Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gil Brandt Gives Freeman A Horrendous Ranking « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : January 25, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »

The legendary player personnel man of the old Cowboys teams (1960 to 1988), Gil Brandt, still grinds away as a draft guru and player analyst for NFL.com, and he hosts an excellent show on SiriusXM NFL Radio. The man was on the cutting edge of scouting for years.

So it was very troubling yesterday when Brandt pumped out a written ranking and analysis of NFL quarterbacks under 30 years old. (Jay Cutler was not included because he turns 30 before the 2013 season).

Brandt stuck Josh Freeman at the bottom of his “C” level tier at No. 14, and if you consider all the NFL starters 30 years old or older, it’s clear that Brandt believes Freeman’s inconsistency and 24-32 career record as a Bucs starter can not be brushed off. Freeman even checks in below Alex Smith and Ryan Tannehill. The horror!

11) Alex Smith, 28, San Francisco 49ers

Smith was playing well in 2012 before a concussion sent him to the sideline, clearing the way for Kaepernick to take over. The comparatively older Smith is better than advertised as a player, but there are still question marks about him. Would he have been able to bring the Niners back from a 17-0 deficit in Atlanta last Sunday? Like I alluded to above, it’s highly questionable.

12) Ryan Tannehill, 24, Miami Dolphins

Tannehill has the size, arm strength and athletic ability to eventually jump into Group B. It will help if the Dolphins can surround him with a more talented cast. He’ll also benefit — more than any other player in Group C — from having a year of experience under his belt.

13) Andy Dalton, 25, Cincinnati Bengals

Dalton is a very solid, hard-working player who most likely won’t win much on his own. He did take Cincinnati to the playoffs his first two seasons in the league, but he seems to need the help of an outstanding supporting cast to get anywhere.

14) Josh Freeman, 25, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After a great 2010 and an awful 2011, Freeman was inconsistent in 2012. He did lose weight last offseason, and it seemed to give him a boost in the early going … before he fell back late. He possesses everything needed to do the job; why does he run so hot and cold?

Here’s the full list:

Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco
    Colin Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson
    Cam Newton
    Robert Griffin III
    Matthew Stafford
    Sam Bradford
    Alex Smith
    Ryan Tannehill
    Andy Dalton
    Josh Freeman
    Jake Locker
    Christian Ponder
    Blaine Gabbert
    Brandon Weeden
    Matt Flynn

Joe doesn’t agree with the list. Joe would have a seizure if the Bucs traded Freeman for Alex Smith or Ryan Tannehill.

However, Brandt’s evaluation does make Joe wonder what other NFL personnel types think of Freeman and how that might factor into any future Freeman-Bucs contract talks. Regardless, Freeman truly is in a make-or-break year. He’s run out of excuses.http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=82339
« : January 25, 2013, 02:43:45 PM Morgan »

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 25, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

Brandt prefers QBs that are very consistant game managers and field generals (aka LEADERS) over strong armed kids lacking in those areas. Cowboy QBs thru the years reflect that...

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 25, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

Surprised Matt Flynn is at the bottom. Is he that bad, or did Brandt just not see anything in him d/t no playing time. I'd be interested in having him here as a backup and competition for Freeman.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 25, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »

I don't see how you can reasonably make the case for Ryan over Flacco. Eight playoff wins to one and Flacco has been strong in four straight playoff games.

In Verner We Trust

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 25, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

Alex Smith

If Freeman was on the 49ers they'd barely lose a game.

You can brush off the 24-32 by acknowledging...
A. In 2011 they were #30 in defense
B. In 2012 they were #29 in defense
C. In 9 of the 32 losses the defense blew late 4th qtr leads
D. Team is 0-8 without him.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 25, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »

Prior to meeting Jim Harbaugh, Alex Smith's career record as a starter was 19-31.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 25, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »

I don't see how you can reasonably make the case for Ryan over Flacco. Eight playoff wins to one and Flacco has been strong in four straight playoff games.

Because Ryan trashes Flacco in the regular season.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 25, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

Playoffs is where its most important. If we made the playoffs next year and Freeman was just as inconsistent all season but did great in the playoffs, a lot of fans would change their tune to him because he won in the playoffs. Where it matters most.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 25, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

Alex Smith

Be careful, the freehaters are going to tar and feather you for deductive reasoning.

The team needs to have at least a middle of the road passing defense before Tampa desides to do away with freeman. I understand that he's inconsistant, but is that because he's being pushed into performing (because of the bad defense), or because he just sucks? I'd rather find out first.

Personally, I think he's the best QB the bucs have ever had and they'd be damn foolish to let him go.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 25, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »

I understand that he's inconsistant, but is that because he's being pushed into performing (because of the bad defense), or because he just sucks?

what does pushed into performing mean? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 25, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

I can see what he means. In those games we won they got ahead and stayed ahead. Freeman like most QBs will tend to play better with a lead. They can play smart and conservative. When your losing, you have to make throws to catch up. Freeman has been able to come back in some games but its not something that can happen all the time. I think when we were losing games and getting further away from a playoff spot the more Freeman had to be the one to make the wins happen. It wasnt coming from our defense thats for sure. Freeman had to be the man and win this team games. I think we know by now hes not good enough to put the team on his back and win games by himself. At least not yet.

I dont really expect him to with that bad defense but I can see how he would take on that role and try to. You gotta pull some stuff out your ass sometimes and make these wins happen. That can lead to more INTs and more playing outside the system. They said that when he has played within the coaching and system he has been good. When he has tried to force stuff and make things happen he hasnt been able to be good enough. I think we can all agree that Freeman is more on the "Game Manager" QB than he is Franchise or Elite guy. However I think he makes spurts of Elite and Franchise plays. Mostly when the team is playing well as a team and everybody is on the same page. Hes just not a guy who will go out there and be that guy consistently. If they go and improve the defense enough, I think Freeman can be good enough for what we need. We just need contribution from everybody. Like when we won games last year. He does need to build on his success last year and learn from the mistakes he made last year. I have confidence he can do it. 

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #11 : January 25, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »

I understand that he's inconsistant, but is that because he's being pushed into performing (because of the bad defense), or because he just sucks?

Not my quote, so I can't say for sure. I take it as meaning that Freeman feels like he has to put up yards and points because he doesn't trust the pass defense to protect any leads (i.e. NYG).  Therefore he still tries to force it and honestly doesn't have the accuracy or decision making to be successful at that. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 25, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

Not my quote, so I can't say for sure. I take it as meaning that Freeman feels like he has to put up yards and points because he doesn't trust the pass defense to protect any leads (i.e. NYG).  Therefore he still tries to force it and honestly doesn't have the accuracy or decision making to be successful at that.

How else do you win? If the whole team isnt good enough to beat that other team, some stuff out of the ordinary needs to happen. In this case Freeman going out there and making the plays to win games on his own. Not very easy to do when your defense is that bad. Well not easy unless your Brady or Brees. Hes not that so we got what he is. At least what he is right now. I think he can still improve. If Flacco can improve, why cant Freeman??

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 25, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

Alex Smith

So we're awful without him and only stink with him.  Sounds like a good reason to keep him.

The Niners have an awesome defense and an awesome O-Line.  What's easier to obtain... a great defense and offensive line, or a good QB?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 25, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

The Bucs need to give up on the Freeman experiment.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gil Brandt Gives Freeman A Horrendous Ranking « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools