Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who are the First Round CB's That Reward the Team Who Drafted Them? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 25, 2013, 10:58:04 AM

Can you pass and can you stop the pass. Can we pass? Hells yeah we can pass, Free just broke the Franchise record. Can we stop the pass? Hell no we can't we just broke the franchise record for most passing yards given up.

FS or CB or I'm very disappointed in the 1st round.

I could care less about a Safety. Corner, corner, corner. I can't say it enough.

But the bold is quite true. Not even "Big" Manning himself is going to win much, not with a defense that gives away a ton of third downs and long throws late in the game. We can attribute that to either the aggressive playcalling, or the lack of talent in the backfield. Personally, I believe it's a combination of both. One thing is for certain though, if there is no talent injected into this defensive backfield this offseason, we can undeniably expect the very same outcome we had this season, defensive scheme changes or not.

Revis, for all the crap he's had said about him, could very well be another "VJax" scenario. Maybe he comes here and acts classy, and as a leader? Certainly VJax has. Same MO with Revis imo. He wants money and respect, which the Bucs have plenty of for him. If the Jets wait until after the draft (which they probably will, unless Revis asks), that would mean giving up the "good" QB draft crop (our 1st), and IDK if I would want that (our ace in hole if free has to go).

Still, there is a good possibility that freeman can get the bucs to playoffs with a better passing defense backing him up. Trading that first may very well be worth it though. If the Jets can't or won't deal Revis out before draft, I hope the Bucs draft Banks, then reach out for Revis. A combo of those two physical corners would be pretty good imo.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 25, 2013, 11:09:16 AM

No offense, Blaze, I agree with FRG, that is some impressive number crunching, but I hope the team doesn't rely too much on "trends" and "metrics" when selecting their players.  I like Stokes approach of going with feel and first impressions.  Also, this is a game played by people, and personalities and "fits" have to be considered too, in order to make a successful team.  If we reach, and take a guy just because first round corners have more success, then we probably won't have a good draft.

I would never advocate a personnel move "because the numbers say so." These are just a historical measuring stick -- purely retrospective.  It should neither prevent or encourage the drafting of a player; if that was the case, and all teams weighed the four-percent payoff versus the 96-percent failure, then none of those second round+ Pro Bowlers would've ever been drafted.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#17 : January 25, 2013, 11:13:57 AM

No offense, Blaze, I agree with FRG, that is some impressive number crunching, but I hope the team doesn't rely too much on "trends" and "metrics" when selecting their players.  I like Stokes approach of going with feel and first impressions.  Also, this is a game played by people, and personalities and "fits" have to be considered too, in order to make a successful team.  If we reach, and take a guy just because first round corners have more success, then we probably won't have a good draft.

I would never advocate a personnel move "because the numbers say so." These are just a historical measuring stick -- purely retrospective.  It should neither prevent or encourage the drafting of a player; if that was the case, and all teams weighed the four-percent payoff versus the 96-percent failure, then none of those second round+ Pro Bowlers would've ever been drafted.

Glad to hear it.  These metrics do have a place, and can often reveal information that would otherwise be overlooked.  Sounds like we both share a similar opinion that they aren't the "end all be all". 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who are the First Round CB's That Reward the Team Who Drafted Them? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools