Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#75 : January 28, 2013, 04:02:07 PM

Sabby was 10x the athlete Grimm was, and Grimm was 10x the safety Sabby was. Perfect example. Every player needs to be a great athlete, but being above the NFL average with freakish athleticism doesn't mean squat if it's not accompanied by the intelligence, focus, and work ethic to make use of it.
Grimm was a good athlete and comparable to many starting safeties.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#76 : January 28, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

Sabby was 10x the athlete Grimm was,

this is completely incorrect.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#77 : January 28, 2013, 05:42:06 PM

Sabby was 10x the athlete Grimm was, and Grimm was 10x the safety Sabby was. Perfect example. Every player needs to be a great athlete, but being above the NFL average with freakish athleticism doesn't mean squat if it's not accompanied by the intelligence, focus, and work ethic to make use of it.

And where is Grimm now????

Loved his heart and smarts but he was a boy amongst men....

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#78 : January 28, 2013, 05:52:50 PM

Gaitor made big plays on 3rd down in every game since he was back from IR. That is what we need. We need to get off the field.

1. Gaitor stays and will become our slot CB.
2. Johnson stays and gets a shot at being our 2nd CB.
3. We draft a CB in the 1st and try to sign a 2nd CB but don't overpay for one
4. We do like Johnson and we do like Gorrer. I think we also see something in Lewis, Lequan that is, so I don't know that we sell out on getting another 3-4 new CBs. We try to get a #1 out of the draft or FA and I don't think we do a lot more than that.

Remember that the last 2 games in particular our secondary played very well. We saw Barron step it up in the pass game. We saw our CB, Johnson in particular, start to identify the ball and make plays on it and we saw an improvement with Anthony Gaitor.

I think we make a push for a nice start CB and FS and I don't think we make to many more splashes than that.

Personally I think Johnson and Gaitor have potential but the others are pretty limited. I'd have no problem if there was one top-end CB signing in free agency + an investment of an early pick for CB (I think Bucs will draft D-Line 1st BTW)...plug in the name of your favorite prospects and let the best men win.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#79 : January 28, 2013, 06:06:28 PM

He got hurt and will never be the same again but when he was healthy he was legitimately good.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#80 : January 28, 2013, 06:43:57 PM

He was injured twice. So far it doesn't look like he's going to come back from it. He was a beast as a rookie when he was healthy. Boy amongst men my ass.

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#81 : January 28, 2013, 06:55:17 PM

I would add instincts to the list.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#82 : January 28, 2013, 07:54:11 PM

Good....but that was his ceiling....

Good teams are 7-9 to 9-7

I'd like to be better than good....

richbucsfan

Starter

#83 : January 28, 2013, 08:04:54 PM

no

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#84 : January 28, 2013, 08:07:47 PM

Good....but that was his ceiling....

There are only a handful of safeties in the NFL significantly more athletic than Grimm. It's not a position where elite athletes play. We just used a top 10 draft pick on a safety who ran the exact same 40 as Grimm.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#85 : January 28, 2013, 11:03:31 PM

I think Grimm is a much better athlete than he was given credit for, but that's not quite right FRG.

For one thing, Barron didn't participate in the combine (he was coming off hernia surgery). But at his pro-day he ran a 4.56 carrying an extra 10 pounds. Grimm ran a about 1/10 of a second slower than that at the combine.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#86 : January 28, 2013, 11:06:47 PM

40 times determine how good a safety is? Right back to square one....smh

Draft Aaron Donald

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#87 : January 29, 2013, 05:51:56 AM

Right on

Turn the page.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#88 : January 29, 2013, 08:29:22 AM

I think Grimm is a much better athlete than he was given credit for, but that's not quite right FRG.

For one thing, Barron didn't participate in the combine (he was coming off hernia surgery). But at his pro-day he ran a 4.56 carrying an extra 10 pounds. Grimm ran a about 1/10 of a second slower than that at the combine.
1/100 not 1/10 slower.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#89 : January 29, 2013, 10:14:56 AM

Grimm ran 4.64 at the combine.

And JD, you aren't paying attention - we are simply comparing Grimm and Barron's speed, not how they play safety, and both of us are arguing that Grimm is a good athlete.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools