Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jake Long reportedly lowballed by Miami Dolphins « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 24, 2013, 12:07:19 AM

Jake Long reportedly lowballed by Miami Dolphins

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published:  Jan. 23, 2013 at 05:25 p.m.

The Miami Dolphins and prospective free agent Jake Long face an admittedly complicated contract negotiation in the coming months.

I don't think it's that complicated from the outside. It would be very, very surprising if the Dolphins were willing to pay Long more money than any other NFL team.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reported Wednesday that the Dolphins presented their left tackle with "something of a lowball" contract offer during the season. The Dolphins know Long did not play like a top-10 offensive tackle in 2012, and his injury concerns are serious long-term. He will need to take a pay cut to stay in Miami and yet ...

"He's one of those guys that likes the idea of being the best at what he does, and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does," one Dolphins source told Salguero. "Yeah, there's a considerable amount of professional ego there."

Asked Wednesday if Long still was elite, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland responded: "I think Jake can still play in this league for sure."

These are not quotes that come from a team that expects to keep a player. When a prospective free agent gets this close to free agency, the expected outcome is that he leaves. Once Long hits the market, he should be willing to find a team ready to take a big chance on him.

It sounds like the Dolphins know too much to take that chance.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 24, 2013, 12:10:14 AM

Sign him up!

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#2 : January 24, 2013, 12:17:17 AM

Sign him up!
Not for the money he's looking for.  Pass

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 24, 2013, 02:17:51 AM

I don't think anyone will sign him for what he's asking.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 24, 2013, 08:47:38 AM

They'll franchise Sean Smith and let Long walk.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 24, 2013, 08:53:44 AM

Well, not against it, we need more help at tackle but I wouldn't break the bank on him. A top 15 CB helps us much more than a top 15 Tackle

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#6 : January 24, 2013, 10:35:32 AM

Franchise him and be on the hook for 10.6 million?  I'm a big supporter of bringing him here, but no way has he played well enough to even sniff that kind of money.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 24, 2013, 11:04:14 AM

You know why they low balled him? He's now a name without the game. long has been injured too much and his play has slipped badly.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 24, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

Has his play really slipped that far?

I attributed a lot of his issues to injuries that seem to have caught him, but I think this kid could be an absolute beast when right...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 24, 2013, 11:39:24 AM

Has his play really slipped that far?

I attributed a lot of his issues to injuries that seem to have caught him, but I think this kid could be an absolute beast when right...

Yes he's been pretty mundane since the injuries. The thing is these aren't short term injuries but more of the he's now damaged goods type of thing. He was a beast when right but he is no longer right.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 24, 2013, 11:48:17 AM

Another Tony Boselli thing huh?  Tragic.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 24, 2013, 11:54:45 AM

Franchise him and be on the hook for 10.6 million?  I'm a big supporter of bringing him here, but no way has he played well enough to even sniff that kind of money.

How much do you think he'll get on the open market where he'll be by far the best CB if not maybe the best defensive player available? $10.6 million for one year on a team with no great players to give contracts to is a no brainer. He's going to get get franchised.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 24, 2013, 11:55:49 AM

There is a reason they don't want to pay him top Tackle $...cause he isn't a top T. No thanks. Dude will be Doug Free 2.0. Gets a big deal from someone, and then will play average-below average football.

Once again, no thanks.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 24, 2013, 11:58:16 AM

Another Tony Boselli thing huh?  Tragic.

To a lesser extent, yeah.  Good analogy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 24, 2013, 12:20:21 PM

How much do you think he'll get on the open market where he'll be by far the best CB if not maybe the best defensive player available? $10.6 million for one year on a team with no great players to give contracts to is a no brainer. He's going to get get franchised.

i dont think sean smith getting 10mil is a definite.  possibility, sure.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jake Long reportedly lowballed by Miami Dolphins « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools