Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alex Smith is not coming to the Bucs. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 31, 2013, 12:29:45 AM

Three Super Bowl thoughts that popped into Tom Jones' head

By Tom Jones, Times Sports Columnist
 In Print: Thursday, January 31, 2013

[Associated Press]

Repeat after Tom Jones: Alex Smith is not coming to the Bucs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Is there anyone left who still likes Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, other than Ravens fans, that is? This isn't about the whole stabbing incident with his entourage in 2000, and it isn't even about the bizarre accusation that he took deer antler spray to overcome injury. (Okay, so maybe it is a little bit about that double homicide.) But I think fans have simply overdosed on Lewis. He cries. He preaches. He self-promotes. He seems aware whenever the camera is on him. And when it's not on him, he makes sure it gets on him. Even Saturday Night Live is spoofing him. In the one week when all fans should be celebrating his spectacular career, Lewis' reputation and popularity are somehow getting worse. As charismatic as he is, you wonder if networks are having second thoughts about adding Lewis to their NFL coverage.

2. If I hear one more person suggest the Bucs go out and get 49ers starter-turned-backup quarterback Alex Smith to give Josh Freeman some competition, I'm going to go all WWE on them. Get this straight: Smith already is backing up someone, and he hates it. There's no way he is interested in coming to Tampa Bay and getting into a competition with Freeman. Smith wants to go somewhere where he is the clear No. 1 such as Arizona or Jacksonville. The Bucs might very well bring in someone to put some heat on Freeman, but it's not going to be Smith.

3. I don't know where commissioner Roger Goodell will get a colder reception: next season at Super Bowl XLVIII in New Jersey, when it might be 20 degrees, or Sunday in New Orleans in the wake of Bounty-gate. To which I say, get over it, Saints fans. Your guys put out bounties. Blame them, not the commissioner.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 31, 2013, 12:42:07 AM

Tebow will probably be playing for the jags. I say the best chance Alex has is with AZ.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 31, 2013, 01:27:32 AM

Tebow will probably be playing for the jags. I say the best chance Alex has is with AZ.

Jags are sayin they are not interested in the T-man.   I think Smith might go to the Jets, I think they have had enough of Sanchez.  Or at least let them battle it out in training camp.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

cflabucsfan

Rookie

#3 : January 31, 2013, 03:04:12 AM

Jags are sayin they are not interested in the T-man.   I think Smith might go to the Jets, I think they have had enough of Sanchez.  Or at least let them battle it out in training camp.

I heard on Mike & Mike the other day that KC could be a landing spot for Alex Smith. Andy Reid is good with QBs, and AS is a proven and experienced vet. The they could use the #1 on another need.

DonkeyHunter

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 31, 2013, 03:38:13 AM

Tebow will be lucky to have a job in the NFL next season. And I think Smith ends up in K.C. I don't see them taking Geno at #1 overall.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 31, 2013, 07:45:40 AM

Tebow will be lucky to have a job in the NFL next season. And I think Smith ends up in K.C. I don't see them taking Geno at #1 overall.

He wouldn't be lucky. Love'em or hate'em that man sells tickets.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 31, 2013, 08:52:09 AM

Glad to hear this, I want NOTHING to do with Alex Smith....its amazing how having 1 decent year makes most forget about all the crappy years he had prior.  He is a QB who leans on his team to win, so anyone picking him up expecting him to be the answer will be sadly mistaken.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 31, 2013, 09:03:52 AM

If he gets released Smith ends up in Arizona who send Kolb to KC for a reunion with fat Andy.

There's no way the Niners trade Smith to a division rival that is just a QB away so if they can find a trade partner I just get some odd feeling the Titans make a play for him.
There's nothing pointing to that but it's just one of those out of left field moves we always seem to see each offseason which nobody expects but makes sense when you think about it when it's done.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 31, 2013, 11:17:02 AM

The Jags would be dumb (again) for passing up on the guy. Unless they can somehow bring in rivers, or draft Barkley or Smith, their best option would be to cater to all those tebow fans out there.

It's not like there are many great options out there anyhow, and their QB's always suck anyway. Why not fill the stands at least?

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 31, 2013, 11:23:18 AM

Good, because I don't want them to bring a QB in that's better than Freeman.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 31, 2013, 11:25:53 AM

Good, because I don't want them to bring a QB in that's better worse than Freeman.

Sorry, Smith without the 49ers is like J-Lo without a booty.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 31, 2013, 11:30:19 AM

Good, because I don't want them to bring a QB in that's better worse than Freeman.

Sorry, Smith without the 49ers is like J-Lo without a booty.

J-Lo with an average booty is still hot.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 31, 2013, 02:59:26 PM

Good, because I don't want them to bring a QB in that's better than Freeman.

Disagree.  Freeman has his probs, but Alex Smith?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alex Smith is not coming to the Bucs. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools