Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Talib's performance change the way we feel about the trade, « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 19, 2013, 01:22:50 AM »

JANUARY 18, 2013

Revisiting the Aqib Talib trade

There are many reasons the Patriots are in the AFC Championship Game again.

You can start with the fact that they have one of the greatest coaches and quarterbacks in NFL history.

But neither Bill Belichick nor Tom Brady, despite their greatness, can play cornerback. And no one on the Patriots’ roster can do that as well as Aqib Talib.

Yeah, him. You probably thought you’d heard the last of Talib when he was traded earlier this season by the Bucs to New England. But his obvious impact on the Patriots secondary is worth revisiting with the team now one win from another Super Bowl appearance.

And it’s not too strong to say they might not be here if not for Talib’s contributions.

But here’s a question: Should his performance change the way we feel about the trade, one that netted the Bucs New England’s fourth-round pick this year?

Here’s what can’t be argued: Getting a fourth-round pick for a soon-to-be free agent who a team did not plan to re-sign is good value in and of itself. That’s something just about everyone can agree on.

But given the way the Bucs’ season started to crumble, in part, because of the play in their secondary, and considering the payoff for New England, maybe the Patriots didn’t get such a raw deal after all. The Patriots’ pass defense has been markedly better since acquiring Talib in November, while the Bucs proved incapable of effectively defending the pass week in and week out.

I’ve agreed all along the trade made good business sense and maybe even sent a message to teammates that troublemakers won’t have a place on Tampa Bay’s roster. Those things are important. But let’s be honest: It was a major sacrifice, and Talib’s play of late only reinforces how much the Bucs gave up in the deal. He’ll probably draw the assignment to cover Ravens speedster Torrey Smith on Sunday, one of the game’s most important matchups.

And here’s something we rarely consider in these conversations: The real value in this deal will be determined by what the Bucs get with that fourth-round pick they acquired. They might use it for ammunition in a key draft-night trade. Maybe they hang on to it and select a player who helps them win in 2013 and beyond. Or. . . they could botch the pick, too.

Time has a way of giving us greater perspective, and that’s certainly true here. The Bucs shouldn’t regret making the Talib trade. But the more time passes and the better Talib plays, the more reason we have to reassess the deal.

I mean, do the Patriots sound like they got fleeced?

“He is a special player. Ever since we got him, he has been making plays for us,” defensive tackle Vince Wilfork told the Boston Globe. “He made this defense better and we are happy to have him. Anytime you can basically say, ‘Hey, you got this guy and we’re going to cover everybody else,’ that’s a good sign.”

What do you think? .

Posted by Stephen Holder at 11:19:33 am on January 18, 2013

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 19, 2013, 02:35:21 AM »

Lets see if they pay him after the season, and if they do,  for how long and how much.  That will be interesting.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 19, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

The Patriots are not known for handing out fat contracts to CB's.

Psych

Starter

« #3 : January 19, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »

Nope. Glad he is gone. He wasnt playing for us.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 19, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »

He will get paid, THEN start acting like a fool again.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
« #5 : January 19, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »

Lets see if they pay him after the season, and if they do,  for how long and how much.  That will be interesting.

^
If he is playing that great then we will see when he is a FA. If the Bucs thought he turned himself around and was playing so well then they could always try to re-sign him as a FA and they still got the Pats 4th rounder.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 19, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

There's just as much opportunity to get in trouble in New England as there is in Tampa.  Just give the boy some time and some dough and a few buddies.....

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 19, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »

Don't feel bad because we've seen his game. It isn't good enough. It might be good enough if you have Brady scoring points but his cover you / not cover you bit wasn't making it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 19, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »

The Patriots are not known for handing out fat contracts to CB's.

It will be up to Talib, if he is looking at large jack, forget it. I think they offer a average contract for a CB. They will try to sell him on going to the playoffs every year.  So it will be up to him, playoffs every  season, or cash in on free agency.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 19, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

New England needs to watch the film of him vs Hakeem Nicks. Anyone who watched that game and thinks this trade wasn't worth it is a fool.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 19, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Dominik brought him back for a $14 million a year guaranteed 10 year contract then he didn't play again but collected that cash.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 19, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Dominik brought him back for a $14 million a year guaranteed 10 year contract then he didn't play again but collected that cash.

Nah that sounds like a contract he'd give to EJ Biggers.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 19, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »

NFL contracts are never guaranteed.   Signing bonus is the thing guaranteed.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 19, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »

I've seen Talib in a few NE games.  IMO, he looks like the same player.  He will get burned for a deep TD and then make a great play.

Not much has changed in that regard.  My feelings about the trade are still the same.  It was risky to sign Talib to a big, long-term contract.

You have to judge situations like that in the "here and now."  Talib did not deserve a long term contract from Tampa Bay.  The team did the right thing by not re-signing him.

Hopefully, the Bucs use the extra pick gained to grab a solid player to add to the roster.

Turn the page.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 19, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »

Nobody was gonna trade more than a 4th for him. A lot of people were saying we might as well cut him. I'm happy we were able to get something for him.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Talib's performance change the way we feel about the trade, « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools