Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's post-season draft grade revisions; Bucs still an A. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

: January 24, 2013, 08:42:24 PM

After a season in the books, I still really like this draft. At the time I wrote, "In terms of adding impactful talent, and working the board, it's hard to do any better than Tampa Bay did in the first two rounds." You can question positional value drafting a safety in the top 10, but it was a big need, and Mark Barron was the best safety available in the draft. He has work to do in his ability to cover, but he started all 16 games and should only get better. Doug Martin is already one of the top running backs in the NFL, and does everything well -- running, catching, blocking and even holding onto the ball. He fell just short of 2,000 total yards. Lavonte David was one of my favorite picks in the draft, a steal at No. 58 overall, and 16 starts and 139 tackles later can't be considered anything less than a great value for the Bucs. There isn't much to show for the later rounds, but the Bucs got three impact starters with their first three picks, and worked the board well to land Martin. Can't ask for much more in terms of immediate impact.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/24/3913154/2012-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-regrades-gives-buccaneers-an-a

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 24, 2013, 08:58:55 PM

Great draft. They need another one this spring. Not easy to have a repeat performance.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 24, 2013, 09:54:16 PM

Two more like that one and itś Super Bowl time.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : January 24, 2013, 10:40:29 PM

Barron was a bad pick.   David and Martin were good picks.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 25, 2013, 08:49:57 AM

This one goes right next to 95' as the best drafts in Buccaneer history. David and Martin do it on their own, but it will take some time to see if Barron pushes this draft over the top or drags it down. It's too bad we couldn't have added some good picks later in the draft too....but when you get two Pro Bowl level talents, I guess you can't complain.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 25, 2013, 08:56:06 AM

It's too bad we couldn't have added some good picks later in the draft too....

premature?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 25, 2013, 10:03:32 AM

Barron was a bad pick.   David and Martin were good picks.

Barron made the all rookie team so someone thinks it wasn't too bad of a pick.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Madman

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 25, 2013, 12:08:56 PM

A, easily.

Pro bowl RB, a borderline rookie pro bowl LB and a starting safety.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 25, 2013, 12:22:04 PM

Even though the Barron pick was a boneheaded move, Martin and David still easily carry it to "A" status.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 25, 2013, 12:31:11 PM

It takes 5+ years to grade a draft. Remember our 2007 draft was all the craze. Adams finished the year on fire, Sears looked like he was going to be a perennial pro-bowler and Tanard Jackson was phenomenal.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 25, 2013, 12:31:32 PM

It's too bad we couldn't have added some good picks later in the draft too....

premature?

Yeah exactly. We've just gotten used to late round rookies getting starting positions on the team because there wasn't as much talent. Some of them could be very good backups, or may surprise us. I think Tandy will provide good competition with Black for the starting FS spot once Ronde retires.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 25, 2013, 01:14:30 PM

To come out of a draft with a top offensive player AND a top defensive player in their first year certainly rates an "A" in my book. Barron didn't quite have their impact, but then our entire pass defense struggled with injuries, so no real surprise to see Barron less than perfect. No worries; Barron has a much higher ceiling than we saw last season...
     If Ronde actually retires, I expect to see a lot more of Tandy at S next season. And maybe "the Drake" will get some PT as a TE/H-Back. Najee Goode will likely get a shot too, especially if Quincy Black can't get all the way back.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 25, 2013, 01:33:55 PM

Maybe Tandy. I'll be amazed if Goode is even on the roster next year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 25, 2013, 01:36:19 PM

It takes 5+ years to grade a draft. Remember our 2007 draft was all the craze. Adams finished the year on fire, Sears looked like he was going to be a perennial pro-bowler and Tanard Jackson was phenomenal.

I must've slept thru that.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 25, 2013, 02:38:42 PM

Good point, but it's also worth noting that Sears and Jackson both fell off the map mentally. I'm not sure if Sears issues were known at all before the draft, but I believe Tanard was known to be a character concern. So far, I haven't seen anything to suggest our top 3 guys have anything holding then back mentally.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's post-season draft grade revisions; Bucs still an A. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools