Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL's pist everyone hired white coaches. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

: January 18, 2013, 10:55:56 PM

Eight teams hired new coaches and seven more filled general manager positions with the New York Jets completing their search by hiring John Idzik. None of those jobs went to a minority.

Now the league is considering revisions to the "Rooney Rule," which mandates that teams must interview at least one minority candidate for front-office and head coaching jobs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8858003/nfl-looking-adjust-rooney-rule-ensure-diversity

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 18, 2013, 11:04:28 PM

Merit > Skin Color

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 18, 2013, 11:07:55 PM

I have a feeling Horton, Shaw, and Sumlin will all be NFL coaches in the next few years.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 18, 2013, 11:08:19 PM

At least we brought Randy Melvin back from the abyss; guess that doesn't count ;). That whole Rooney rule thing is rather feeble, TBH.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 18, 2013, 11:30:18 PM

The Rooney rule doesn't need revisions. It needs to be eliminated. If a team wants to hire a white guy, all they need to do us bring Jerry Gray in for a visit and them boom - hire whitey. It is what it is. Was there really any vacancies where a minority was clearly the better choice but the position was given to the white guy? I can't think of one.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#5 : January 18, 2013, 11:31:18 PM

Merit > Skin Color
Just to play devil's advocate, I would think that Lovie Smith has more merit than most since he's actually taken a team to the Superbowl.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 18, 2013, 11:33:01 PM

Some years there just aren't a lot of guys worth interviewing.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 18, 2013, 11:33:55 PM

Production is worth more than any silly skin color.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#8 : January 19, 2013, 12:11:54 AM

I have difficulty believing that any NFL team doesn't have winning as their sole objective.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 19, 2013, 12:57:30 AM

I have difficulty believing that any NFL team doesn't have winning as their sole objective.

Exactly. These owners would perform satanic rituals in public for a super bowl win.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 19, 2013, 01:43:14 AM

Even when raheem was hired, it wasn't because he was black. The guy had a good interview with the glazers, and it was thought at the time that having a player's coach was what the bucs needed. No where in there do I see a guy being hired because of his skin color. More than likely it was because he was a cheaper option.

This notion that the NFL is racist, is false. They would go so far as to field whole teams with nothing but black players to win games ...waitaminute.....

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 19, 2013, 02:52:23 AM

Merit > Skin Color
Just to play devil's advocate, I would think that Lovie Smith has more merit than most since he's actually taken a team to the Superbowl.

Lovie probably could of landed a gig, but he let it be known he wanted to sit out one year, and collect that cash from the Bears for the one year left of his contract.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 19, 2013, 03:30:41 AM

Lovie Smith had an awful record against winning teams, I'm sure that turned a lot of teams off. He also didn't want a DC job or he could've landed one.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 19, 2013, 05:42:56 AM

Merit > Skin Color
He's also missed the playoff entirely during 5 of the past 6 seasons while having a god awful offense in what has turned into an offensive league during that time.
It's very easy to see why he hasn't been given another shot.

People talk about guys like Horton and how great he is and how he desreved a shot.
Based on what?
He was an average at best DC, ranked 17th for points both years in the position, there is all this hype about him and he's not really done anything.
What about a guy like Mike Zimmer whos unit has ranked 10 in both points and yards in 3 of the past 4 years?
Horton didn't get a head coaching job because he's black, it's because in reality he's not that good and others were in better positions.

You throw in things like the trend of looking to college where there are very few minority coaches and that will drop the numbers down in the pros.
I love the way Dungy/the media/NFL put this out...
"I can't argue with any of the guys who got head coaching positions but why aren't any black"
So somebody should have not hired a guy you have no problem admitting is a good hire  just so they can go hire a guy based on colour of skin.
That doesn't sound like a racist idea at all.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : January 19, 2013, 05:56:12 AM

Even when raheem was hired, it wasn't because he was black. The guy had a good interview with the glazers, .

Wrong.   Raheem didn't even interview for the position.   He was just given it.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL's pist everyone hired white coaches. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools