Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Xavier Rhodes really a good fit as a Bucanneer? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 15, 2013, 07:52:30 PM

I want to see his shuttle run and 40 time at the combine , but I do like him.

this right here

as an FSU or, as Chace would call me a homer, i like rhodes a great deal. ive seen him shutdown first round receivers and play the ball very well. i do not however advocate him at 13 right now until i see his true speed. he looks football fast but i dont know if he has the speed to cover a julio jones or a calvin johnson. if he tests well then im all for him at 13. i think hes worth it in the early 20s if we were to trade back. worst case scenario if hes not quick enough at corner he can definately play Free Safety. dont really want to spend the pick and then convert to safety but at least he wouldnt be a total waste of a pick

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 15, 2013, 08:55:20 PM

I want to see his shuttle run and 40 time at the combine , but I do like him.

this right here

as an FSU or, as Chace would call me a homer, i like rhodes a great deal. ive seen him shutdown first round receivers and play the ball very well. i do not however advocate him at 13 right now until i see his true speed. he looks football fast but i dont know if he has the speed to cover a julio jones or a calvin johnson. if he tests well then im all for him at 13. i think hes worth it in the early 20s if we were to trade back. worst case scenario if hes not quick enough at corner he can definately play Free Safety. dont really want to spend the pick and then convert to safety but at least he wouldnt be a total waste of a pick

I like him, but not at #13.  And he is probably gone by the Bucs second round pick.  So it may require Dom to do a little moving around.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 15, 2013, 09:15:05 PM

Too many potentially great D-Lineman in the draft, and one or two should be available at 13. Trade back into the late 1st for the CB, even though it may be expensive to move up from the 43rd pick.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 15, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

I want to see his wonderlic score. That's all that matters.

this right here

Lol. I only kid. I'm a fan of Rhodes at #13 as well.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 15, 2013, 10:11:23 PM

Here are the stats by themselves for the three top prospects.

Xavier-  112 solo tackles, 2 sacks, 8 ints, 0 tds, 31 pass deflects, and 1 forced fumble. (In three seasons in the Acc)
Banks-  139 solo tackles, 4 sacks, 15 ints, 3 tds, 41 pass deflects, and 5 forced fumbles. (In four seasons in the SEC)
Milliner- 89 solo tackles, 1 sack, 6 ints, 1 td, 41 pass deflects, and 2 forced fumbles (in three seasons in the SEC)

Now, I'm not strictly a stat guy, but one of these guys numbers are obviously much better than the others. However, going by statistical breakdown, each have their own talents they bring.

Banks has the advantage of playing a season longer. He was also injured, so that obviously cuts into his advantage a tad. Banks seemingly takes advantage of opportunities, not unlike our own barber. Xavier has only three seasons to Banks four, but he could play one more season, and he still, statistically speaking, wouldn't have more interceptions than Banks. Milliner and Banks are very similar in coverage apparently, as they both do indeed have the same number of pass deflects, however milliner had less time than banks.

There is no way around it really. Banks is the superior corner if it weren't for the injury question mark IMO. However, all of them would benifet the bucs, so it doesn't matter. We should all be happy if we draft any one of them.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 15, 2013, 10:49:53 PM

I don't get how watching a guy do track and field in shorts and a t-shirt tells his "real speed".

The combine is fun, but it has nothing to do with game speed. Gotta watch game film to gauge that.

Draft Aaron Donald

bashear

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 15, 2013, 11:08:40 PM

I don't get how watching a guy do track and field in shorts and a t-shirt tells his "real speed".

The combine is fun, but it has nothing to do with game speed. Gotta watch game film to gauge that.
From what I've read from scouts over the years, they pay attention to "shorts" speed to either back up what they've seen on film or, if the timed speed doesn't match up with their perception from game tape, try to go back and watch some more tape.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 15, 2013, 11:19:50 PM

Xavier-  112 solo tackles, 2 sacks, 8 ints, 0 tds, 31 pass deflects, and 1 forced fumble. (In three seasons in the Acc)
Banks-  139 solo tackles, 4 sacks, 15 ints, 3 tds, 41 pass deflects, and 5 forced fumbles. (In four seasons in the SEC)
Milliner- 89 solo tackles, 1 sack, 6 ints, 1 td, 41 pass deflects, and 2 forced fumbles (in three seasons in the SEC)

Now, I'm not strictly a stat guy, but one of these guys numbers are obviously much better than the others. However, going by statistical breakdown, each have their own talents they bring.

Banks has the advantage of playing a season longer. He was also injured, so that obviously cuts into his advantage a tad. Banks seemingly takes advantage of opportunities, not unlike our own barber. Xavier has only three seasons to Banks four, but he could play one more season, and he still, statistically speaking, wouldn't have more interceptions than Banks. Milliner and Banks are very similar in coverage apparently, as they both do indeed have the same number of pass deflects, however milliner had less time than banks.

There is no way around it really. Banks is the superior corner if it weren't for the injury question mark IMO. However, all of them would benifet the bucs, so it doesn't matter. We should all be happy if we draft any one of them.

lol really, comparing a defensive back with plain stats like that?

at least bring in the number of times they were targeted, the number of times passes were completed on them, the passer rating against them if you were going to talk about defensive back stats

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#23 : January 15, 2013, 11:38:08 PM

at least bring in the number of times they were targeted, the number of times passes were completed on them, the passer rating against them if you were going to talk about defensive back stats
seriously, A reason why Banks has more interceptions is that he's a big gambler. I think his comparison would be Talib.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 16, 2013, 12:12:06 AM

NFL Mock Draft 2013: Xavier Rhodes -- in the first round?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 15, 10:42a

USA TODAY Sports

We turn our attention to a new mock draft today, as Dane Brugler decided to have a little unorthodox fun in his latest one. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers grab a very surprising player there: Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes, a player who has generally been described as a second-rounder. Not that Rhodes is a bad player, far from it: he's physical, discpilned, has good ball skills, is a solid tackler and has great size, speed and ability to turn. There's just one problem: he only ever played zone coverage in college.

That doesn't mean he can't play man coverage, but he's not had a lot of practice doing it. The transition period will likely take longer than usual, and there's a chance he won't be able to do it at all. The Bucs don't play a lot of zone coverage, and as a blitz-heavy team they need cornerbacks who can cover players one-on-one. Is Rhodes that kind of player? Brugler seems to think so:

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: Even before the Buccaneers traded Aqib Talib to the Patriots, the cornerback position was a weak spot for Tampa Bay. Rhodes doesn't have elite speed, but he plays quick, physical and smart with potential to be one of the best bump-and-run corners at the next level.

That's not the only weird move in this mock draft, though. Brugler also has Star Lotulelei falling to the Bucs -- and then he has the Bucs passing on him. I haven't seen much of Lotulelei, but he's generally seen as the single best player in the draft. And the Bucs could certainly a nose tackle who can get after the quarterback as well as stuff the run. Another faller is Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan, a physically extremely gifted player with a ton of potential and versatility, but he lacks polish. He compares with Jason Pierre-Paul and Aldon Smith because of those physical gifts and raw ability combined with a lack of developed skills.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/15/3878866/nfl-mock-draft-2013-xavier-rhodes-in-the-first-round

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 16, 2013, 12:35:48 AM

Why is this the second time today that I've heard this misinformation?

Anyone who has seen a FSU game knows that they run both man and zone. The whole reason Rhodes is even considered a first rounder is because he's above average at man coverage.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 16, 2013, 01:17:13 AM

Agree.  The number of times they got scorched would be telling.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 16, 2013, 01:27:23 AM

So, if a guy isn't targeted ever, he must be the best cornerback ever? Sound logic

Even though the guy might have been targeted a ton of times, he also intercepted it plenty of times, and ran tds back as well.

As for the stats, the "plain" comparison is fine. I'm neither a ESPN guru, nor an analyst professionally, and it's not my thread to clutter up. If you want to post something like that, be my guest. I would love to read it btw.

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 16, 2013, 01:39:14 AM

Rhodes played a ton of press man coverage at FSU. Also physical for the most part. I like his ability change direction and make a play on the ball. But as a Noles fan I am also biased. At No. 13? Hmmm...Maybe. but would like to see Bucs trade down and pick up a pick, or move back in the late first if he falls that far. Here is a decent highlight video

MC

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#29 : January 16, 2013, 03:24:08 AM

If you think he's our guy take him at 13, if you can move down and get him ala Mark Barron, then more power to you. He's my number 2 guy behind Millner. Senior Bowl is going to make or break Banks for me

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Xavier Rhodes really a good fit as a Bucanneer? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools