Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It’s hard to see the Bucs – or any team –acquiring Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 25, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »

JANUARY 24, 2013

Bucs fans want Revis, but there's a lot to consider

Before I had even heard the rumblings that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis might be the subject of trade talks, Bucs fans were already sending tweets and emails with questions about the likelihood of Tampa Bay acquiring the All-Pro.

It was no surprise. Given the Bucs’ personnel issues in their secondary, grabbing Revis would be one sure way to address the problem. Right?

Well, maybe.

There are two main reasons a potential trade for Revis is complicated for any team, not just the Bucs.

For one, there’s the obvious: Revis suffered a very serious injury last season, tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and undergoing season-ending surgery. Many players bounce back from these injuries with flying colors, i.e. Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. But that’s something that can never be assumed.

Will Revis still have his speed? Will his recovery timeline be what everyone expects? Perhaps, but there’s always a chance those things won’t happen. Given what a team would have to give up for Revis in terms of draft picks and/or players, this is a serious roll of the dice.

Along those same lines, the second issue regarding a possible Revis trade is, well, the cost – both in compensation to the Jets and to Revis himself. It’s hard to even speculate what a team would give the Jets for Revis, but the asking price is going to be out of this world for the best cornerback in football. And here’s where I’d have the biggest issue if I was a general manager: Revis is entering the final year of his contract in 2013, meaning unless you can negotiate an extension, you’re essentially renting a player for one year and paying twice (via the trade and the salary).

Don’t forget Revis has already staged a successful contract holdout once before, in 2010. Who is to say he wouldn’t do it again?

Outside of a team on the verge of making the Super Bowl, there aren’t going to be a lot of teams that see this as a good idea given all the factors. And that probably includes the Bucs.

The Bucs have other financial concerns on the horizon. If they decide it’s the way to go, they’ll soon be talking about a deal for quarterback Josh Freeman. Receiver Mike Williams will be due for a raise soon, too. A possible deal for free agent defensive end Michael Bennett is something they’re considering.

Revis is one of if not the best defensive player in the game. Having him on your team changes everything. But acquiring him under the circumstances outlined here is not the ideal situation.

That’s why it’s hard to see the Bucs – or any team – doing a deal like this.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 9:38:20 am on January 24, 2013

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 25, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

If it was "ideal" , he wouldn't be available - I mean he's the best corner in the entire league.

The risk is worth the reward .....we'd be stupid to not at least test the waters.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 25, 2013, 08:19:10 AM »

The author seems to be operating under the ridiculous assumption that the price won't come down if it's more than anyone is willing to pay. The rest is a review of the obvious. Better step it up, Holder, this crap belongs on Bleacher Report.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 25, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »

If it was "ideal" , he wouldn't be available - I mean he's the best corner in the entire league.

The risk is worth the reward .....we'd be stupid to not at least test the waters.

Yup.

Given the horrible state of the cornerbacks on this team, the fact that barber won't be here much longer, and the need of a guy like that on this defense, I'd say they deffinately need to at least give it a shot.

It would cost a first (we were going for a corner in the first anyhow), and a 3rd-4th. So essentially, we'd be giving up a third to get the guy we want. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, seeing how the overall talent in draft isn't that great this go-around.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 25, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »

So we give up a 1st or some other king's ransom.....to rent the guy for a year? Pass.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 25, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »

So we give up a 1st or some other king's ransom.....to rent the guy for a year? Pass.

of course not, you give up a 1st if he restructures and signs an extension.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 25, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »

of course not, you give up a 1st if he restructures and signs an extension.

As I said in the other post, I personally don't think the Jets are going to trade him before June 1st.  If they do, they're going to take a $9M cap hit... on top of a roster that is already $19M over the cap.  They can't create a hole (at CB by trading Revis), and add to the amount of money they have to trim from the roster.  They're going to wait until after the draft to see if they can draft a replacement.  If they do, then they'll trade him in June... if they don't , they'll keep him and try to work out a long term deal... or just let him walk.  At worst, they'll get a solid year of play from him and a 3rd round compensatory pick.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 25, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »

i certainly understand and agree with that.

espn radio just said there are reports that woody johnson is set on trading revis.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

player101

Starter
« #8 : January 25, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »

Anyone know what kind of cap hit we will take if we straight cut Wright?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 25, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

Anyone know what kind of cap hit we will take if we straight cut Wright?

None.  The only guaranteed money he had was his base salary for last year and the upcoming year.  When he got suspended, that guarentee for next year got voided.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 25, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

I would still take him. it's like back in 2006 FA when everyone didn't want Drew Brees because he had a serious injury to his throwing shoulder and wanted big money. The had a chance at him, but gave that big money to Culpepper instead.

It's not like Revis is Aqib Talib who is overrated. Revis has shown that he's an elite player, and that he's worth the risk. I would much rather give up big money to him than a Daunte Culpepper equivalent of CBs.

The only argument I like against it is that 3 above average corners will be very useful against modern day offenses.

You could pay 2 good CBs for the price that you would pay for Revis, and get to keep a draft pick, which you could also use on a corner.
« : January 25, 2013, 12:45:36 PM lyronmewis »

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 25, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »

Honestly I dont see them trying to trade him unless hes damaged goods. If hes healthy and all I dont see why they would trade him. In a division with the Patriots and they have the best corner in the game. They will try to keep him. I dont see him going anywhere unless they get something really good for him or he isnt healthy and the Jets are trying to get what they can for him now.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 25, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »

They'll trade him because....

1. He can't be franchised due to his contract and they can't afford to resign him, so they lose him after 2013 anyways. Instead of getting nothing, why not get some great draft picks for a team that has a lot of holes and a new GM?

2. He is a pain in the ars. He throws his coaches and teammates under the bus to the media, and he has held out once, threatened to hold out two other times. Who wants to deal that?

3. His injury makes him questionable. Will he be the same dominant player? Nobody can truly answer that. Who wants to give a HUGE contract to a guy when you aren't 100% sure he is still dominant? People thought Namdi Osomugragdsdgd was a sure fire stud and were willing to move heaven and Earth to get him....and we see how that went. Nothing is guaranteed and a serious knee injury makes it that much more risky. Once you sign the dotted line and guarantee him $35M....there are no do overs.

4. They know they need a new QB and can't afford one. By dumping Revis and getting someones 1st round pick, maybe more, they not only free up much needed cap room, but they set themselves up to draft a top tier QB and WR in the 1st round of this draft and the next. Having an extra 1st round pick, maybe more, is good ammunition to pull off a big time move up to the top of the 1st round.....but they'll probably be picking top 5 anyways next year.

My theory is that Rex is a dead man walking. The Jets will trade Revis and stick with Sanchez/Rex for one more year....so that they can pick top 5 next year and get a franchise QB along with a new coach. Look for the jets to get a future 1st round pick for Revis and then draft a WR in the 1st round this year so the QB they take next year will have someone to throw to. Next year they'll have two 1st round picks, at least one of them likely in the top 5. They can use those to move up to the 1st overall pick and take whatever QB they want..... probably Johnny Football. Then maybe they'll hire Gruden.
« : January 25, 2013, 01:52:27 PM JDouble »

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 25, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »

Good points Jdoub. All that said, Im not sure if the Bucs should get involved or not. I like Revis alot but I feel that he will cost more than the Bucs are willing to give and hes kind of a risk. Who knows how he will be after that injury.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #14 : January 25, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »

Another reason to pass....when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Old Grandparent logic is never wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It’s hard to see the Bucs – or any team –acquiring Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools