Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CB Sean Smith is likely to reach free agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#15 : January 26, 2013, 08:08:49 AM

I'm def warming up to Mr. Smith.  If we gave Wright $7.1 I believe Dom can handle Smith's demands.  Less risk and less financial burden than Revis Island. 

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 26, 2013, 08:37:57 AM

I'd like to try and restructure Eric Wright and pick up Sean Smith and grab that Florida st CB to play FS. That would be a dream.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Boing333

Practice Squad
#17 : January 26, 2013, 09:09:43 AM

Has anyone actually seen Smith play? At most right now he is a good number 2 starter. He is wildly inconsistent and has not lived up to his "potential" yet.  For the right money I could see it, but there is a reason a team with all the money in the world would let him walk.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#18 : January 26, 2013, 09:35:13 AM

Has anyone actually seen Smith play? At most right now he is a good number 2 starter. He is wildly inconsistent and has not lived up to his "potential" yet.  For the right money I could see it, but there is a reason a team with all the money in the world would let him walk.

I understand what you are saying but would you rather have Biggers/Gorrer starting or Sean Smith?   

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 26, 2013, 09:45:11 AM

Give him Eric Wright's money. Grab a 2nd tier CB. Draft a CB in round 1 or 2. Really, getting a solid CB in free agency allows you to move drafting a CB to round 2. Then you can really go best player available.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#20 : January 26, 2013, 10:21:23 AM

This is a valid concern, and I agree he has been inconsistent especially late in the season.  It's not like he's asking for Revis or even Finnegan money.  That's just market value for above average CB's this season.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#21 : January 26, 2013, 10:28:46 AM

I agree that he's a good player, not a game changer.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 26, 2013, 10:28:57 AM

This is a valid concern, and I agree he has been inconsistent especially late in the season.  It's not like he's asking for Revis or even Finnegan money.  That's just market value for above average CB's this season.

He's not a guy who's built to run with Patriots undersized WR, but he's perfect for guys like Julio Jones or Colston. I still think the Dolphins will franchise him, but we'll see. If not I definitely think the Bucs should pursue.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 26, 2013, 12:03:51 PM

He would be my #1 target in FA if he makes it there.   

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 26, 2013, 12:28:01 PM

Here's a little tidbit I loved to read.  I know a lot has changed since this game, but it still sounds good to me.  As far as I can tell, the two haven't faced each other in the NFL...yet.

"In the Sugar Bowl, Smith easily manhandled super freshman receiver Julio Jones of Alabama."

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/2/9/752764/scouting-report-sean-smith
Sean Smith held his own this past year against Fitz, Aj Green, and Andre Johnson. He tends to struggle against those smaller quick twitch WR's. Thankfully, a guy like Smith would be a perfect piece to put on Colston/Graham or Julio Jones.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 26, 2013, 12:36:59 PM

Here's a little tidbit I loved to read.  I know a lot has changed since this game, but it still sounds good to me.  As far as I can tell, the two haven't faced each other in the NFL...yet.

"In the Sugar Bowl, Smith easily manhandled super freshman receiver Julio Jones of Alabama."

Sean Smith held his own this past year against Fitz, Aj Green, and Andre Johnson. He tends to struggle against those smaller quick twitch WR's. Thankfully, a guy like Smith would be a perfect piece to put on Colston/Graham or Julio Jones.

Agreed, Trufant could be the guy who would cover the smaller quick twitch WRs..   He looked very quick and instinctual during the Senior Bowl practices

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 26, 2013, 12:58:02 PM

Agreed, Trufant could be the guy who would cover the smaller quick twitch WRs..   He looked very quick and instinctual during the Senior Bowl practices
Precisely. I would trade back though and then take him, or possibly trade up into the first to snag him a la Martin.

HolyBuc

Starter
#27 : January 26, 2013, 01:17:30 PM

If my choices are Wright or Smith give me Smith.  Same money...do it Dom...Do it!!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 26, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Give him Wright's contract. Done.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 26, 2013, 01:49:09 PM

60 million for one 43 million for another.... I don't know man these guys are asking teams to tie up a whole lotta money. It seems like the draft is a better option, or maybe lower level FAs??

No. Going the cheap route is not going to be productive. We've seen that too many times as buc fans.

People didn't like how much vj got in his contract, now they're glad to have him. Same with Penn, Barth, koenen,and even nicks to some extent. And all this talk about money is silly. Dom will restructure revis or smith the same way they did with nicks and vj. Money as bonus, and up-front, so they have less cap penalty. So when people say, "revis will cost X amount, it's actually going to count quite a few million less than they think. The hefty part of their contract will be the first portion as well, so later the cap won't have problems. Most players would take that in a heartbeat.

You get what you pay for, and dom and schiano thought they could spend nothing on cb's and make it work. Hopefully that was a hard lesson learned. Plus, with revis anyway, he would put some extra butts in seats. That should be taken into account as well.
: January 26, 2013, 01:52:53 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CB Sean Smith is likely to reach free agency « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools