Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks or Xavier Rhodes? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 22, 2013, 12:31:00 AM

NFL Mock Draft 2013: Johnthan Banks or Xavier Rhodes?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 21, 8:19a

Mocking the Draft has its latest mock draft up, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are once again saddled with cornerback Johnthan Banks out of Mississippi State. It's a bit of a choice by default at this point: the Bucs have a massive need at cornerback, and Banks is generally seen as the second best cornerback in the draft.

Quick, name Tampa's two starting cornerbacks at the end of the season. If you said Leonard Johnson and E.J. Biggers, which is correct, you probably Googled it. The Buccaneers don't need a cornerback because Ronde Barber is old. He's primarily a free safety at this point.

Banks would be a big talent upgrade at cornerback. He has the skill to be a No. 1 corner with size and good anticipation ability. Banks and Johnson could make for a good duo for years to come.

Easy, right? Intriguingly, both Sheldon Richardson and Johnathan Hankins are still on the board in this mock draft, and disruptive defensive tackles are always valuable. Tight ends Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are always a legitimate option, too, but one player intrigues me a bit more: cornerback Xavier Rhodes. Mocking the Draft has him going 28th overall, and in their scouting report they compare him to Ladarius Webb

Conclusion: Xavier Rhodes should come off the board in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He's going to be best suited lining up in press-man coverage. He's got all of the physical tools to be a very effective cornerback in the NFL. If he can continue to stay healthy and improve his play recognition, Rhodes could end up being the best cornerback in this class. He has true shutdown potential.

Rhodes has been climbing in recent mock drafts, as journalists get a better sense of what pro scouts are looking for. I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue his rise and become the Bucs' first-round pick.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/21/3899268/nfl-mock-draft-2013-johnthan-banks-or-xavier-rhodes

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#1 : January 22, 2013, 12:36:29 AM

Rhodes.

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM

Rhodes

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 22, 2013, 12:52:24 AM

I'm still torn between drafting milliner or Banks.

People talk a lot about Xavier, but I just don't see it. Tampa needs raw talent in the corner position, not a "good tackler." That same thought pattern may have made Tampa waste their pick, picking up Barron.Besides the injury issue, he is the better corner for what the bucs need.

However, any of the top three cbs I would be happy with. As long as that's done, there is going to be improvement. The best alternative, at least by my standards, would be to skip CB altogether and draft BPA while signing two arguably fair quality FA CBs.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 22, 2013, 01:02:36 AM

People talk a lot about Xavier, but I just don't see it. Tampa needs raw talent in the corner position, not a "good tackler." That same thought pattern may have made Tampa waste their pick, picking up Barron.Besides the injury issue, he is the better corner for what the bucs need.

However, any of the top three cbs I would be happy with. As long as that's done, there is going to be improvement. The best alternative, at least by my standards, would be to skip CB altogether and draft BPA while signing two arguably fair quality FA CBs.

If New England had Xavier Rhodes, then both of those TD passes to him would have been knocked down or intercepted. Flacco wouldn't even throw it.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 22, 2013, 03:23:54 AM

Agree with that.  Maybe a Sean Smith or DRC or Tracy Porter.  At least you know what you are getting with those guys.  Then that would really free up the draft for other needs.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 22, 2013, 07:49:52 AM

Banks is the best athlete of the 3 but also still a physical player. He's who we should go with, IMO.

Although in my mock I have us usung the extra 4th rounder to trade back into the 1st and drafting Rhodes also.
: January 22, 2013, 07:56:24 AM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 22, 2013, 08:22:30 AM

If New England had Xavier Rhodes, then both of those TD passes to him would have been knocked down or intercepted. Flacco wouldn't even throw it.
I notice you got your Crystal Ball back from that vagrant gypsy that lived in BucsWTFs migrating tent city.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 22, 2013, 09:02:02 AM

I agree in part.  Think we should grab 2 decent corners in FA, and take BPA with #13.  I dont agree that Barron was a wasted pick, what we are asking of him is much more than he was used to at Bama...he will be better every year for the next few and be our new Lynch.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 22, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

I agree in part.  Think we should grab 2 decent corners in FA, and take BPA with #13.  I dont agree that Barron was a wasted pick, what we are asking of him is much more than he was used to at Bama...he will be better every year for the next few and be our new Lynch.

I don't think baron was a was wasted pick, only that he was chosen to be a physical tackling machine. Coverage was never his main thing, so we really need to gain more "coverage" guys out there, than guys who can tackle well at this point. If we bring in more guys like that, our run defense will be even stronger, but our pass defense will have the short end of the stick once again. That's what I'm worried about with Rhodes, and it's something that needs to be considered.

We don't need another guy than can tackle well, play nickle well, but on an island out long, can't keep up with people. Rhodes would be an improvement over anyone we have at corner, but we need a dynamic corner and someone who can turn turnovers into points. In a nutshell, that's Banks.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#10 : January 22, 2013, 10:32:31 AM

I don't think baron was a was wasted pick, only that he was chosen to be a physical tackling machine. Coverage was never his main thing, so we really need to gain more "coverage" guys out there, than guys who can tackle well at this point. If we bring in more guys like that, our run defense will be even stronger, but our pass defense will have the short end of the stick once again. That's what I'm worried about with Rhodes, and it's something that needs to be considered.

We don't need another guy than can tackle well, play nickle well, but on an island out long, can't keep up with people. Rhodes would be an improvement over anyone we have at corner, but we need a dynamic corner and someone who can turn turnovers into points. In a nutshell, that's Banks.
The problem is that Barron hasn't been a tackling machine.  He missed a lot of tackles.  That said, I don't know where you're getting the idea that Rhodes is just a "solid tackler".

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 22, 2013, 10:34:36 AM

where is everyone getting that rhodes cant cover? im pretty sure his resume speaks for itself. his interception total is low because teams avoided him. the fact that hes physical and a good tackler is a bonus. go back and watch his film from 2010. he was on an island a whole lot and held up well enough to be ACC DROY.  i actually question Banks ability on an island. he was targeted a lot in the games i watched and thats strange for a shutdown corner. everyone is going to get beat at some point but banks got burned badly in a couple games i saw. i think both Banks and Rhodes would be good options for the Bucs and i would love if we somehow got both but Banks has as many questions as rhodes does.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 22, 2013, 10:41:31 AM

Neither.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 22, 2013, 11:23:20 AM

Should be Milliner or Banks.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 22, 2013, 11:24:36 AM

not impressed at all by milliner. he has his moments but i think hes a reach in the top 10. need to trade back
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks or Xavier Rhodes? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools