Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Pocket Passer Is An Endangered Species « previous next »
Page: 1 2

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#15 : January 17, 2013, 09:30:47 PM

Everything goes in cycles.

Everything?   So the fact that almost all cornerbacks and almost all running backs are black is just a cycle and in a couple of years they will be mostly chinese guys?   

Interesting.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 17, 2013, 10:22:25 PM

Everything goes in cycles.

Everything?   So the fact that almost all cornerbacks and almost all running backs are black is just a cycle and in a couple of years they will be mostly chinese guys?   

Interesting.

Do you have to insert race into EVERYTHING ?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 17, 2013, 10:40:01 PM

I know Russell Wilson ran for a lot of yards, but that guy looks like one of a kind and I'll predict he'll continue to become more and more of a pocket passer as the years go on. RG3 on the other hand, showed us why running QB's continually are unsuccessful.  Even if it's not injury. Somewhere along the line a running QB is going to take a big hit that makes them ineffective the rest of the game. It's going to happen to Kapernick either this week or in the Superbowl, wait and see.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 17, 2013, 10:45:07 PM

Just a note on Russell Wilson. Anyone else see how the Seahawks line him up so deep in Shotgun that his height really becomes a non-issue in seeing throwing a lanes? I've never seen anyone else line up 9 yards behind the line of scrimmarge for a shotgun snap, but it really worked for them. Will be interesting to see how well it works against teams with really good D-Lines going into next year, but it seems like a brilliant solution.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 17, 2013, 10:47:50 PM

I know Russell Wilson ran for a lot of yards, but that guy looks like one of a kind and I'll predict he'll continue to become more and more of a pocket passer as the years go on. RG3 on the other hand, showed us why running QB's continually are unsuccessful.  Even if it's not injury. Somewhere along the line a running QB is going to take a big hit that makes them ineffective the rest of the game. It's going to happen to Kapernick either this week or in the Superbowl, wait and see.

The rule changes have helped the running QB's.  Such as the sliding rule.  No helmet to helmet.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 17, 2013, 10:48:43 PM

Good points. You could be right.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 18, 2013, 09:03:58 AM

The rule changes have helped the running QB's.  Such as the sliding rule.  No helmet to helmet.

And apparently the "don't tackle him to hard" rule. We saw that with Barron and RGIII this year. An absolutely perfect form tackle. Wrap up, lift and drive. 15 yard penalty was called at a huge point in the game.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CanadianBuc

Starter
#22 : January 18, 2013, 01:55:20 PM

Thats not really true. Option QBs have success for 1 or 2 seasons then either get hurt or get figured out. The QBs that are succesful for their whole career are Pocket Passers.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#23 : January 18, 2013, 02:30:42 PM

Thats not really true. Option QBs have success for 1 or 2 seasons then either get hurt or get figured out. The QBs that are succesful for their whole career are Pocket Passers.

Really?

Name one.......and ensure that we are talking about someone who ran the option as a QB in college (like the way the service schools do).

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 18, 2013, 02:33:25 PM

Really?

Name one.......and ensure that we are talking about someone who ran the option as a QB in college (like the way the service schools do).

This is kind of knit picky. The spread is really the modern option, just the QB reads the DE as opposed to the OLB and has pass plays built in.

DailyRich68

Starter
#25 : January 18, 2013, 05:06:48 PM

They were saying this when Randall Cunningham came into the league.  And when Kordell Stewart was slashing it up.  And when Vick came in.  And Vince Young.  And they keep saying it, and they keep being wrong.

When one these "QBs of the future" wins a Super Bowl, then I'll take notice.  Until then, give me a guy who can work from the pocket, read defenses, and scramble if he has to.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 18, 2013, 06:46:03 PM

Geno Smith really isn't a running QB.

Agree, and if Freeman doesn't pan out,  maybe they can get in position to draft Johnny Football.  Although I suspect that might require a 0-16 record or close to it.  Consolation prize.....Clowney.

There's no way in hell we are bad enough to be in position to draft either of those players .  Even if Freeman shows no improvement next season , and the defense is just as bad, he's still good enough to win 6 to 8 games.

Your only hope would be Freeman going down and starting all 16 games with Orlovsky .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 18, 2013, 10:23:41 PM

They were saying this when Randall Cunningham came into the league.  And when Kordell Stewart was slashing it up.  And when Vick came in.  And Vince Young.  And they keep saying it, and they keep being wrong.

When one these "QBs of the future" wins a Super Bowl, then I'll take notice.  Until then, give me a guy who can work from the pocket, read defenses, and scramble if he has to.

Could happen in two weeks.  [Kap]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 18, 2013, 10:34:38 PM

I remember reading an article in sports illustrated that said Randall Cunningham had revolutionized the game and teams were only going to run the read option. That was 20 years ago.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 19, 2013, 03:00:11 AM

Geno Smith really isn't a running QB.

Agree, and if Freeman doesn't pan out,  maybe they can get in position to draft Johnny Football.  Although I suspect that might require a 0-16 record or close to it.  Consolation prize.....Clowney.

There's no way in hell we are bad enough to be in position to draft either of those players .  Even if Freeman shows no improvement next season , and the defense is just as bad, he's still good enough to win 6 to 8 games.

Your only hope would be Freeman going down and starting all 16 games with Orlovsky .

Well...just for the record , I am not hoping that happens.  Best case scenario, is Freeman lights it up in 2013, and never has a regression. Then they can move onto other things to improve the team.

But if Freeman fails big time, its back to the drawing board as far as a franchise QB goes.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Pocket Passer Is An Endangered Species « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools