Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every Possible Buccaneers' 1st Round Strategy « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#60 : January 29, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Valid.  Not everyone agrees of future production.  I just don't think that the general scope, being - drafting a WR, should be completely ignored and written off.
Yeah, let me be clear.  My argument is not "drafting a first round wide receiver would be stupid given who we have on the team".  I'm just unconvinced that the guys who will be available at #13 will be head and shoulders above other guys who will be there.  I tend to ascibe to the tier theory of ranking draft prospects (where you lump guys into tiers rather than having a strict "this guy is #1, this guy is #2, this guy is #3, etc), and I think there will be guys there on the highest available tier who will be guys I'd rather have.  It is, of course, still a goodly while until April.  There's still plenty of time for things to get shaken up a bit.

Philosophically, I'm with ya.  I'm just a big fan of Keenan Allen.  I think that kid is gonna be real good.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#61 : January 29, 2013, 02:54:33 PM

Philosophically, I'm with ya.  I'm just a big fan of Keenan Allen.  I think that kid is gonna be real good.
That's fair.  Personally, I'm kind of hoping that a couple of quarterbacks wind up going stupidly high, even though it's a weak class for them.  I don't know that I really have a specific guy that's jumping out at me as a guy I really want to see the team looking at.  Rather I'm just hoping that someone who is a really nice value slips to the team.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#62 : January 30, 2013, 09:58:46 AM

I fail to see having three very good WRs as being a luxury scenario. 

are there any teams in the league that utilize 3 very good WR's?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#63 : January 30, 2013, 10:25:59 AM

Green Bay.  The Giants before Manningham's departure.  New Orleans before Meachum's departure.

It's hard to acquire three very good WR's.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#64 : January 30, 2013, 10:29:58 AM

Green Bay.  The Giants before Manningham's departure.  New Orleans before Meachum's departure.

With those 3 teams, you also enter into the realm of having a QB with the ability to go through reads and successfully spread the ball around the field...they all have some hardware as well.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#65 : January 30, 2013, 10:36:31 AM

With those 3 teams, you also enter into the realm of having a QB with the ability to go through reads and successfully spread the ball around the field...they all have some hardware as well.

I was wondering if Gametime would catch on to the part in bold.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#66 : January 30, 2013, 11:28:47 AM

woah - we are calling manningham and meachem "very good"?  meachem had 14 catches this season.  manningham didnt even put up the numbers that underwood did.  i will give you GB...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#67 : January 30, 2013, 11:41:02 AM

woah - we are calling manningham and meachem "very good"?  meachem had 14 catches this season.  manningham didnt even put up the numbers that underwood did.  i will give you GB...

In Manningham and Meachem's five year careers, they each are at/close to 2500+ yards and 20+ TD's.  Underwood could only dream of that type of production.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#68 : January 30, 2013, 11:44:29 AM

In Manningham and Meachem's five year careers, they each are at/close to 2500+ yards and 20+ TD's.  Underwood could only dream of that type of production.

and i just realized i gave underwood about 10 extra catches this year.  so no, he did not have the season of manningham, my bad.  but i really dont think that manningham/meachem are really good either.  they are products of their QB and their system imo.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#69 : January 30, 2013, 11:50:12 AM

First off, to call any rookie before he plays a game "very good" is a bit ridicuouls.  To say you think he will eventually be very good is something else.  After his rookie season, we'll at least have a guage.  At that point, he might be the 2nd best receiver on the team (personally I think he will be), and make Williams a good trade chip.  Allen's 2nd season, he might be our best receiver... at which time, if Williams were retained, you could trade, Jackson who would have 2 years left on his deal and a team might be willing to part with a good draft pick.

Secondly, a lot of teams have competent 3rd WR's... Atlanta (Douglas),  Baltimore (J. Jones), Denver (Stokley), Detroit (Young), Green Bay (Jones), Indy (Hilton or Avery - take your pick), Jacksonville (Shorts), KC (Breaston / McCluster), New England (Branch), New Orleans (Moore / Henderson - take your pick), Philly (Avant), San Diego (Meachum),  Washington (Moss).  This is just the guys that are more proven... there are a bunch of teams that had rookies or 2nd year players that they expect to be productive players.  Underwood is our 3rd best WR and if Schiano wasn't our head coach, he probably wouldn't be playing in the NFL.

All I'm saying is that this team needs another WR... I don't think that's even debateable.  Now, I absolutely think getting one in the 2nd or 3rd round are viable options.  All I'm saying is that if Milner is gone (which I think he will be), I think Allen should be in the discussion.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#70 : January 30, 2013, 11:58:05 AM

You could make a case that either Benn or Underwood are just as good as any of the guys you named. If Benn gets injured again then we got to think about getting a serious Slot WR but remember we drafted Benn in the 2nd year and I don't think they will give up on him yet.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#71 : January 30, 2013, 12:09:27 PM

Secondly, a lot of teams have competent 3rd WR's... Atlanta (Douglas),  Baltimore (J. Jones), Denver (Stokley), Detroit (Young), Green Bay (Jones), Indy (Hilton or Avery - take your pick), Jacksonville (Shorts), KC (Breaston / McCluster), New England (Branch), New Orleans (Moore / Henderson - take your pick), Philly (Avant), San Diego (Meachum),  Washington (Moss). 

i wonder how douglas, jacoby jones  and devery henderson are any different than underwood except that they play on different teams.  shorts&moore are #2's.  deion branch?  didnt seattle prove that he's only around because of tom brady?  wasnt breaston a product of kurt warner?  he did have 1 nice year as KC's #2 opposite bowe.  titus young competent? 

i will give you stokley, moss, or avant is you want a maxed out vet.

if there's a WR that is BPA, ive got no problem taking him.  i do question the thought process that our offense is missing a playmaker to catch the ball.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#72 : January 30, 2013, 12:56:07 PM

You could make a case that either Benn or Underwood are just as good as any of the guys you named. If Benn gets injured again then we got to think about getting a serious Slot WR but remember we drafted Benn in the 2nd year and I don't think they will give up on him yet.

I don't think you can.  If Schiano wasn't the head coach of the Bucs, Underwood would still be unemployed.  Benn, I think won't be on the roster in September.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#73 : January 30, 2013, 01:09:35 PM

Secondly, a lot of teams have competent 3rd WR's... Atlanta (Douglas),  Baltimore (J. Jones), Denver (Stokley), Detroit (Young), Green Bay (Jones), Indy (Hilton or Avery - take your pick), Jacksonville (Shorts), KC (Breaston / McCluster), New England (Branch), New Orleans (Moore / Henderson - take your pick), Philly (Avant), San Diego (Meachum),  Washington (Moss). 

i wonder how douglas, jacoby jones  and devery henderson are any different than underwood except that they play on different teams.  shorts&moore are #2's.  deion branch?  didnt seattle prove that he's only around because of tom brady?  wasnt breaston a product of kurt warner?  he did have 1 nice year as KC's #2 opposite bowe.  titus young competent? 

i will give you stokley, moss, or avant is you want a maxed out vet.

if there's a WR that is BPA, ive got no problem taking him.  i do question the thought process that our offense is missing a playmaker to catch the ball.

Douglas, Jones, and Henderson are different because they didn't get cut by 3 teams... one of them twice.  Neither needed their college coach to get them a job.

According to depth chart on the Saints website, Moore is the 3rd WR with Henderson and Colston starting and Moore is the #3.  I said pick one because to me, Moore and Henderson are the #2 & #3... whichever is which is up to you, either way, both are more competent/trust worthy receivers than Underwood.  The Jags didn't have their depth chart up, ESPN had Shorts as the #3.

Seattle wanted Branch to be their #1, he proved that he wasn't, but he's at least a legit #3.

No, Breaston was not a product of Warner.  The one year that he put up was, but the fact that he's a legit #3 receiving option is based on him being able to do the job.  The 3 years after that big season he had 700 yards receiving each year... only 1 of those was with Warner.  This year, he was banged up and I think he just got tired of the situation.  I think everyone there did.

Titus Young is a dope, I won't debate that at all with you.  That said, he can play.  Talent-wise, there's not a single GM who given the choice, would take Underwood or Benn over Young.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every Possible Buccaneers' 1st Round Strategy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools