Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Potential Early Round Bust Picks « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 15, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »

NFL Draft 2013: Top 10 Potential Early Round Bust Picks

By Seth Carson

January 13, 2013 1:14 pm

1) QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

The knock on Geno Smith continues to be his size. He lacks the typical frame for a starting NFL quarterback.

He’s a pocket passer and not a prototypical scrambler per se, which does translate well into Andy Reid’s style of offense.

Also, this presents a huge problem when it comes to his ability to absorb hits and remain uninjured.

Next, his throwing mechanics needs plenty of work, since he slings the ball at a 3/4th cut rather than the traditional overhead throw.

Smith also lacks good side to side agility which casts a major problem in avoiding getting sacked at the next level.

He’s a pocket version of Pat White, slower, less agility, but a stronger arm with an equally small frame.  None of these translates to a star in the NFL, one good smack and he could be riding pine for the season.

2) DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Hankins tends to get off to great starts each season only to falter through the remaining games of the season. Any team selecting him would have to get him conditioned for the next level, he won’t be of any good service to a team by sitting on the bench most of the game clutching the oxygen tank.

His problem isn’t so much physical more than mental; he just loses focus after a good start. Hankins is not one to put pressure on a QB, and the size of offensive lineman at the next level make him the next potential draft day bust.

3) LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

Ogletree has a history of off the field problems that translate to suspensions. He was suspended in both 2010 and 2011 for off the field issues, one being a theft charge. He also suffer a broken foot and missed half the season last year, and despite a strong returns and finish to the season, foot injuries (mainly broken feet) are the most reoccurring injuries next to knee and back injuries at the next level. His poor attitude and physical limits make him another bust pick.

4) WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

Austin at 5-9, 175 pounds, has too small of a frame to be anything but a situation player. He doesn’t have great speed to cover returns in the NFL, and his size would equally remove that realm of logic.

He could be utilized in the slot or as a scat back ala Eric Metcalf, but unless he can add beef to his frame before training camp, he won’t see many touches on game day. He does have excellent hands, but one good shot and his days in the NFL could be finished.

5) WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee

Hunter has a good size and frame, and also possesses a great set of hand, which should translate into a phenomenal second day pick. However, the ACL tear he suffered wasn’t the typical type and there a league wide history of players who enter at cutting position re-injuring the knee and never being able to fully produce again as they did in college (See Mario Hardesty for example).

ACL injuries are the most reoccurring injury in the NFL and due to the manner in which he tore the ligament makes him a risky pick in any round before the 3rd or 4th, and makes him a big risk pick on draft day.

6) QB Matt Barkley, Southern California

The best way to summarize Barkley over the past two seasons is by making the comparison to Matt Leinart. He’s not the tallest player at his position, and this season his field vision proved to be an ongoing issue many noticed in 2011.

His lack of good speed outside the pocket and making errant throws when under pressure in and out of the pocket, doesn’t translate well at the next level. Barkley has a cannon arm but his accuracy is another issue scouts will key in on as he heads into the combines.

His size over is compare to Drew Brees, but his mechanics and tangibles are not in the same area code. Of all the players listed thus far, he has the most potential to be a bust pick.

7) S Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

Rambo has good size and speed, which translates will at the next level. The problem remains his unfortunate level of immaturity off the field. He was suspended four games last season after failing a drug test for marijuana use, and has also been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

The type off immature decisions often reoccur early on in the NFL, and unless he grows up between now and training camp, he has rick place over him as a draft pick.

8 DE Tank Carradine, Florida State

Carradine had a very nasty ACL tear last season and is still recovering, moreover, he is likely to miss both the scouting combine and training camp. Entering the regular season fresh off an ACL recovery is not a good decision, and he may never be anything more than a bench depth option in the NFL.

He won’t ever fully posses the explosiveness off the corner that made him a solid addition to the front four pass rush in Tallahassee.

9) QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma

It’s no secret in the NFL that you don’t draft starting QB’s out of the Big 12, as majority have panned out to be draft busts. His throwing decisions will make him a threat to throw more picks than touchdowns, and he doesn’t possess the greatest footwork and is the slowest QB in the Draft.

He gets rattled quickly out of the pocket and doesn’t possess a high amount of patience to look of receivers and throw under pressure, which won’t bode well for him at the next level. Risky pick right up there with Barkely.

10) QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Bray is yet another amongst a string of QBs in this Draft that doesn’t possess the tangibles to be more than a contributor at the next level. Bray’s footwork is horrible and it clearly affects his accuracy, which both are needed to reach any sort of success in the NFL.

He is a tall QB, but has very little size to absorb blows in the pocket. Tons of work will be required just for him to be a backup in the NFL and not a third stringer; he has the potential to be a huge bust in this year’s Draft.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/nfl-draft-2013-top-10-potential-early-round-bust-picks/20812/

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 15, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »

The knock on Geno Smith continues to be his size. He lacks the typical frame for a starting NFL quarterback.

He’s a pocket passer and not a prototypical scrambler per se, which does translate well into Andy Reid’s style of offense.

Also, this presents a huge problem when it comes to his ability to absorb hits and remain uninjured.

Next, his throwing mechanics needs plenty of work, since he slings the ball at a 3/4th cut rather than the traditional overhead throw.

Smith also lacks good side to side agility which casts a major problem in avoiding getting sacked at the next level.

He’s a pocket version of Pat White, slower, less agility, but a stronger arm with an equally small frame.  None of these translates to a star in the NFL, one good smack and he could be riding pine for the season.

Huh?    Geno Smith.....6-3   220 lbs.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 15, 2013, 01:44:28 AM »

Tavon Austin does not have great speed? Dumbest this i have ever read. He is the fastest football players I have ever seen.

Bucstopshere5

Starter
« #3 : January 15, 2013, 01:48:27 AM »

Tavon Austin does not have great speed? Dumbest this i have ever read. He is the fastest football players I have ever seen.

Exactly my thoughts. Guy has never watched him play if he doesn't have the "speed" for the NFL. It's funny cause I remember him tourching that LSU defense up and down the field and run a kick back that game...

And Geno Smith's biggest concern is his size?! Lol. No, it's the offense and consistency. His arm and size are the least of scouts worries

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #4 : January 15, 2013, 02:44:25 AM »

This "writer's" grasp of the English language is atrocious, as is his grasp of the sport of football.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 15, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »

i question this writer's understanding of modern medicine. sure hunter and carradine had ACL tears but Adrian Peterson proved that you can come back strong off a nasty tear if you work hard in rehab and take care of your body. hell he had his best year ever. peterson is definately the exception and not the rule but its definately not out of the realm of possibility for a player to be ready to go in 8-10 months if they stick to their rehab regimine. ACL tears arent career killers anymore

i also dont get the geno smith size question. he is a little scrawny looking but 6'3 220 is not that small. hes got the same build as RGIII and hes not going to be used to run the read option

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #6 : January 15, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »

Huh?    Geno Smith.....6-3   220 lbs.

....and we heard the same thing about Russell Wilson's size. Sometimes I think many journalist write whats on top of their head without doing research. Mentioning 6-3 220 as not a typical size is a dumb thing to write about.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 15, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »

I didn't know Baccari Rambo was considered an 'early round draft pick' lol.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 15, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »

Tavon Austin would be a bust if you're looking for a #1 WR, but people are already looking at him as a slot receiver. Also, there's already a handful of players his size who have shown that they can produce at an NFL level without always being hurt, so size isn't a concern. One thing I do agree about though is his speed. He may have elite speed, but I rarely saw it while looking at his game tape. He is more shifty with good vision than speedy. The only thing I would be worried about is Freeman throwing terrible passes over the middle that get him blown up.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #9 : January 15, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

Two Tennessee players? Must be a gator fan.

Go Bucs

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 15, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

Tavon Austin would be a bust if you're looking for a #1 WR, but people are already looking at him as a slot receiver. Also, there's already a handful of players his size who have shown that they can produce at an NFL level without always being hurt, so size isn't a concern. One thing I do agree about though is his speed. He may have elite speed, but I rarely saw it while looking at his game tape. He is more shifty with good vision than speedy. The only thing I would be worried about is Freeman throwing terrible passes over the middle that get him blown up.
then you must be watching film in slow motion

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 15, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

If history repeats itself, one of the QB's will ermerge out of this draft a star. I don't think it will be Geno though.  I get the Jamarcus vibe off of Geno.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 15, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »

If history repeats itself, one of the QB's will ermerge out of this draft a star. I don't think it will be Geno though.  I get the Jamarcus vibe off of Geno.

No, Jamarcus was a lazy schlep. That isn't the vibe off Geno. It is more the Weedon sort of issue about being a system guy without really any identifiable elite tools.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

McCoy93

Starter

« #13 : January 15, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »

I think Tyler Wilson will be a solid starter one day
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Potential Early Round Bust Picks « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools