Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs looking to Vincent Jackson to recruit free agents. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 19, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

Receiver Vincent Jackson can soften Bucs coach Greg Schiano's reputation

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Sunday, January 20, 2013

TAMPA

You have to wonder if all the stories about coach Greg Schiano including the "toes on the line" rant by TE Kellen Winslow, the kneel-down defense debate and his exhaustive training camp will affect the decision of any free agents when they weigh signing with the Bucs.

Players tend to go where they believe the money not the grass is greener.

But if there is one shining example for the Bucs to hold up to other players, it is WR Vincent Jackson.

The former Charger signed a five-year, $55.5 million contract in March and lived up to the enormous expectations that come with so many zeros. Jackson caught 72 passes for 1,384 yards and eight touchdowns. His 19.2 yards-per-catch average topped the league. He took the heat off WR Mike Williams, who rebounded from a sophomore slump with 996 yards receiving and nine touchdowns.

Last week Jackson was added to the NFC Pro Bowl roster, replacing injured Lion Calvin Johnson.

What would Jackson tell a free agent about playing under the Bucs' ubercontrolling coach?

"I couldn't be more impressed with Schiano and his staff, the way they were able to come in here in one year, coming from the collegiate level to dealing with professionals," Jackson said. "I know (Schiano) has some background in the NFL. But as a head coach, to take the reins the way he did, get his message across, get guys to buy in the way he did under totally different circumstances from years prior, he did an excellent job with that. He's a lot of fun to play for. He's a competitive guy, and he's going to make sure you're as well prepared as you can possibly be.

"I would tell (free agents) it's a top-notch organization; it's a top-notch structure. We have a great coaching staff here. They've built a system and a feeling of family and continuity, not only with the team itself, but I think they've done a great job in the community as well."

Making the new-players task easier for Schiano is he has a locker room full of players who know the way he wants things done and have bought in.

They will set the tone for the new players.

"His way of doing things was, to us, unorthodox," DT Gerald McCoy said. "And with any new thing, change is not going to be easy. It's going to be hard, and there are going to be growing pains. You make adjustments in the offseason, and you tweak things."

Heading west: Jackson might be among three Bucs headed to Hawaii. McCoy was an original choice. And if the 49ers win today's NFC title game, rookie RB Doug Martin would replace Frank Gore.

"Am I pleased with it? Absolutely," Jackson said of his Pro Bowl chance. "It was a great year for me, personally. But obviously, I would definitely take some postseason action and some more wins instead of the postseason accolades."

BARBER WATCH: The Bucs have 10 unrestricted free agents to deal with this offseason, a list that begins with S Ronde Barber.

It likely will be a few more weeks before Barber and the Bucs meet to determine if he will be back for a 17th season. But Redskins defensive backs coach and former Bucs coach Raheem Morris, who remains a close friend of Barber's, believes Barber, 37, should return. "I told him he should play until the wheels fall off," Morris said. "And from what I've seen on tape from last year, he played really well."

Among the other free agents the Bucs must decide whether to attempt to re-sign are DE Michael Bennett, TE Dallas Clark, NT Roy Miller and CB E.J. Biggers.

USF HOPEFULS: Among the former Bucs submitting resumes to become part of Willie Taggart's coaching staff at USF were WR Michael Clayton and S Dexter Jackson, the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVII. Neither was hired.

Rick Stroud can be reached at stroud@tampabay.com and heard from 6 to 9 a.m. weekdays on WDAE-620. Follow him on Twitter at @NFLStroud.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 19, 2013, 11:53:41 PM

You have to wonder if all the stories about coach Greg Schiano including the "toes on the line" rant by TE Kellen Winslow....

Anyone who is taking advice from a guy like Winslow is not a guy that this team should be focusing on.

How did K2's season go this past year?    Yeah, nevermind!

Turn the page.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 20, 2013, 12:43:12 AM

Mike Clayton trying to coach?

Who?  The offensive line?  Because that dude had some sorry hands, and all he could do was block. And wear ugly fur coats.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 20, 2013, 01:23:57 AM

Mike Clayton trying to coach?

Who?  The offensive line?  Because that dude had some sorry hands, and all he could do was block. And wear ugly fur coats.

LOL

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 20, 2013, 02:28:39 AM

Truth be told, it's a shame Dex didn't get the USF job.

Also, can't we replace Miller with Henry Melton, or possibly move Clayborn and bring in Osi? Miller is just not that good, and personally, I think he slows down the entire front line.

Sure, he might be one of the reasons that the run defense was good, but that was mostly playcalling against the run (schiano was calling run d all the time). It also has me wondering if he is part of the reason there is lack of sacks. For someone who is supposed to be pretty strong, he sure doesn't push anyone off the ball and he damn sure doesn't get to the QB. Average at best, and we could do better with a draft pick or a free agent imvho.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

2002Champs2055

Rookie

#5 : January 20, 2013, 04:01:45 AM

Jackson's a class-act

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 20, 2013, 06:22:27 AM

Jackson's a class-act

He posted career highs in receptions and yardage in his first year in the system. Imagine what he will do now that he knows it. With Nicks and Joseph back healthy, Doug Martin should improve on his record setting numbers as well.. Add in a little pass defense, and the Bucs should be good to go. I can't wait to see who they add to the mix in the coming months.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#7 : January 20, 2013, 09:56:50 AM

I can't wait to see who they add to the mix in the coming months.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 20, 2013, 11:23:35 AM

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 20, 2013, 12:45:44 PM

Love V-Jax. Someone's gotta have this attitude and leadership...cause it certainly isn't coming from the other offensive player with the C on the right side of his chest.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 20, 2013, 01:10:40 PM

Hahaha lmao

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 20, 2013, 03:56:17 PM

..Is it just me, or does Timmy look like a crack-baby?

I guess when your mom is stabbing at you with coathangers, you learn to run, juke, and dive.

There was nothing in there to throw back at her, so obviously his throwing motion would be way off, but running potential way up.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 20, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

Also, can't we replace Miller with Henry Melton, or possibly move Clayborn and bring in Osi? Miller is just not that good, and personally, I think he slows down the entire front line.

Sure, he might be one of the reasons that the run defense was good, but that was mostly playcalling against the run (schiano was calling run d all the time). It also has me wondering if he is part of the reason there is lack of sacks. For someone who is supposed to be pretty strong, he sure doesn't push anyone off the ball and he damn sure doesn't get to the QB. Average at best, and we could do better with a draft pick or a free agent imvho.

Melton is an under tackle, not a nose tackle plus the Bears will not let him become a Free agent.

There are quite a few free agent nose tackles though, that would be an upgrade over Miller.

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#13 : January 20, 2013, 08:07:16 PM

I agree completely..And I am sure I will catch flack for this but Clayborn is not that good people and we need a Dominant UT.   For all I care if Miller,Clayborn and Bennett go we will be much better..

A Dominant UT and a super super Fast DE will give us rush again..I'm for sure Shiano is going to up grade this d-line..  ( I hope)

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 20, 2013, 10:07:26 PM

I agree completely..And I am sure I will catch flack for this but Clayborn is not that good people and we need a Dominant UT.   For all I care if Miller,Clayborn and Bennett go we will be much better..

A Dominant UT and a super super Fast DE will give us rush again..I'm for sure Shiano is going to up grade this d-line..  ( I hope)

Just having Bowers back 100% healthy will be an upgrade.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs looking to Vincent Jackson to recruit free agents. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools