Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I can't see why anyone would say he's not worthy of the Pro Bowl" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« : January 27, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' McCoy finally realizing talents

By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: January 27, 2013

TAMPA --

Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera remembers the play as if it happened yesterday. Running back DeAngelo Williams was supposed to follow the lead of pulling right guard Geoff Hangartner.

But it never came off that way.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy ruined it.

At the snap, McCoy broke through the line in what Rivera described as the blink of an eye, hitting Hangartner and forcing Williams to take an alternate path that led him into the arms of linebacker Mason Foster, who dropped Williams for a 2-yard loss.

If you're among those wondering how in the world McCoy, who didn't even lead Bucs defensive linemen in tackles or sacks, was selected to start today's Pro Bowl, it's because of plays like that.

Though he received no statistical credit, McCoy made that play and many others just like during what his rivals say was an all-star caliber season.

"That's why I say, 'Liars figure and figures lie,' '' Rivera said. "It's not about the stats you put up. It's about the impact you make on plays. And his peers know that.

"Gerald McCoy may not make all the plays. But when you're taking up two or sometimes even three guys on a play, you're affecting the game. You're impacting the game, and that's what he does.''

McCoy's first two NFL seasons ended early with torn biceps injuries, prompting debate about his impact as the No. 3 overall draft pick in 2010. In 2012, McCoy played his first complete season.

Though he was not among the leading vote-getters in the fan portion of the Pro Bowl voting process, rival players and coaches voted McCoy onto the NFC squad with defensive tackles Henry Melton of Chicago and Justin Smith of San Francisco.

Falcons coach Mike Smith, who like Rivera has the chore of game-planning twice a year for McCoy, has a nickname for players who consistently impact plays: Game Wreckers. Smith used the term repeatedly in talking about McCoy during a break in Senior Bowl workouts last week in Mobile, Ala.

"He's the type of defensive tackle you would definitely call a game-wrecker, and as such he's the type you have to make sure you have a specific game plan for,'' Smith said. "He's just so good at disrupting your plays. We have a number of them on film, both against the run and against the pass.

"He just creates so many issues for you, whether it's forcing a back to start and stop and redirect or affecting the quarterback. What he does is slow everything down and disrupt things so that the linebackers and the other second-level players can come in and finish off the plays.

"That's why, at the defensive tackle position, you can't look at stats.''

So many do, though, which is why McCoy is seen by many as something other than an all star. He had only 30 tackles and five sacks in 2012, both of which ranked third among Bucs defensive linemen.

Teammates and rivals, though, rattle off play after play in which McCoy made a tackle for loss, a sack or even an interception possible without receiving statistical credit for his impact.

In Tampa Bay's season-opening victory against Carolina, McCoy ran Panthers quarterback Cam Newton out of bounds for a 2-yard sack that was eventually credited to safety Ronde Barber.

During a victory at Oakland, McCoy broke through the line and pressured Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer into an off-balance throw that was intercepted by rookie cornerback Leonard Johnson.

At a critical juncture in the victory against San Diego, McCoy pressured Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers into an unconscionable throw along the sideline that resulted in yet another Johnson pick.

"What people don't get is – pressure-pick, coverage-sack,'' said Tim Ryan, a former Bears defensive tackle who hosts the Sirius XM Radio show "Moving the Chains'' and is a Fox Sports analyst.

"The defensive line and the secondary work together, and you can include the linebackers in the coverage," Ryan said. "And if the pressure is there, you get the picks. If the coverage is there, you get the sacks.

"You have to link the two up, and you saw what the secondary looked like in Tampa this year and what Mason Foster was like in coverage down the middle. So, it was hard for Gerald to get the big production numbers.''

McCoy might not have had outstanding numbers, but the Bucs did. They led the league in rush defense by allowing just 82.5 yards per game and in tackles for loss with 95. McCoy had only five tackles for loss, though, and admitted to being a little frustrated with his tackle and sack numbers.

"It can get a little nerve wracking, but you just have to kind of focus on the positives,'' said McCoy, who will be joined in Hawaii today by two teammates – veteran receiver Vincent Jackson and rookie running back Doug Martin – who made the NFC squad as first alternates.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it seems everybody is looking for a certain number, but as long as (Bucs) coach (Greg) Schiano comes to me and says. 'You're doing what we need,' I'm good.''

Former Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo sees McCoy as a perfect fit in Tampa Bay's defense.

"I can't see why anyone would say he's not worthy of the Pro Bowl,'' Spagnuolo said. "He's always making an impact. Talent-wise, I think the world of him. You won't hear me say a bad word about him. He's a heck of a player.''

Ryan once thought McCoy was too tall to make an impact, but has changed his mind.

"I think he's better than (Detroit Lions tackle) Ndamukong Suh, because he's a little more fundamentally sound,'' Ryan said. "Suh had those big (ends) on either side of him. McCoy didn't, and I still think McCoy had a better year than Suh.''

Suh and McCoy will forever be compared because they were drafted second and third overall in 2010. Suh made the Pro Bowl this season, too, but as an alternate in place of Smith.

"The truth of the matter is, when you look at the tape you say to yourself, 'We have to have an answer for him,' " Rivera said of McCoy. "And when you start having to have answer for players, that's when you know you have a good player. That's when you know you have a Pro Bowler.''

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 27, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

McCoy is top 5 in the league at his position.  Certainly sucks that he missed time to injuries but he is earning his check when he's on the field.

What position is that, tweeter?

LOL

...and BTW:
If McCoy is ranked highly in pass rushing stats at his position , it's speaks more to the complete irrelevance of the position in the pass rush , more so than of the dominance of McCoy. It also shows why you should never draft a DT 3rd overall unless you are convinced he is the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp.

We are 29th in the league in QB sacks , and QB's have all day to pass against us every game.  12 QB hits on the entire season is not impressive for a guy who is supposed to be a game changer .The 45 million dollar man ain't gettin it done. The fact that the league contains no other dominant D-tackles right now doesn't excuse Girly Man .  He is not a difference maker out there. End of story.

Wasted pick.

Not if you are Girly Man. He produces nothing and people still defend him...

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 27, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »

I like the comparison of Suh to McCoy made by Ryan and that Suh is an alternate.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 27, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »

Biggs is bending over again....All aboard the butthurt express !!

You've been riding first class on my Butt Hurt Express for months now.  You know just how I like it, Sweetie.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 27, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

"That's why I say, 'Liars figure and figures lie,' '' Rivera said. "It's not about the stats you put up. It's about the impact you make on plays.

I wish a few more people grasped this simple concept.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 27, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »

There's not many positions where stats are the best indicator of performance.

I think that RB is probably the only one.

QB, WR, and DE come close.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #6 : January 27, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

I think he would've had even more sacks this year had we not called so many stunts.

Here's to more healthy years from him.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

« #7 : January 27, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »

Hahaha Delirious Jason. Dullard. Get'em Biggs!

The quest for .500 begins...

geetech84

Starter

« #8 : January 27, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »

He deserve the Pro Bowl he is the heart of are D.line..

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprise, if Dom and the head coach..will be looking how G. McCoy does, with some studs on the outside but more important,a stud next to him..

"i know some people don't think its a need, but a stud DT to play along  the side of McCoy to rush the passer is a must..along with. edge rusher too,if it's, a DE or LB "

I still believe..Everything starts up front..If those guys can get to the QB, or get any kind of pressure..It will make the defense, look a lot better..on the back end..

Yes we need CBs..but I believe we need a another stud DT ... and another DE or a LB that can rush passer too.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 27, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

"That's why I say, 'Liars figure and figures lie,' '' Rivera said. "It's not about the stats you put up. It's about the impact you make on plays.

Someone should tell this to the Josh Freeman apologists.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 27, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »

He deserve the Pro Bowl he is the heart of are D.line..

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprise, if Dom and the head coach..will be looking how G. McCoy does, with some studs on the outside but more important,a stud next to him..

"i know some people don't think its a need, but a stud DT to play along  the side of McCoy to rush the passer is a must..along with. edge rusher too,if it's, a DE or LB "

I still believe..Everything starts up front..If those guys can get to the QB, or get any kind of pressure..It will make the defense, look a lot better..on the back end..

Yes we need CBs..but I believe we need a another stud DT ... and another DE or a LB that can rush passer too.

A stud DT to take away the double-teams on McCoy would be great. It has to allow somebody an easier shot on the QB. Better coverage by the DBs gives s the front seven time to get there. I like BAP over reaching for need. Hopefully we do well in free agency so need is less of a priority. The value has to match the pick.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 27, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »

Someone should tell this to the Josh Freeman apologists.

That's funny coming from you in your comparisons to Mark Sanchez. And Tim Tebow would be the second coming of who?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 27, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »

"I can't see why anyone would say he's not worthy of the Pro Bowl"

Did none of you catch on to this being a backhanded compliment? Who is it that's saying he's not Pro Bowl worthy?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 27, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »

That is a reach

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 27, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »

No, this is a reach:

SunnyD:
"Blount is the best RB in the NFL, bar none."
http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1298025.msg1743000.html#msg1743000

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I can't see why anyone would say he's not worthy of the Pro Bowl" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools