Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Drafting Johnthan Banks in the 1st Round? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 24, 2013, 07:01:19 PM

Banks would be a wise selection.

At pick 22......

No offense but parsing between 13 and 22 isn't really worth it. If Banks is a guy we think is good enough to be a quality starter at CB then he's worth the 13th pick.

It is worth it if there are 9 other players who are graded significantly higher than Banks. I am not convinced that Banks is that much better than the next 3 or 4 CBs on the board and I don't want to pass over significantly higher rated players to reach for him at #13

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 24, 2013, 07:24:45 PM

At pick 22......

No offense but parsing between 13 and 22 isn't really worth it. If Banks is a guy we think is good enough to be a quality starter at CB then he's worth the 13th pick.

It is worth it if there are 9 other players who are graded significantly higher than Banks. I am not convinced that Banks is that much better than the next 3 or 4 CBs on the board and I don't want to pass over significantly higher rated players to reach for him at #13

Like who ? Name the player who's so much better at #13 .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 24, 2013, 07:43:47 PM

I like Banks. He was regarded as a top 10 pick before this year but injuries really slowed him down. His story is Adrian Clayborn all over again. Underwhelming senior year but didn't get to live up to the hype that was anticipated. Banks is a play-making CB with some return ability. If he runs a solid 40 time and tests will in the combine in the drills, we should be all over him at #13. Type of guy that WILL be better in the NFL than he was in college. With NFL coaching he could be a shutdown type.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#18 : January 24, 2013, 07:52:29 PM

100% agree with you, sometimes you can just tell by the way players play how the'll be in the NFL and i think banks' talent set is exactly what you need in the NFL.
-Height
-Ability to Cover
-Smart
-Hasn't been suspended or arrested
-Solid Tackling Ability
-Leader of his team
-Played against solid talent

Banks has all of those qualities and if he wasn't injured he would be that much better. Banks is absolutely not a reach if Dom thinks that he will be a shutdown CB.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 24, 2013, 07:56:43 PM

At pick 22......

100% agree. People like to get real cute with this stuff, but the fact is that it's murky in this area. Better to get the guy you are sure of and let Kiper yell at you about value.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 24, 2013, 08:02:46 PM

At pick 22......

If the Bucs grade 9 players significantly higher than him then they aren't going to draft him. You assume that the 3-4 comparable CBs are still there 32 picks later.

This is not an endorsement of Banks, nor a condemnation of him - I'm not sure about him yet.  And generally, I love trade downs as it's a glorified lottery.

The point is that as fans we sometimes act like there's real precision in the trade-downs.  The reality is that there are a limited number of interested trade partners, and 31 teams playing poker. You can't know all the boards. If you don't believe, me search for the pictures of the Cowboys board from a year or two ago and see how it compares to other stuff out there, or take a look at some of the Bill's picks from a few years ago. 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 24, 2013, 08:30:34 PM

100% agree with you, sometimes you can just tell by the way players play how the'll be in the NFL and i think banks' talent set is exactly what you need in the NFL.
-Height
-Ability to Cover
-Smart
-Hasn't been suspended or arrested
-Solid Tackling Ability
-Leader of his team
-Played against solid talent

Banks has all of those qualities and if he wasn't injured he would be that much better. Banks is absolutely not a reach if Dom thinks that he will be a shutdown CB.
...and it doesn't hurt that he pretty much locked up Julio Jones 2 years ago.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 24, 2013, 08:43:05 PM

...and here is the draft strawman argument. We'll see 1000 variants on this but basically if the stand is "You can pick a bad player or a good player" no kidding you take the good player. Thing is by the time you get to 13, you are not longer dealing with the "elite" players - and this draft might not have any really - and so the guys from 8-25 are pretty much a big bag of same.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 24, 2013, 08:53:28 PM

At pick 22......

Sheldon Richardson
Shariff Floyd
Eric Fisher
Dion Jordon
Barkevious Mingo
Jonathon Hankins
Keenan Allen

These are all players that I think would be a better pick at #13.  People act like if we dont draft a CB at #13, then we wont address the position.   I fully expect the Bucs to add at least one CB in FA and I just don't see that much difference between Banks and Rhodes, Trufant, and Ryan.  The big question is if the Bucs think this way.  I agree with those posters who say if the Bucs fall in love with Banks and he is their guy; then grab him at #13.  However, I didn't believe Banks is "their guy" before this report in Walter Football and now I definitely don't believe it because who in their right mind would already state to any reporter that we already have our guy picked out when the draft process has barely begun.  It is completely ridiculous.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#24 : January 24, 2013, 09:08:43 PM

First, WalterFootball is not saying that he is the Bucs "guy" they are saying that some people in their scouting group think that Banks is a very good CB and they would trade down then pick him from wherever they trade down to. They are not saying draft him at 13. Second, I would be fine with Richardson and Hankins in the 1st Round IF the Bucs trade up into R1 draft Desmond Trufant then trade up to R2 and take Logan Ryan. I think that would cover our needs and give us 3 very good players. But if we do not take CBs in R2 or R3 then I would much rather have Banks at 13

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 24, 2013, 09:09:48 PM

At pick 22......

Sheldon Richardson
Shariff Floyd
Eric Fisher
Dion Jordon
Barkevious Mingo
Jonathon Hankins
Keenan Allen

These are all players that I think would be a better pick at #13.  People act like if we dont draft a CB at #13, then we wont address the position.   I fully expect the Bucs to add at least one CB in FA and I just don't see that much difference between Banks and Rhodes, Trufant, and Ryan.  The big question is if the Bucs think this way.  I agree with those posters who say if the Bucs fall in love with Banks and he is their guy; then grab him at #13.  However, I didn't believe Banks is "their guy" before this report in Walter Football and now I definitely don't believe it because who in their right mind would already state to any reporter that we already have our guy picked out when the draft process has barely begun.  It is completely ridiculous.
But, is there really a significant difference between Mingo and Jordan? These guys are like the 5th and 6th best DE in the draft class while Banks is at worse the #2 CB in the class.

Richardson is the #2 DT, Hankins is right there with him. Fisher is the 2nd best OT. So, we're picking a player regardless of position that is 2nd or 3rd best at their position. Not a drop off at all. All around the same value.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 24, 2013, 09:13:51 PM

But, is there really a significant difference between Mingo and Jordan? These guys are like the 5th and 6th best DE in the draft class while Banks is at worse the #2 CB in the class.

Richardson is the #2 DT, Hankins is right there with him. Fisher is the 2nd best OT. So, we're picking a player regardless of position that is 2nd or 3rd best at their position. Not a drop off at all. All around the same value.
[/quote]

It's only the same value if you think the position groups are the same.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 24, 2013, 09:24:22 PM

It was a rhetorical question but yes.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 24, 2013, 09:24:28 PM

[/quote]

This is the key point ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#29 : January 24, 2013, 09:24:49 PM

Did a little more research on the kid and there doesn't seem like there is much not to like...Good size, fluid hips, experience, good blitzing ability, no character concerns. I don't watch many games, so I'm going off what I read here (highlight tapes are pretty useless) anyone seen the kid play?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Drafting Johnthan Banks in the 1st Round? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools