Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 54.8% « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
: January 21, 2013, 06:01:55 PM

Alright, I've read a lot if posts about Freeman on this board. With the way Freeman played down the stretch he deserves all the criticism he's been getting. I am not a Freeman apologist, whatsoever. But I'm also not a Freeman hater.

Looking at the stats for the last three years something jumps out at me. That is his completion percentage.

2010: 61.4%
2011: 62.8%
2012: 54.8%

Why the huge dip in completion percentage? I got to thinking back to the old LOLsen offense and all the dinking and dunking that went on. Freeman rarely was asked to throw the ball beyond 10 yards up the field.

Freeman isn't the most accurate QB in the league to begin with but I have to think that the more he practices his deep ball the better he will become. In my mind, something as simple as improving accuracy is the difference between 7-9 and 12-4. If Freeman can complete 61-63% of his passes in THIS offense it means he has more 300 yard games and we score on more explosive plays,

This offseason is the most important in his career and a new contract lies in the balance. It's all on him and only him to improve. No excuses (lockout, new offense, etc.) ...Hopefully schiano wanted Mcnulty for a reason and that happens.

Weve seen clutch games. We have also seen boneheaded interceptions.
Is it as simple as accuracy in your mind?

If not, what more would you like to see improve this year?
: January 21, 2013, 06:09:53 PM tbc_bucs

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 21, 2013, 06:08:52 PM

Freeman was horrible intermediate passer this year were typically the best passers shine.

His numbers sit at 47% on those type throws, 6 td's and 8 int's.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 21, 2013, 06:16:19 PM

Freeman was horrible intermediate passer this year were typically the best passers shine.

Great point. What do you think improves that if its not repetition. Many qbs have had horrible years and turned it around.
Can free turn it around? I just don't think he's ever been asked to make nfl throws before this season, too much coddling went on.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 21, 2013, 06:18:47 PM

Checkdowns. Safety valves. Dump offs. He is not a good QB. His passing ability is what it is.

He is too nervous and geeked up to be effective at throwing with strong accuracy.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 21, 2013, 06:24:55 PM

Great point. What do you think improves that if its not repetition. Many qbs have had horrible years and turned it around.
Can free turn it around? I just don't think he's ever been asked to make nfl throws before this season, too much coddling went on.
The protection will be better. He will get better, how much I just don't know. With Nicks and Joseph coming back next year he won't have to deal with pressure in his face as much, if at all.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 21, 2013, 06:41:39 PM

The protection will be better. He will get better, how much I just don't know. With Nicks and Joseph coming back next year he won't have to deal with pressure in his face as much, if at all.

Protection isnt the biggest issue though. I dont have the stats in front of me but he was actually protected quite well considering the injuries to the OL.

Some of his passes that were done under no pressure just make you scratch your head.

His completion percentage should have been worse. Vjax bailed him out several times since he seems to catch anything thrown in his zip code.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 21, 2013, 06:48:07 PM

The reason for this dip in completion percentage is the offensive scheme that this team uses now. It relies on a lot of option routes and sight adjustments by receivers. If the QB and receiver both make the correct read, the offense can be unstoppable because the proper route and throw would be made to combat any coverage.

Needless to say, it is difficult for both the QB and the receiver to always be on the same page and this takes an unbelievable amount of practice and time together. I believe we will probably see his completion percentage go up a good amount as he continues to develop familiarity with his receivers within this new scheme.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 21, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Nobody would be asking freeman to do a lot if the defense played better.

Freeman, or anyone for that matter, would have a troublesome time winning with a defense like this.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 21, 2013, 07:20:15 PM

The reason for this dip in completion percentage is the offensive scheme that this team uses now. It relies on a lot of option routes and sight adjustments by receivers. If the QB and receiver both make the correct read, the offense can be unstoppable because the proper route and throw would be made to combat any coverage.

Needless to say, it is difficult for both the QB and the receiver to always be on the same page and this takes an unbelievable amount of practice and time together. I believe we will probably see his completion percentage go up a good amount as he continues to develop familiarity with his receivers within this new scheme.

Good post.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 21, 2013, 07:21:00 PM

Maybe there is a reason why Olsen put a lot of dink and dunks in his playbook?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 21, 2013, 08:02:48 PM

Checkdowns. Safety valves. Dump offs. He is not a good QB. His passing ability is what it is.

He is too nervous and geeked up to be effective at throwing with strong accuracy.

Couldńt agree with you more about being nervous, Boid. Like I said before, when he is scripted and  thinking and trying to be perfect, especially on the intermediate routes, heś poor. His  deep ball is pretty good but what getś everyone all excited is when we are down and Freeman stops thinking and startss winging it, playing Relaxed football. I  think itś mainly in his head. Give him a better slot receiver and a good TE and tell him to friggin relax and he might be a lot better.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : January 21, 2013, 08:39:34 PM

Intelligent Poster: Let's have a discussion about the factors influencing Freeman's completion percentage.

Sparky the Troll: It's the defense's fault!

It's just never ending with you, isn't it?
: January 21, 2013, 08:52:44 PM Illuminator

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : January 21, 2013, 08:41:04 PM

" What do you think improves that if its not repetition."

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 21, 2013, 09:18:31 PM

Couldńt agree with you more about being nervous, Boid. Like I said before, when he is scripted and  thinking and trying to be perfect, especially on the intermediate routes, heś poor. His  deep ball is pretty good but what getś everyone all excited is when we are down and Freeman stops thinking and startss winging it, playing Relaxed football. I  think itś mainly in his head. Give him a better slot receiver and a good TE and tell him to friggin relax and he might be a lot better.
I have said he sounds nervous at pressers before and got railed for it. I have said many times that he looks nervous DURiNG games. I think it certainly is a loss of confidence in the moment, and part inability. He has never been pegged as an accurate passer. But that loss of confidence is damning for us fans.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 21, 2013, 09:30:30 PM

This.

I agree with others though that he still definitely needs to improve his accuracy on intermediate routes.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 54.8% « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools