to change their routes on each play, depending on what the defense does. It’s complicated and hard to learn, and it can be very tricky for the quarterback and receiver to make sure they’re seeing exactly the same thing out of each defender.
Because there are so many options in Gilbride’s offense, though, when it’s run correctly there are more chances for it to work.
“You give the receivers several options to get open and when guys get open you, as a quarterback, have an opportunity to throw the ball,” Palmer says. “When a receiver doesn’t get open, that becomes a burden. It’s reassuring to the quarterback that ‘Hey, one of these guys are going to get open.’ I would say on most plays there’s going to be a guy that’s open in this offense.”
“I’ve been in offenses where it’s all based on progressions - 1, 2, 3, find the back,” Carr adds. “There’s some of that. But we’re trying to scheme. We’re trying to find the best possible play vs. that defense at that time to just gash them. That’s why it works.”
« : January 15, 2013, 10:24:12 AM big_jlb »

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 15, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »

Not to throw cold water on all this joy, but we don't actually know that Sullivan won't get another HC interview, do we? I'm not celebrating quite yet ;D Hopefully he stays and McNulty gets on board here too...

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 15, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

Not to throw cold water on all this joy, but we don't actually know that Sullivan won't get another HC interview, do we? I'm not celebrating quite yet ;D Hopefully he stays and McNulty gets on board here too...

Was actually my first thought as well.  Still a few openings out there.  Was Sullivan just interested in one specific opportunity or will he be checking out other teams as well?

Turn the page.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Sullivan to stay with Buccaneers « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools