Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets are shopping Revis. Are you interested? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 24, 2013, 09:24:22 AM

Not sure how interested I am in giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for a 27 year old CB who contract expires at the end of the year.

i wouldnt be thrilled about restructuring his contract for say 15mil per...but would you rather use a 1st round draft pick on a johnthan banks or xavier rhodes at 21 years old?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 24, 2013, 09:57:21 AM

Not sure how interested I am in giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for a 27 year old CB who contract expires at the end of the year.

i wouldnt be thrilled about restructuring his contract for say 15mil per...but would you rather use a 1st round draft pick on a johnthan banks or xavier rhodes at 21 years old?

If we could get at least 5 shutdown CB years out of Revis, then it is definitely worth the big contract.  After, QB, shutdown CB is the next highest rated position; even before LT and DE in my opinion beacuse a true shutdown CB is really hard to find.  The ACL injury is the biggest concern for me but that should also make the asking price a lot less than if he was coming of an All-Pro year.   It is a risk but a risk worth taking IMO
: January 24, 2013, 10:02:14 AM Ft Myers Buc Fan

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 24, 2013, 10:35:54 AM

3 teams showing early interest in Revis are...

Broncos
Redskins
Raiders

If the Bucs don't show any interest the coach should go back to Pee-Wee, the GM should go back to Dollar General and the owners should sell...

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 24, 2013, 10:37:41 AM

How can you not want an "island"? We're pirates dammit!

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#34 : January 24, 2013, 11:14:41 AM

Can the media knowing your intento be considered the sign of a good GM?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 24, 2013, 11:16:48 AM

How can you not want an "island"? We're pirates dammit!
More importantly, they have the most pathetic group of cornerbacks this league has ever seen.

Of course, Revis may not be the same guy anymore.  But I'd be willing to bet he is going to heal quite nicely.

Nnamdi was a cat I wanted the Bucs to pursue in the worst way.  His play in Philly has been mediocre, to above average.  Some of that might be misuse of his talent, malaise in general regarding the team from ball boy up (Eagles), something.  In Oaktown, he was a tremendous cover corner.  He was melted cheese on bread.  I am not certain that Revis would fall apart like that, but still, I am willing to take a gamble on talent that has spoken for itself over and over...

I think he is worth a first round pick.  The talent is not all that great, IMO, anyway, and you get a stud CB in a pass happy league for at least the next 4 seasons at a pro bowl level, IMO. 

I wouldn't be upset if it did happen.  I would be upset if the Bucs weren't legit bidders for his services...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 24, 2013, 11:20:54 AM

This is all about the medicals. If his knee can even be cleared at this point I don't know. You want unhurt Revis but that option is long gone.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 24, 2013, 11:32:05 AM

Can the media knowing your intento be considered the sign of a good GM?

I bet Idzik has a list of potential suitors who called him listed right outside his office for everyone to see.   

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 24, 2013, 12:53:22 PM

If one of the corners we get doesn't happen to be a baller, we're still at stage one of the grown process.

Every QB in the bucs division can air out the ball. Signing revis would deffinately stop two things, a divisional rivial bringing him in, and teams being all pass happy on us. To me, it's imperative that the bucs make the greatest effort they can to solidify the cornerback position.

There isn't a corner in this division remotely as talented as revis. The impact he might have is worth the risk IMO.

Basically, we're saying 1st (possible banks,Xavier,miller, or Rhodes), and a 3-4th. If so, sign me up. That's pretty much saying, to have our choice its going to cost a first either way. In reality, we'd really only be spending a 3-4th. Easy peezy.
: January 24, 2013, 12:59:15 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 24, 2013, 12:56:05 PM

If one of the corners we get doesn't happen to be a baller, we're still at stage one of the grown process.

Every QB in the bucs division can air out the ball. Signing revis would deffinately stop two things, a divisional rivial bringing him in, and teams being all pass happy on us. To me, it's imperative that the bucs make the greatest effort they can to solidify the cornerback position.

There isn't a corner in this division remotely as talented as revis. The impact he might have is worth the risk IMO.

I agree. They really need to at least try to make it happen.

Buc45

Starter
#40 : January 24, 2013, 01:01:42 PM

He is coming off a major injury and has only one year left on his deal.  I am not interested if this is a one-year rental (doesn't his contract call for no franchise tag?)... Not sure about this one...

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#41 : January 24, 2013, 01:03:10 PM

If the guy heals and plays well for a few years it's worth a 1st it also buys us time to find long term solutions.

CTGuyton

Second String

#42 : January 24, 2013, 01:13:15 PM

I think any 1st rounder would be conditional that he signs a new contract. maybe that and plays 14+ games

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 24, 2013, 01:16:18 PM

I think the Jets are going to have a hard time trading Revis before the draft... not because of Revis, but because of the Jets.  According to KFFL.com, the Jets are already $19.4M over the 2013 salary cap and if they trade Revis before June 1, they're going to take a $9M cap hit.  That would put them almost $30M over the cap.  Another factor will be, does Revis want to hit the open market?  Right now, he's still under team control but he knows that while teams could trade for him, that's only about 3 or 4 teams in the bidding.  If he refuses to work on a long term deal with a potential suitor, he won't get traded and have potentially 31 teams bidding for him next March.  Throw these two important aspects into the discussion... I doubt Revis gets traded for legit value.  I think that if Revis gets traded, it won't be until June 1st.  By then, the Bucs would probably have already signed one FA CB and drafted another.  At that point, there's no reason why the Bucs should even contemplate trading for Revis.

CTGuyton

Second String

#44 : January 24, 2013, 01:25:08 PM

I think the Jets are going to have a hard time trading Revis before the draft... not because of Revis, but because of the Jets.  According to KFFL.com, the Jets are already $19.4M over the 2013 salary cap and if they trade Revis before June 1, they're going to take a $9M cap hit.  That would put them almost $30M over the cap.  Another factor will be, does Revis want to hit the open market?  Right now, he's still under team control but he knows that while teams could trade for him, that's only about 3 or 4 teams in the bidding.  If he refuses to work on a long term deal with a potential suitor, he won't get traded and have potentially 31 teams bidding for him next March.  Throw these two important aspects into the discussion... I doubt Revis gets traded for legit value.  I think that if Revis gets traded, it won't be until June 1st.  By then, the Bucs would probably have already signed one FA CB and drafted another. At that point, there's no reason why the Bucs should even contemplate trading for Revis.

He's under team control. So it doesn't matter what Revis wants. I'm sure both teams involved in the trade would try to make sure he's happy about it, but ultimately it's not his decision.

The other 2 lines I bolded are the reasons why it's in the Jets best interest to trade him. They don't want 31 teams bidding. They want to control where he goes. Getting him out of the AFC and AFC East specifically are top priorities. Allowing the Patriots to sign him is suicidal. And if they wait too long, as you pointed out, the list of suitors dwindles.

They will take a cap hit this year if they trade him, but it frees up a lot more space for 2014. Letting him walk isn't an option for them. And they need the space.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets are shopping Revis. Are you interested? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools