Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we a couple of players away.... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#60 : January 23, 2013, 04:53:53 PM

I trust the Bucs to address the pass rush. I personally didn't see consistent pressure from our DEs. McCoy got lots of double teams. Granted Bowers is coming off an injury and didn't play at 100% till the end of the year and Clayborn got hurt. I am not 100% sold that any of our DEs are more than just good DEs. We don't have an elite DE. Bowers maybe could develop into that but the jury is still out.

A DT at the nose that is better than Miller might free up McCoy and thus make our DEs do better...especially with them coming back healthy next year. My biggest fear is sticking with the status quo at DE and them not loving up to the hype. That's why I want us to sign a DE or draft one. I think we can live with McCoy and Miller in the middle but getting a good DE will have a greater impact. Then again...I am not sure there's an elite DE in free agency or the draft.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#61 : January 23, 2013, 04:59:08 PM

I trust the Bucs to address the pass rush. I personally didn't see consistent pressure from our DEs. McCoy got lots of double teams. Granted Bowers is coming off an injury and didn't play at 100% till the end of the year and Clayborn got hurt. I am not 100% sold that any of our DEs are more than just good DEs. We don't have an elite DE. Bowers maybe could develop into that but the jury is still out.

A DT at the nose that is better than Miller might free up McCoy and thus make our DEs do better...especially with them coming back healthy next year. My biggest fear is sticking with the status quo at DE and them not loving up to the hype. That's why I want us to sign a DE or draft one. I think we can live with McCoy and Miller in the middle but getting a good DE will have a greater impact. Then again...I am not sure there's an elite DE in free agency or the draft.

Too many times last season, we let QBs step up in the pocket and buy 1-2 more seconds and find the open receiver.  I think if we re-sign Bennett, we are good at DE.  I think we need another DT that can rush the passer.  Pressure up the middle makes QBs the most uncomfortable and this also allows our DE's to get to their mark and make the sack or strip/fumble.  I think a player like Richardson or Short from Purdue should definitely be in play for the Bucs in the draft.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#62 : January 23, 2013, 05:21:12 PM

I have said myself that Clayborn might not be what we need at RE because he is not a quick twitch speed rusher, however....as a rookie he had 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. He wasn't  consistently dominant, but he was a force at times and could end up being quite good.

Bowers hasn't had much playing time, but even coming off injury he looked really good in the final 6 games this years.

Bennett is underrated by Buc fans. This guy was an undrafted cat with some pass rush potential. He has worked really hard and put in the time and effort. He is now above average verse the run and his pass rush is getting better and more consistent every year.

Could we be disappointed and looking for a new DE in a year or two? Sure. But right now we have a bunch of promising young talent there. They need time to sink or swim. The only reason to think about using a top pick on a DE is if somehow a freak like "zee German" fell to us, but that ain't happening.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#63 : January 23, 2013, 05:29:00 PM

The pass rush was not good, but we also were without clayborn.

Tampa also had a new system that placed corners on an island with top wr's, when they obviously didn't have the talent to compete with them. The corners, for whatever reason were playing very far from the LOS, which automatically allows for quick tosses to unjammed wr's. Those quick tosses are hard for a DT-DE to do anything about, as they do not have time to get to the QB. Shoring up the back end of the defense will make the front look a whole lot better.

If we can start getting opposing QB's to look for even their third option, we have a chance. Right now, they are counting 1, 2, then passing. At that point it's not about the quickness of any DL we have, it's about limiting the QB, and making them come back to targets they wouldn't rather go to. With as many pressures that they have, it's not hard to believe one extra second is all that's needed to have two players with over 8 or more sacks.

I believe in this DL good enough, that I can honestly say miller is the only weak link. Replace him with someone who can get to the passer, replace the lowly corners with real talent, and i believe we would have a pretty good defense to help this possibly dynamic offense.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#64 : January 23, 2013, 05:29:20 PM

What status quo? We lost Clayborn early on and we didn't get Bowers back effectively 'til late in the year. DE was constantly changing. Now we know we have decent backups, but the jury is still out on who should start. We have enough for a great rotation with Bennett and Teo. If Bennett leaves, replace him with a veteran FA rather than add to the inexperience through the draft.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#65 : January 24, 2013, 05:04:15 PM

That word just really stuck out for me.  IMO, this team won't be ready until a few of the "maybe" tags are removed.
While I understand that many players on this team are young, there are currently too many players that have a "maybe" tag.
The team is very short on superstar talent.
There's some nice young talent that MAYBE will develop.
Dang, there goes that word again!
 :)

Turn the page.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#66 : January 24, 2013, 05:20:25 PM

The pass rush was not good, but we also were without clayborn.

Tampa also had a new system that placed corners on an island with top wr's, when they obviously didn't have the talent to compete with them. The corners, for whatever reason were playing very far from the LOS, which automatically allows for quick tosses to unjammed wr's. Those quick tosses are hard for a DT-DE to do anything about, as they do not have time to get to the QB. Shoring up the back end of the defense will make the front look a whole lot better.

If we can start getting opposing QB's to look for even their third option, we have a chance. Right now, they are counting 1, 2, then passing. At that point it's not about the quickness of any DL we have, it's about limiting the QB, and making them come back to targets they wouldn't rather go to. With as many pressures that they have, it's not hard to believe one extra second is all that's needed to have two players with over 8 or more sacks.

I believe in this DL good enough, that I can honestly say miller is the only weak link. Replace him with someone who can get to the passer, replace the lowly corners with real talent, and i believe we would have a pretty good defense to help this possibly dynamic offense.

Excellent post.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#67 : January 24, 2013, 05:34:16 PM

The coaches stated that Miller improved this year with the new system as a RUN STUFFER, which was good, however, he wat not one to get to the QB, hence, McCoy was constattly doubled teamed. I actually would let Miller walk and draft someone that is good, not great at eating up space, that is also good not great as a pass rusher. This will get rid of McCoyś double teams and allow Gerald to be a beast. I would also let Bennet walk for his price and production and draft a pass rushing stud to team with Bowers on the left. Claybourn and Teo on the right. McCoy does need a backup as he sure took too many snaps this season and got NO rest.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#68 : January 24, 2013, 06:12:13 PM

Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern is a late round prospect that I like a lot, but I agree that we should allow Miller to walk and sign an upgrade. We still have Gibson, and he played every bit as good as Miller.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#69 : January 24, 2013, 06:31:03 PM

Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern is a late round prospect that I like a lot, but I agree that we should allow Miller to walk and sign an upgrade. We still have Gibson, and he played every bit as good as Miller.

Looks like he is no longer considered a late round pick

After shining during Senior Bowl week, Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams is reportedly being discussed as a potential second-round pick.
Ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah cited Williams' "surprisingly nimble footwork" as a selling point for the massive, 6-foot-2, 341-pound small-school prospect. It's always a big plus when big fellas can move well at their maximum weight. Williams' college coach obviously has a horse in the race, but he's publicly compared the defensive tackle to Seahawks Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy.

He looked very impressive in the Senior Bowl Practices

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#70 : January 24, 2013, 06:54:09 PM

We are not drafting a NT early in this draft , you crackheads . Those who keep suggesting it might as well get over that pipe dream right now.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : January 24, 2013, 07:01:36 PM

Looks like he is no longer considered a late round pick

After shining during Senior Bowl week, Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams is reportedly being discussed as a potential second-round pick.
Ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah cited Williams' "surprisingly nimble footwork" as a selling point for the massive, 6-foot-2, 341-pound small-school prospect. It's always a big plus when big fellas can move well at their maximum weight. Williams' college coach obviously has a horse in the race, but he's publicly compared the defensive tackle to Seahawks Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy.

He looked very impressive in the Senior Bowl Practices

Wow. Last I looked he wasn't even on most sites list of prospects!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#72 : January 24, 2013, 07:08:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGSMeSZXQdM

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#73 : January 24, 2013, 07:28:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFQSk-Bsqg

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we a couple of players away.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools