Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback is no slam dunk for Bucs' first-round pick « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 17, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »

JANUARY 16, 2013

Latest indication that cornerback is no slam dunk for Bucs' first-round pick

For those Bucs fans who are pining for or expecting the team to select a cornerback in the first round of April’s NFL draft, this will be a bit sobering.

Those of you who have been paying attention to the draft won’t be surprised by this, but ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper’s first mock draft, published today, features just two cornerbacks in the first round.

That speaks volumes about the lack of first-round caliber talent at the position in this year’s class, although there are numerous options from the second round through the middle rounds.

Kiper projects Alabama standout Dee Milliner to be taken fourth overall by the Eagles. He’s pretty much a consensus top 10 pick and likely won’t be around when the Bucs select 13th overall. The other cornerback in Kiper’s first-round projections is Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes, penciled in as the No. 28 pick by the Broncos. He’s not seen by most as a candidate to be drafted as early as 13th, but the dearth of top-end talent at cornerback might impact where he ultimately is selected.

For the Bucs, Kiper has them picking Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, an athletic, playmaking linebacker who was suspended for the first four games of the 2012 season.

When he played, Ogletree was a force, making plays that showed his range and speed. Where Ogletree will play in the NFL is up for debate, but he’s able to play both inside and outside linebacker. The Bucs could conceivably use help at the position, given the uncertain health status of strong-side starter Quincy Black. And given the emphasis on competition, maybe the Bucs would be open to making middle linebacker Mason Foster earn his spot in 2013.

It’s all hypothetical for now, but it’s something to think about nonetheless. The overarching point here, however, is the selection of a cornerback in the first round (despite the Bucs 32nd-place finish in pass defense) is hardly a slam dunk.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 1:38:15 pm on January 16, 2013

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 17, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »

BPA

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 17, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »

A slam dunk would be nice, but it's not really needed. As long as the corner that is drafted can play average, they would be a slam dunk because it still would be an improvement.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 17, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »

BPA

Agree, and it would help if they snag a CB or two in free agency first, then that makes BPA a reality.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #4 : January 17, 2013, 12:46:55 AM »

although there isn't many top shutdown corners in the draft it is very deep, besides Milliner, I am high on Rhodes, Banks i'm not sold on yet, need to see the senior bowl practices and combine, both other than those three I am very high on Logan Ryan, very physical and is always around the ball. Jordan Poyer is another I am high on, a sleeper that keeps rising is WIll Davis from Ut St, they been saying he has been rising up to almost the second round lately

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 17, 2013, 12:50:39 AM »

They could get a nice O-Lineman in that spot.  Matthews would be a solid pick.

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #6 : January 17, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »

Dom has stated before he doesn't like to draft OL really high, he finds guys like Penn, Dotson who still isnt a finished product yet...We def need to get competition for Dotson, possibly later in the draft or FA, I think in round 1 we need to go CB if it's not a reach or DE and if we trade down than grab Eifert, I really want a future at tight end and if we don't sign Bennett in FA I want Eifert, Ertz or Kelce from Cincy

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 17, 2013, 01:54:13 AM »

Dom has stated before he doesn't like to draft OL really high, he finds guys like Penn, Dotson who still isnt a finished product yet...We def need to get competition for Dotson, possibly later in the draft or FA, I think in round 1 we need to go CB if it's not a reach or DE and if we trade down than grab Eifert, I really want a future at tight end and if we don't sign Bennett in FA I want Eifert, Ertz or Kelce from Cincy

I think any CB in round one,  at #13 will be a reach, other than Milliner.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #8 : January 17, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »

not if we trade down, should of said that

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 17, 2013, 02:06:46 AM »

not if we trade down, should of said that

Agree, if Milliner is gone, we may very well see that.  I like Rhodes a lot , but not at #13.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 17, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

A lot of things will change between now and April. What is considered a reach now, may not be considered a reach then. Since Kiper is quoted here, when looking at his 1.0 last year...there were 11 players that were first round picks that were not even on Kiper's initial list. Of the ones on the list, Dennard was a 7th rounder and Burfict went undrafted. Poe, Cox, and Brockers were projected in the mid-late 20's and all 3 went  between 11-14. Kuechly, Barron, and Floyd were all drafted at least 6 spots higher than originally projected.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 17, 2013, 02:18:04 AM »

A lot of things will change between now and April. What is considered a reach now, may not be considered a reach then. Since Kiper is quoted here, when looking at his 1.0 last year...there were 11 players that were first round picks that were not even on Kiper's initial list. Of the ones on the list, Dennard was a 7th rounder and Burfict went undrafted. Poe, Cox, and Brockers were projected in the mid-late 20's and all 3 went  between 11-14. Kuechly, Barron, and Floyd were all drafted at least 6 spots higher than originally projected.

I hear ya man, I view Kiper as entertainment value.  But  IMO,  I don't view Rhodes as good value at #13.  Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I think Dom could trade back a bit and score him later. Then  pick up a couple picks for the trade back.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 17, 2013, 02:35:57 AM »

I hear ya man, I view Kiper as entertainment value.  But  IMO,  I don't view Rhodes as good value at #13.  Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I think Dom could trade back a bit and score him later. Then  pick up a couple picks for the trade back.

Oh yea. He is definitely there for entertainment, and the draft has turned into a huge event. Hell, more people watch the 1st round of the draft than watch the World Series and NBA Finals combined(average ratings of entire series). People who watch the NFL eat, drink, and sleep it. Right now, fans of 28 teams are tuned into their teams potential moves, just as much as they are to the remaining games. Most of ESPN insider subscriptions are sold to those wanting to see the Scouts Inc./Kiper/McShay info as well as various NFL rumors and draft coverage. I also believe that if NFL GMs wrote down a mock draft in January and also updated it 3-4 times before April, that it probably wouldn't be much more accurate than Kiper's. Kiper is definitely not 100%, but neither are NFL GMs/draft teams.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

McCoy93

Starter

« #13 : January 17, 2013, 02:41:07 AM »

Chace i agree man. Its more exciting to watch the draft than the nba playoffs. The playoffs are an after thought in april after the draft

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 17, 2013, 02:41:45 AM »

Oh yea. He is definitely there for entertainment, and the draft has turned into a huge event. Hell, more people watch the 1st round of the draft than watch the World Series and NBA Finals combined(average ratings of entire series). People who watch the NFL eat, drink, and sleep it. Right now, fans of 28 teams are tuned into their teams potential moves, just as much as they are to the remaining games. Most of ESPN insider subscriptions are sold to those wanting to see the Scouts Inc./Kiper/McShay info as well as various NFL rumors and draft coverage. I also believe that if NFL GMs wrote down a mock draft in January and also updated it 3-4 times before April, that it probably wouldn't be much more accurate than Kiper's. Kiper is definitely not 100%, but neither are NFL GMs/draft teams.

A friend of mine is from Seattle and a big Seahawks fan.  After that heartbreaker Sunday, he said he is done with football until next training camp.   But not me, I still love the playoffs and the draft and free agency period.   Can't get enough.  We have had some really good games this year too, in the playoffs.   Hopefully the Super Bowl is not a snoozefest.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback is no slam dunk for Bucs' first-round pick « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools