Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we a couple of players away.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 21, 2013, 08:38:32 PM

Dynamic pass rusher and a couple of DBs. We had the lead in the 4th qtr in 10 games (6-4), were tied in another one (1-0) and lost a game where the offense had 500+ yards and 0 turnovers.
This

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 21, 2013, 09:12:42 PM

I think we are more than a couple players away...maybe more like a handful. I think we are 2 CBs, 1 DE, and a TE away from being a very good playoff team. Biggers and Leonard are ok as the #3 and #4 CB but neither should be starting. We need to sign on of the top free agent CBs and then draft one in round 1 or 2. We also need to improve our pass rush...even if Bennett comes back. I'd like to see us sign a free agent DE and possibly draft a DE in round 1 or 2. If we bring Bennett back than we don't need to sign someone and draft someone. I'd prefer to sign a free agent like Freeney or Avril from Detroit as those are very good players and you know what you are going to get. As for TE...maybe we could bring in Bennett's brother or worst case draft a TE in round 2.

If we come away from free agency with a CB and a DE and then draft another CB and a TE...I will be a happy guy. If we end up signing a TE like Bennett...I will be equally as happy. Bottom line...we need 2 CBs, at least 1 DE, and a TE. We get those and this team will immediately be a playoff team. There are still big questions about Josh, but just like we saw with the 49ers and Ravens...with a strong enough cast around him...I think Josh is good enough to get into the playoffs.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 21, 2013, 11:32:24 PM

Yep. A couple.

Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White and Mike Singletary.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 22, 2013, 07:12:04 AM

Yep. A couple.

Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White and Mike Singletary.

More like Deion Sanders and Darelle Reavis

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#34 : January 22, 2013, 09:00:32 AM

" No need to explain. "

It's just one of those things that is obvious?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 22, 2013, 09:08:48 AM

The problem with being "a couple players away" is that only works if you insert experienced vets onto the roster RIGHT NOW. In reality when you're a couple players away, it takes time to acquire and develop those players, and by the time that happens a couple more players who didn't used to be problems now are problems. If the team needs to overhaul the secondary and increase the pass rush, by the time that happens Donald Penn will probably be 400 lbs, another offensive linemen or two will be done, Vincent Jackson will be old and not getting any faster, Doug Martin could be run into the ground, and so on.
: January 22, 2013, 09:19:50 AM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 22, 2013, 09:17:53 AM

id say we are easily only a couple players away from being a playoff team.  we were in the playoff race for most of this year with the team we had, and i certainly expect some changeover.

at the very least with 1 above average CB and some tweaks to our pass defense schemes i think we certainly are a playoff team with a healthy season.  we need freeman to be effective and not disappear for stretches of time and we need to find a happy medium between rush defense and pass defense. 

i am assuming that our offense with freeman at the helm is not on a high school level, which might be a mistake on my part.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 22, 2013, 11:45:09 AM

I think we are more than a couple players away...maybe more like a handful. I think we are 2 CBs, 1 DE, and a TE away from being a very good playoff team. Biggers and Leonard are ok as the #3 and #4 CB but neither should be starting. We need to sign on of the top free agent CBs and then draft one in round 1 or 2. We also need to improve our pass rush...even if Bennett comes back. I'd like to see us sign a free agent DE and possibly draft a DE in round 1 or 2. If we bring Bennett back than we don't need to sign someone and draft someone. I'd prefer to sign a free agent like Freeney or Avril from Detroit as those are very good players and you know what you are going to get. As for TE...maybe we could bring in Bennett's brother or worst case draft a TE in round 2.

If we come away from free agency with a CB and a DE and then draft another CB and a TE...I will be a happy guy. If we end up signing a TE like Bennett...I will be equally as happy. Bottom line...we need 2 CBs, at least 1 DE, and a TE. We get those and this team will immediately be a playoff team. There are still big questions about Josh, but just like we saw with the 49ers and Ravens...with a strong enough cast around him...I think Josh is good enough to get into the playoffs.

I agree with most of this, With Bennett, Bowers, and Clayborn, I don't see a need at DE. We need an upgrade for Miller at DT. He plugs the middle very well. He just doesn't penetrate. I favor drafting a DT with the first pick. We'd be set for years to come. Free agency will dictate where we go in the draft, but the OL could use an impact C and RT. Our starters this year would be lucky to make the roster on most other teams. The OL coach did an amazing job making them respectable this season. I can't wait to see what he does with Nicks and Joseph in the lineup. Wishful thinking, but Mike Wallace would be a great addition to our receiving corps. We still lack a receiver that can't be caught from behind. It feels good to be excited about the offense for a change. I believe we will see even more new records set in 2013. We have the coach and QB to do it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 22, 2013, 12:10:31 PM

We need an upgrade for Miller at DT. He plugs the middle very well. He just doesn't penetrate. I favor drafting a DT with the first pick.

what are we asking our NT to do?  penetrate?  at what expense?  if we can get a NT that penetrates AND keeps gap sound against the run great.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 22, 2013, 12:25:45 PM

We need an upgrade for Miller at DT. He plugs the middle very well. He just doesn't penetrate. I favor drafting a DT with the first pick.

what are we asking our NT to do?  penetrate?  at what expense?  if we can get a NT that penetrates AND keeps gap sound against the run great.

Maybe pressure is a better word. The thing is, the OL can't double team everybody. Miller is good. I'm looking for that upgrade to great with a side of unpredictable.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 22, 2013, 12:49:08 PM

Yea if we could get double teams off Gmac and had somebody else who could pass rush next to him, Gmac would get more pressure and as would the DEs. And if we improved the CBs that would also lead to more pass rush. Bottom line is pass rush and pass d needs to improve if the defense is gonna improve its horrific pass D #s.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : January 22, 2013, 02:22:44 PM

Yea if we could get double teams off Gmac and had somebody else who could pass rush next to him, Gmac would get more pressure and as would the DEs.

in theory it sounds great, i agree.  but what teams use 2 pressuring, penetrating DT's? 

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 22, 2013, 02:33:22 PM

Mallett is Freeman. No thank you. All Ryan did in college was crap the bed when the pressure was on.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 22, 2013, 02:33:55 PM

If we're playing Madden.....yes.....in reality no.

: January 22, 2013, 02:53:51 PM BucfanNC12

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 22, 2013, 02:41:56 PM

And why is everyone harping over defensive end? Our 4th string DE going into next year had 4 sacks this year. Bennett was top 5 in pressures. Bowers and Clayborne will be healthy to start the year. Defensive end should be the least of our priorities.

Pass defense and sacks is a two-way street. When the QB drops back and immediately has a receiver come open, no time for the DLINE to get there. Re-sign Miller and Bennett, draft a linebacker who has some pass rush ability to blitz with and for the love of god, find corners who can keep a receiver from getting wide ass open.

I also hated our "line up in press, then don't press" coverage.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we a couple of players away.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools