Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This has to just infuriate some of you « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 23, 2013, 01:43:30 AM

I was just hoping he would put up JJ Watt-like numbers.

I know it's not the same position, but at least close to those numbers would be Probowl worthy (and worthy of the pick) for me. I know everyone is going to hate on me for this, but it's worrisome that we've had two DE's make more sacks (when at one time they were considered sub-par/average) in their "good" seasons, than in McCoy's probowl season.

I know we don't solely judge by sacks alone, but 5 sacks for a DT is average. You can argue that with Hurries and pressures, but to me, you might as well say they were "might have-been's." There is no denying his run-stopping abilities, but to place him in probowl for it is suspect imo. NOT saying the guy isn't good, just that I cannot understand how he got in.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 23, 2013, 02:19:00 AM

I know it's not the same position, but at least close to those numbers would be Probowl worthy (and worthy of the pick) for me. I know everyone is going to hate on me for this, but it's worrisome that we've had two DE's make more sacks (when at one time they were considered sub-par/average) in their "good" seasons, than in McCoy's probowl season.

I know we don't solely judge by sacks alone, but 5 sacks for a DT is average. You can argue that with Hurries and pressures, but to me, you might as well say they were "might have-been's." There is no denying his run-stopping abilities, but to place him in probowl for it is suspect imo. NOT saying the guy isn't good, just that I cannot understand how he got in.

Then I guess Vince Wilfork is the worst player ever because the most he's had in a season is 3.5.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 23, 2013, 02:21:42 AM

Why would I be infuriated? McCoy is a baller. It's also nice to see him get voted for the Pro Bowl instead of Suh.

Some hate on him because he didn't record 27 sacks last season.

10 would be a nice start

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#18 : January 23, 2013, 06:12:34 AM

Why would I be infuriated? McCoy is a baller. It's also nice to see him get voted for the Pro Bowl instead of Suh.

Would like to see a few more than 5

cryptfiend

Starter

#19 : January 23, 2013, 07:13:15 AM

He's a DT, not a DE.  Tackles don't get sacks like that, it's not their job.  Their job is to make subpar DEs look good.  You are spoiled on Sapp.  He is a first ballot hall of famer for a reason...

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 23, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

Can I get 9 sacks and him turning it on late in the game with the lead? For $8M I don't think that's too much to ask.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 23, 2013, 07:43:25 AM

Why would anyone be infuriated? It's aggravating that he spent the first two years on IR and raked in $30M....but he stayed healthy last year and played well. His Pro Bowl nod was well deserved.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#22 : January 23, 2013, 07:46:59 AM

The whole getting paid while not playing just doesn't seem right.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 23, 2013, 08:09:44 AM

What? Not even 27 sacks? Nevermind, McCoy is a garbage can.

He barely had 27 tackles ( 30 if you're keeping score ) ....

But congrats to Girly Man ...it pays to be playing at a position currently devoid of superstars around the league. I do appreciate his run defense , but run defenders can be found in the middle rounds.

( ...bracing for the flames  8)  )

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 23, 2013, 08:51:27 AM

Let the haters hate!
Blaze, I would argue he's amongst the most complete defensive tackles in the league, albeit I'd like to see more consistency in the pass rush. It's not like many DT's outside of Geno Atkins are rushing the passer well from his position. He's right there with most DT's.

Keep it coming Gerald. Excited for you.

No question.  The dude's a B+ pass rusher and an A+ run stopper.  I wish that was flipped, but I'm glad he's an A+ something.

He'll get better at rushing the passer. This was his first full season, the pass rush is something that takes more time to develop. I do believe he would have done better in the pass rush if Clayborn and Bowers were healthy all season as well.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 23, 2013, 08:59:07 AM

Let the haters hate!
Blaze, I would argue he's amongst the most complete defensive tackles in the league, albeit I'd like to see more consistency in the pass rush. It's not like many DT's outside of Geno Atkins are rushing the passer well from his position. He's right there with most DT's.

Keep it coming Gerald. Excited for you.

No question.  The dude's a B+ pass rusher and an A+ run stopper.  I wish that was flipped, but I'm glad he's an A+ something.

He'll get better at rushing the passer. This was his first full season, the pass rush is something that takes more time to develop. I do believe he would have done better in the pass rush if Clayborn and Bowers were healthy all season as well.

+1

He was having a really good season as a pass rusher early on because of AC.  When he went down, so did the 1 on 1 matchups he was being given.  I think all Bucs fans are a little spoiled when it comes to sacks from a DT...

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#26 : January 23, 2013, 09:04:12 AM

JJ Watt-like numbers? The dude had 20.5 sacks this year, lol....That is absurd to expect a DT to put up numbers like that. Hell, Sapp only managed double digit sacks four times in his whole career and one of those times was in Oakland.

5 sacks is not average for a DT at all, only 10 DTs in the league even managed 5 sacks this year (including McCoy). The position is not one where sacks are good judgement. Blind side passrushers should get sacks because they are attacking the QB where he can't see them. DTs are right in their face, if they get a great pass rush off the snap, they know to check down or throw it away because they are looking right at the rusher. DT sacks are usually the result of good coverage (something the Bucs know very little of these days) or the DE making the QB step up into the pocket (something the Bucs are also not very good at). McCoy was one of the best all around DTs in penetration this year, in passing and running situations alike. He is a keeper, but some won't accept him because he was the 3rd overall pick and not putting up monster stats.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#27 : January 23, 2013, 09:19:17 AM

I'm glad he was able to stay healthy this year and hope he can do the same in the future.  I think that's where some of the fans animosity comes from.  He makes way to much money a year to not be on the field at 100%.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 23, 2013, 09:52:20 AM

Outstanding GMac.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 23, 2013, 11:13:01 AM

5 Sacks and a full quality season. I'm happy. I'm not happy with his salary cap # but you can't have everything
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This has to just infuriate some of you « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools