Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is pass rush an even bigger need than CB? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucinsouthFL

Starter

: January 24, 2013, 03:01:00 PM

I'm starting to feel like we need to make some sort of trade or throw money at a proven pass rusher. Don't let Bennet go, he is our only proven pass rusher. As a LDE he is not expected to be a double digit guy anyway. I love Clayborn and Bowers and want them to succeed, but I'm just tired of watching QBs sit around all day. Brees is still and Brees and Matt Ryan is hitting his prime. Unless we put those guys on the ground we have no chance at winning this division. Even if we address the huge hole at corner, I still feel like this team will get lit up. So there are a few options

1. Sign a proven guy

2. Draft a pass rusher with the first pick (I don't really see an elite one falling to the bucs)

3. Pray that Bowers, Adrian and Bennet (assuming we keep him) all chip in next year

4. Find ways to get sacks out of David, Foster and our corners

Thoughts? 
: January 24, 2013, 03:05:32 PM bucinsouthFL

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 24, 2013, 03:06:16 PM

Upgrade both somehow this offseason and the defense is definitely improved.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#2 : January 24, 2013, 03:09:45 PM

Upgrade both somehow this offseason and the defense is definitely improved.

I think if that happens balla, it's going to involve one of the current roster guys simply getting better or breaking out. There are a few decent CBs out there, and who knows, Dom might be able to jump up and grab Millner, but it seems like the only way this defense is going to get a lot better is if the in house guys get better. There is just not enough out there in the draft and free agency to buy our way out of this one.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 24, 2013, 03:17:46 PM

They can sign a guy or two. I dont know if they are thinking of using FA this year but I think they should. I agree if they cant it needs to come from the roster. Which would put us in trouble. You know if they dont sign one in FA they will draft one in rd one or 2. You know that guy would be starting and would probably/hopefully eventually be better than what we got now. I just think if they want to improve as a defense they need to go sign a guy in FA. I hope thats what they are thinking as well. DE also needs to be upgraded IMO. The pass rush on this team is as bad as it gets.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 24, 2013, 03:39:44 PM

This pass rush debate is getting old and more useless as time goes by. We have a damn good DL. The players are not the problem, its the play calling. Can anyone remember week 1 against the Panthers. Our DL was constantly in Cam's face. Why they got fancy with the play calling after that is beyond me. CB is a bigger need than pass rusher. A free safety is currently a bigger need than a pass rusher. Grim would fit nice but I think he'll be gone.

Piratic

Starter

#5 : January 24, 2013, 03:40:23 PM

@OP
Your lack of trust in #91, #94, and #71 is the basis for your take.
Please consider:
All three are underrated. All three are entering their prime.
While new talent will always be added to nearly every position group, these three DEs are going to be fixtures on this roster.
I think that we will indeed get more QB sacks from the back-seven in 2013. A second year in the system can only bring more production, from each and every position group. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 24, 2013, 03:49:59 PM

This pass rush debate is getting old and more useless as time goes by. We have a damn good DL. The players are not the problem, its the play calling. Can anyone remember week 1 against the Panthers. Our DL was constantly in Cam's face. Why they got fancy with the play calling after that is beyond me. CB is a bigger need than pass rusher. A free safety is currently a bigger need than a pass rusher. Grim would fit nice but I think he'll be gone.

The thing with me about the Dline is whether or not they can stay healthy. Bowers, Clayborn, McCoy, and even Bennett have all had a history of injuries. It seems every season they get hit with the injury bug on the Dline. I see a bunch of people saying oh dont worry about the Dline we got Bowers and Clayborn coming back healthy. Really?? We know this for sure? If they get hurt again our Dline is back where it was this season. I dont think they should ignore the Dline. They should think about some insurance in case we have some injuries again.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 24, 2013, 03:51:30 PM

A DT who could draw a double-team away from GM now and then would be nice, but unless we lose Bennett I can't see adding another DE to the mix. We have talent there, and they're young. They need experience, not more competition. We have backup CBs starting for us, that might not make the PS for many teams in the league. If our DBs could cover for more than 2 seconds, our DL might get a sack or two. We have talent everywhere except CB on this defense. It's the easiest position on the team to upgrade.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 24, 2013, 03:53:13 PM

So if they get hurt again we will all be saying why didnt they address the DE position this offseason? We were near last in sacks. To do nothing just looks dumb. Especially if somebody gets hurt.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 24, 2013, 03:55:04 PM

The thing with me about the Dline is whether or not they can stay healthy. Bowers, Clayborn, McCoy, and even Bennett have all had a history of injuries. It seems every season they get hit with the injury bug on the Dline. I see a bunch of people saying oh dont worry about the Dline we got Bowers and Clayborn coming back healthy. Really?? We know this for sure? If they get hurt again our Dline is back where it was this season. I dont think they should ignore the Dline. They should think about some insurance in case we have some injuries again.

Its football and stuff like that happens. The Eagles have a good starting OL. However, four of the five starters got injuried. That is something that can't be controlled. Buffalo spent how much for Mario Williams for him to get hurt there?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 24, 2013, 03:57:43 PM

I just think its better to be prepared for that type of stuff. I realize its football and injuries happen to every team but it can also be avoided as best as possible. I dont see the hurt in finding a little insurance in case one of those guys get hurt again. Which could very well happen. Its been our luck lately.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : January 24, 2013, 04:00:29 PM

They have used a helluva lot of high draft picks already on the D line.   The last high pick they had on a corner was for Talib.   He was a Pro Bowl level talent, but he's gone.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 24, 2013, 04:10:15 PM

OK, you're main concern is depth. Last year we needed depth on both lines and in the defensive backfield. Next year it might be QB, RB, and LB. We're overdue for a year without several crippling injuries. You have to upgrade starters first and then worry about depth. Free agency will fill some needs and dictate who we draft. I really don't care how we do it beyond BPA in the first round. CB has to be a high priority, but the value has to be there.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 24, 2013, 04:11:24 PM

I dont think they need to use their first rounder on Dline really but I dont think it would make me upset. I agree that Corner is the biggest need on the team and need to focus on that more than anything. Id just hate to see them get the injury bug there again. Seems like every year.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 24, 2013, 04:20:01 PM

I dont think they need to use their first rounder on Dline really but I dont think it would make me upset. I agree that Corner is the biggest need on the team and need to focus on that more than anything. Id just hate to see them get the injury bug there again. Seems like every year.

I'd be fine with an impact DT in the first. OCs would go nuts trying to figure out who to double-team. Hopefully this year they stay healthy.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is pass rush an even bigger need than CB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools