Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Talib being treated as the second coming of Deion Sanders." « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#30 : January 18, 2013, 07:12:52 PM

So he get suspended and let the team down. Who cares?
We shouldn't hold it against him.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#31 : January 18, 2013, 09:01:46 PM

Judging SOLELY on the abillity to play the game---do you think the Bucs will draft a CB as good as Talib???

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 18, 2013, 09:20:19 PM

Should I take into account that while suspended his ability is zero, or are we trying to set all of the conditions in Talib's favor?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 18, 2013, 09:25:33 PM

**CENSORED**footing around the question because you know you're wrong

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 18, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

Actually, I was pointing out that the question is designed to stack the deck in Talib's favor, and I'm not stupid enough to fall for it. Here, let me show you how it works:

Judging SOLELY on leadership ability---do you think the Bucs will draft a QB as good as Tebow???

See? Stupid question heavily slanted to get a specific answer. Now you might have just fallen off the turnip truck but I sure as hell didn't.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 18, 2013, 10:06:23 PM

I have a feeling Torrey Smith is going to have a huge game this week. Talib is a good football player, but can get burned. And that's exactly what Torrey Smith does - burn CBs. It will be interesting to watch.

On talk radio today, they were talking about the Ravens abusing Champ Bailey who has a 50% completion rate against him.

The completion rate against Talib is something like 59%.  Could be a long day for him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#36 : January 18, 2013, 10:12:21 PM

Illum:  I wanted to know the opinion of the board based on playing ability alone.

To go into other issues is obvious, but I would like to know solely on playing ability.

Don't be so quick to "poke" at things, especially obvious things, it makes you look small.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 18, 2013, 10:32:35 PM

It does seem a bit odd to eliminate parts of a player.  Where does it stop - the conduct off the field, conduct on the field, mental errors.  I read the varying thoughts about what was being sought - physically Talib is a stud.  Mentally he floats off and on.  On the field his mouth and temper cost huge plays.  With his teammates he can be a danger, and off the field who knows what the next transgression will bring.  I know what you're looking for Island, but it is obvious that so much else arrives with this player that the parameters do seem contrived to elicit one and only one outcome.  When looking at the larger picture the exact opposite outcome seems likely. 

Just my .02.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#38 : January 18, 2013, 10:42:26 PM

DBUC:  You are correct that a player cannot be judge solely on his playing ability.  I would consider lack of focus on the field to be part of the overall playing ability.
Talib was a corner who gambled sometimes.  At times it resulted in an interception, at times a long completed pass against him.  That was part of the Talib on-field package. 

What I am trying to stay away from is the well-known collateral issues.  Judging Talib solely on his work on the field, do you think the Bucs can draft an equal player?.

I have a player in mind who I think qualifies.  I am curious what others may think.  This is not some sort of "trick" question based on an ulterior motive.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 18, 2013, 10:53:30 PM

I saw where the off the field issues were being removed, but did that remove swinging a helmet and hitting a teammate, losing his temper and taking silly penalties... his being part of the team quitting last year... the segregation of who he is vs how he plays is pretty hard, almost as hard as picking a college player that will do fairly well at CB. ;)  And by the way - that is what I saw in Talib - a CB who played fairly well, which of course is not someone you want at CB imvho.

Yes, I do think there are several CBs in this draft class that will provide better service to the teams that are lucky enough to get them.  Talib had better physical skills than any of them when he came out, but not much else. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 19, 2013, 10:57:30 AM

On a team with a good pass rush where he can cheat up on coverage because he only has to cover a short time, any CB will look good, but Talib will look like a world beater. Without a pass rush where he has to play "honestly" and with longer range, Talib will get used and abused, looking well below average. He is an aggressive small area player. Is that more what you're looking for?

If you have a role for him that fits his limited abilities, he can be a nice finishing piece. Short of that, he's not worth the hassle once you start considering all the other aspects involved. Not to mention the fact that my smartphone has been hinting for some time that he's a member of the Taliban.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#41 : January 19, 2013, 04:07:22 PM

Illum: Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. 

You see Talib as good in a small window of time that can be created by a good pass-rush, but in a larger window of time his approach is not as effective.

I had never considered judging corner backs from this angle, and there is definite merit in including this approach in the overall evaluating of CB's

Your view goes a long way in explaining how Talib can look so good in some games and just average in others.

The offensive line of Balt seems solid, so I would expect larger windows of coverage will ensue vs NE.  It will be interesting to see how Talib fares.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 19, 2013, 04:25:50 PM

The Bucs didn't have much of a pass rush in 2010 and he was playing very similar to his recent performances.

I think he's just a guy who is inconsistent in general.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 19, 2013, 06:33:25 PM

If there is such a thing as Karma the Ravens will have 600 yards passing and win tomorrow.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 19, 2013, 07:30:29 PM

And you don't see all of that as progressive??

Each one was worse than the last, with the exception of adderall.

His next trick will be to go to Elm street and harass teenage kids in their dreams.

This is actually really funny.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Talib being treated as the second coming of Deion Sanders." « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools