Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#45 : January 15, 2013, 04:22:59 PM

I don't know that the NT really needs to draw double teams in this defense so much as he just needs to beat his man more, get more penetration, and add to the disruption factor.  If he can collapse the pocket a little more, it will lead to more sacks/int opportunities for others.
It's absolutely essential either the NT or UT gets double teamed or else the center will take out the MLB on every play. The UT is a better pass rusher than NT so you want your NT to eat up two blocks so the UT only has to beat one blocker to get to the QB.

And we come full circle. The original thought that a dominant NT who will eat the center and a guard and still disrupt on a constant basis will do more to help the pass defense than a DE who has to rotate with Clayborn, Bowers, and Bennett.

Eating blockers might not seem that important to DJ and others, but to me it's the keystone of the defense. Everything revolves around the NT's ability to draw a double.  If he does his job well then the DT and DE get to the QB faster, which in turn will take the pressure off the CB's.

Get a stud NT, and stop stunting and blitzing to cover for Miller.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 15, 2013, 04:26:38 PM

Well as the pic DJ posted showed, you do this by scheme and not talent. You line up the NT in the 1-technique in between the C and RG and you line up the UT in the 3-technique in between the LG and LT. That way the C is too far away from the UT to double team him without leaving a gigantic hole in the middle of the line. It becomes virtually impossible for the UT to be double teamed by two offensive linemen unless the LT blocks down and then the RDE is blocked one-on-one by a TE, which just opens up a great opportunity for the RDE. That's what Dungy and Kiffin did for ten years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 15, 2013, 04:33:27 PM

Yup.  I remember people insisting back in the day that noone would ever double Hovan.  Because seriously, why would you double Hovan?  I also remember specifically keying on that in several games and seeing that sure enough, Hovan got doubled fairly routinely.  I don't think it was really because he was such an awesome player.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 15, 2013, 04:44:14 PM

Don't get me wrong if you're a 4-3 team and have the opportunity to get Haloti Ngata, you take him, but it's not even close to a requirement.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#49 : January 15, 2013, 04:53:04 PM

Well as the pic DJ posted showed, you do this by scheme and not talent. You line up the NT in the 1-technique in between the C and RG and you line up the UT in the 3-technique in between the LG and LT. That way the C is too far away from the UT to double team him without leaving a gigantic hole in the middle of the line. It becomes virtually impossible for the UT to be double teamed by two offensive linemen unless the LT blocks down and then the RDE is blocked one-on-one by a TE, which just opens up a great opportunity for the RDE. That's what Dungy and Kiffin did for ten years.

The average fan doesn't get this concept , even when you show them pictures.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#50 : January 15, 2013, 05:15:54 PM

They have to double even an average NT because of alignment, so while it isn't a position of great importance....if you can actually find a rare NT that not only eats blocks and stops the run, but can also pass rush, well then it opens a whole new realm of possibilities and makes everyone on the D-line look much better.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#51 : January 15, 2013, 05:25:49 PM

They have to double even an average NT because of alignment, so while it isn't a position of great importance....if you can actually find a rare NT that not only eats blocks and stops the run, but can also pass rush, well then it opens a whole new realm of possibilities and makes everyone on the D-line look much better.

That player is more rare than finding a purple unicorn .

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 15, 2013, 05:27:05 PM

I saw a purple unicorn on Dale Mabry this morning.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#53 : January 15, 2013, 06:19:12 PM

I must admit to not watching enough line play closely this year, but are you guys saying the Bucs are not lining up with the UT far enough away from the C?  While moving him out more could help pass rush, what does it take away from Run D?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 15, 2013, 06:52:09 PM

I think the NT alignment this year directly correlates to the improved run defense.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#55 : January 15, 2013, 07:00:32 PM

I think the NT alignment this year directly correlates to the improved run defense.

Could be.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#56 : January 16, 2013, 07:51:52 AM

Speaking of DTs....has anyone seen Roy Miller lately? I think he's doing the Freeman diet this offseason!

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#57 : January 16, 2013, 08:24:14 AM

Agreed, and I think Star has the potential to be a purple unicorn.....

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#58 : January 16, 2013, 09:24:02 AM

If Star really is a purple unicorn, I wouldn't have a problem taking him, as long as we have shored up the CB position through FA.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 16, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

Speaking of DTs....has anyone seen Roy Miller lately? I think he's doing the Freeman diet this offseason!

I commented on this pic. Told him he looked like a linebacker. He responded "I can play Mike!"

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools