Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is pass rush an even bigger need than CB? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 24, 2013, 04:23:55 PM

We don't need more talent on the D-line. We need the talent we have to stay healthy. We just need more talent at CB.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 24, 2013, 04:47:39 PM

We don't need more talent on the D-line. We need the talent we have to stay healthy. We just need more talent at CB.

I agree with this. All those guys on the D-line are high draft picks . They need to just stay healthy and get it done . Focus on the secondary , re-sign Bennett , and hope Clayborn and Bowers develop into the players we need them to be.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#17 : January 24, 2013, 04:51:46 PM

I agree with this. All those guys on the D-line are high draft picks . They need to just stay healthy and get it done . Focus on the secondary , re-sign Bennett , and hope Clayborn and Bowers develop into the players we need them to be.
Best case scenario. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 24, 2013, 05:07:27 PM

So I guess we depend on those guys to stay healthy? I hope they have some kind of plan in case those guys go down again.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 24, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

it's not as if Bowers or Clayborn have been limited by their degenerative knee/erbs palsy

it's been other, random injuries that could happen to anyone

I wouldn't mind taking another pass rusher, but only because you can never have too many good pass rushers. Clayborn and Bowers could have gotten 10 sacks last year and I would still say that pass rusher is on the table if they were the BPA.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 24, 2013, 05:27:47 PM

So I guess we depend on those guys to stay healthy? I hope they have some kind of plan in case those guys go down again.

Yeah , Te'o-Nesheim. LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NovaBuc

Starter

#21 : January 24, 2013, 06:07:24 PM

Unless we can get a sure-fire freak of a pass rusher, I'd say no. Improve our secondary and get everyone back healthy, the pass rush will improve. Tweak the scheme some - like don't run the stunts so often and the sacks will come. The team isn't that far off from being in the upper half of the league in sacks as bad as last year was. Less than a sack a game more during the year (a dozen actually) would have put us inside top 10 for sacks in the league and ahead of all of the teams that were in the Championship round last weekend. I'd bet we could get half that if we had a secondary that could cover for more than three seconds and force QBs to hold onto the ball a half second or more longer.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 24, 2013, 06:48:16 PM

Our 4th defensive end had 4 sacks this year. When our corners are getting beat immediately, it wouldn't matter if you had Simeon and Sapp on the line. QB gets rid of the ball before they even make their move. We have a great DLINE and a lot of depth, especially since our ends can play tackle. Our corners are dreadful and our playcalling is abysmal.

big_JLB

Starter

#23 : January 24, 2013, 09:12:51 PM

i don't think pass rush is necessarily a bigger need than CB, however its probably the second biggest IMO. i get the "fix the secondary and get everyone healthy" argument, and i agree with needing to stop all those stupid stunts and finding ways to get some pressure from the LB's and secondary. that being said, if you can add another 8-10 sack type player and get some more production from the back seven then things are coming up roses. a nasty pass rush can make up for a suspect pass defence. i don't buy the argument that the DB's were getting beat in the blink of an eye, and thats the reason for the abysmal pass defence. rather it was a combination of poor scheme, players who are clearly depth at best being forced to start, and....A LACK OF PASS RUSH. QB's had all day, literally. in a perfect world they would bring in a vet #1 or #2 to compete with a 1st or 2nd round rookie, and sign a legitimate nickel, like someone who could be starter.  then have whomever the second CB they draft (really believe they'll take two) compete with biggers, leo johnson, gorrer, and lewis&lewis for 4-6 on the depth chart.

i also think this whole pass rush/pass defence thing is going to be what defines the route they take in draft and free agency. by looking at the FA pool and the positional depth at various points in this years draft i think it might be likely that a CB won't be their first selection. the draft is loaded at the top with O and D-line and then IMO the CB depth picks up where the linemen start to fall off. in free agency there are a lot of potential CB and DT targets, whereas DE is a little thin. i can see them taking a pass rusher or even an OT and then doubling up on CB's with a combination of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round picks. it would be awesome if dom could work his magic to get a DE at #13 then trade back up into the first if one of the banks or rhodes is still available.
: January 24, 2013, 09:15:16 PM big_jlb

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 24, 2013, 10:45:33 PM

Nailed it

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 25, 2013, 09:13:12 AM

Our 4th defensive end had 4 sacks this year. When our corners are getting beat immediately, it wouldn't matter if you had Simeon and Sapp on the line. QB gets rid of the ball before they even make their move. We have a great DLINE and a lot of depth, especially since our ends can play tackle. Our corners are dreadful and our playcalling is abysmal.

+1

T.I. McCrown: King of the South

Starter
#26 : January 25, 2013, 09:15:14 AM

Anybody who prioritizes d-line over CB, just look to the Eagles game. Our line absolutely ravaged through the Eagles line and made Foles their personal punching bag, but he was still able to beat our corners all game.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 25, 2013, 09:38:50 AM

i don't think pass rush is necessarily a bigger need than CB, however its probably the second biggest IMO. i get the "fix the secondary and get everyone healthy" argument, and i agree with needing to stop all those stupid stunts and finding ways to get some pressure from the LB's and secondary. that being said, if you can add another 8-10 sack type player and get some more production from the back seven then things are coming up roses. a nasty pass rush can make up for a suspect pass defence. i don't buy the argument that the DB's were getting beat in the blink of an eye, and thats the reason for the abysmal pass defence. rather it was a combination of poor scheme, players who are clearly depth at best being forced to start, and....A LACK OF PASS RUSH. QB's had all day, literally. in a perfect world they would bring in a vet #1 or #2 to compete with a 1st or 2nd round rookie, and sign a legitimate nickel, like someone who could be starter.  then have whomever the second CB they draft (really believe they'll take two) compete with biggers, leo johnson, gorrer, and lewis&lewis for 4-6 on the depth chart.

i also think this whole pass rush/pass defence thing is going to be what defines the route they take in draft and free agency. by looking at the FA pool and the positional depth at various points in this years draft i think it might be likely that a CB won't be their first selection. the draft is loaded at the top with O and D-line and then IMO the CB depth picks up where the linemen start to fall off. in free agency there are a lot of potential CB and DT targets, whereas DE is a little thin. i can see them taking a pass rusher or even an OT and then doubling up on CB's with a combination of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round picks. it would be awesome if dom could work his magic to get a DE at #13 then trade back up into the first if one of the banks or rhodes is still available.

Nice assessment but I disagree. The second biggest need would be a free safety more than DL. Currently we don't have depth at the position nor a true starter other than Grimm. I think Grimm and Barron would make a nice combo but I have a feeling Schiano sees it differently. Our safeties really didn't give the CBs any help deep down field. I think fans are not considering two things: 1. DL are not passing rushing QBs just sitting in the pocket waiting for something to get open anymore. The game is changing and QBs are getting more mobile. 2. We managed to stay number in rush defense without a starting DE and backup DT and DE. Also it is hard to talk about pass rush when a DE is 15 down field covering a TE. In other words the play calling sucked. Fans are really looking at the DL from a narrow perspective. Adding depth would be cool but early in the draft wouldn't make any sense nor a high dollar free agent.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 25, 2013, 09:55:34 AM

Nice assessment but I disagree. The second biggest need would be a free safety more than DL. Currently we don't have depth at the position nor a true starter other than Grimm. I think Grimm and Barron would make a nice combo but I have a feeling Schiano sees it differently. Our safeties really didn't give the CBs any help deep down field. I think fans are not considering two things: 1. DL are not passing rushing QBs just sitting in the pocket waiting for something to get open anymore. The game is changing and QBs are getting more mobile. 2. We managed to stay number in rush defense without a starting DE and backup DT and DE. Also it is hard to talk about pass rush when a DE is 15 down field covering a TE. In other words the play calling sucked. Fans are really looking at the DL from a narrow perspective. Adding depth would be cool but early in the draft wouldn't make any sense nor a high dollar free agent.

no love for ahmad black?  also, did you see kruger trying to cover aaron hernandez last week?  every team gets caught trying it.  i do agree we probably need some FS help, because it doesnt look as though grimm can be that guy.  would much rather an adequate vet rather than a rookie though.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#29 : January 25, 2013, 09:59:13 AM

I hope the Bucs maximize McCoy's impact by pairing him with another talented DT with some pass rushing ability. This defense is all about #93.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is pass rush an even bigger need than CB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools