Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PEWTER RANT - 1-23 - THINKING CALLAHAN SABOTAGED SUPER BOWL 37 IS IDIOTIC « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 23, 2013, 03:51:26 PM

Wow, apkbuc, that was great evaluation.  Scott is right, the accusations are pretty stupid.  Especially so with Brown having a drop at a critical time in this game.  Not sure what he thought the run was going to do to us.

This whole thing sounds kind of "chicken or egg" with Barrett Robbins.

apkbuc

Practice Squad

#16 : January 23, 2013, 04:42:31 PM

Wow, apkbuc, that was great evaluation.  Scott is right, the accusations are pretty stupid.  Especially so with Brown having a drop at a critical time in this game.  Not sure what he thought the run was going to do to us.

This whole thing sounds kind of "chicken or egg" with Barrett Robbins.

It's an interesting sort of discussion, for sure.

If you were Callahan what would YOU have done?  There was only one week between the AFC championship and Super Bowl (nowadays it's two weeks).  You're facing a defense that is not only exceptional, but also practices against YOUR offense every week.  Running against our defense was easier than throwing against it post-Hardy Nickerson.  We definitely went towards having a smaller/faster MLB after he retired (Jamie Duncan, Quarles, Nate Webster).  But we weren't "bad" against the run, in fact we were the 5th rated defense vs the rush that season, it's not like we were a sieve against the run.  In fact, we had a mediocre offense and the book on our defense was to run up the middle... it's actually quite impressive that our run defense was that highly rated given how often teams tried to exploit this.

I don't see how you install an entire new line call scheme in that kind of a window.  It's also a weird situation with their starting center, and whether his absence had anything to do with this or not; it's a mental health thing.  From what their players have said about the drinking binge that lead to him going AWOL, I would fault them for not taking him back to the hotel by FORCE if required.

Now, you can look back on the 1999 season, where the Raiders DESTROYED our vaunted defense of that year.  But keep in mind, on the D-line the only player leftover from that year in our starting unit was Warren sapp!  And frankly the Oakland O-line was getting up there age-wise by 2002.  It was hardly the same matchup in the trenches.

So it's an interesting question, obviously I do remember wondering why they didn't stick to their run game in the first half during that Super Bowl.  I certainly expected them to run more, and was pleasantly surprised at how well we clogged up their run in the first half.  At the time, I wasn't as familiar with the intricacies of line-play in the NFL... But now I am; and we CLEARLY knew their line calls.  So I don't think, short of installing all new line-calls they were going to beat us that way.  It's a shame, in a way that our super bowl will always be known as the game where the defense knew all the offense's plays.  I'm confident that that team could have taken ANYONE from the AFC in that super bowl, and it's not like we were in control of who we would play... and keep in mind that the raiders had the same knowledge of OUR offense.  Just watch the first half, they know our plays just as well as we know theirs!

It's probably one of the reasons they've gone to a 2-week timetable between the championship games and super bowl.

The silver lining is that it was a DOMINANT performance, and I will never grow tired of watching that game.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PEWTER RANT - 1-23 - THINKING CALLAHAN SABOTAGED SUPER BOWL 37 IS IDIOTIC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools