Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#60 : January 28, 2013, 09:55:47 AM

I like Gaitor too. Like I said, get in camp and let em have an honest competition.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#61 : January 28, 2013, 11:56:05 AM

In college guys can make plays based on speed, strength, etc... Guys like Ahmad Black, Gaitor, Johnson who didn't have elite speed, strength, agility but still made plays are very intriguing to me because that usually means they understood the game better, anticipated things well, reacted quicker. I'll take a team full of smart players with a few freak athletes sprinkled in.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#62 : January 28, 2013, 02:27:28 PM

In college guys can make plays based on speed, strength, etc... Guys like Ahmad Black, Gaitor, Johnson who didn't have elite speed, strength, agility but still made plays are very intriguing to me because that usually means they understood the game better, anticipated things well, reacted quicker. I'll take a team full of smart players with a few freak athletes sprinkled in.

It's good in theory, but there is a reason the guys you rattled off we 5th round- UDFA's. God given talent and athletic ability. I love those guys too, easy to route for, and football intellect shouldn't be ignored. Buttttttt....at the end of the day no matter how smart a guy is, if he can't run a 4.4 he can't cover Mile Wallace. If he can't jump 40 inches he will lose out on jump balls to Calvin Johnson, and if He only weighs 175 lbs he is going to get run over by Steven Jackson.

Heart and football smarts will get you only but so far.
: January 28, 2013, 02:37:55 PM CaptainStagger

acacius

Hall of Famer

#63 : January 28, 2013, 02:33:47 PM

I do think he has a place on the team, but I would prefer to see the team work on the assumption that the answer is "no" and plan thusly.  If he comes on strong and develops into a major contributor, so much the better.  Having too much talent at cornerback would be a pretty ok problem to have.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#64 : January 28, 2013, 02:40:07 PM

This is where the concept of "team" comes into play. A good D or O doesn't have to bulldoze every opponent to win. Anticipating plays, pass routes, disguising coverages, and on offense reading defenses and using fakes and mis-directions all can be just as effective in winning games as superior speed or strength. And proper technique is crucial.
Ronde, at 184, has managed to tackle bigger opponents for how many years? And remember his pick 6 vs McNabb? McNabb was bigger, stronger, and probably faster than Ronde, but came up a loser in perhaps his biggest game...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#65 : January 28, 2013, 03:32:14 PM

+1

All NFL teams are full of great athletes. It comes down to who can execute the game plan better. Who can work together flawlessly and execute plays precisely. That is all about smarts.

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#66 : January 28, 2013, 03:34:50 PM

+1

All NFL teams are full of great athletes. It comes down to who can execute the game plan better. Who can work together flawlessly and execute plays precisely. That is all about smarts.
And most teams have players who are better athletes than Black, Gaitor, and Johnson.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#67 : January 28, 2013, 03:35:40 PM

This is where the concept of "team" comes into play. A good D or O doesn't have to bulldoze every opponent to win. Anticipating plays, pass routes, disguising coverages, and on offense reading defenses and using fakes and mis-directions all can be just as effective in winning games as superior speed or strength. And proper technique is crucial.
Ronde, at 184, has managed to tackle bigger opponents for how many years? And remember his pick 6 vs McNabb? McNabb was bigger, stronger, and probably faster than Ronde, but came up a loser in perhaps his biggest game...

Thank you!  My thoughts EXACTLY.
We don't know if this is the beginning of a long, productive career or the beginning of the end for Johnson.
Hoping for the former and not the latter.

Turn the page.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#68 : January 28, 2013, 03:37:00 PM

+1

And most teams have players who are better athletes than Black, Gaitor, and Johnson.

Like Sabby?

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#69 : January 28, 2013, 03:39:13 PM

+1

Like Sabby?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#70 : January 28, 2013, 03:40:21 PM

McNabb is bigger than Champ Bailey, Darrelle Revis, Nnamdi Asomugha, and every other elite athlete of a CB to ever play. You make no sense.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#71 : January 28, 2013, 03:44:44 PM

The physical makeup is important but I think its overrated. Dont get me wrong I think its great to have those guys on your team but they need to have some football smarts or they wont make it very long. Look at Hayes and Lavonte David. Both undersized guys but David is instinctive and a smart player while Hayes was just fast and had no instincts or tackling ability. Shawn Merriman was a beast for a few years but then when his steroids issue took place he lost that edge. He no longer could rely on that part and had to use instincts and football IQ and it wasnt working like it once was. I agree with the above. Give me football players with some freaks mixed in. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#72 : January 28, 2013, 03:46:46 PM

Sabby was 10x the athlete Grimm was, and Grimm was 10x the safety Sabby was. Perfect example. Every player needs to be a great athlete, but being above the NFL average with freakish athleticism doesn't mean squat if it's not accompanied by the intelligence, focus, and work ethic to make use of it.

Draft Aaron Donald

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#73 : January 28, 2013, 03:54:20 PM

You guys act like it's either or - there are a lot of freaks in this league who can play. Some examples from the All-Pro team:

Adrian Peterson
Brandon Marshall
Calvin Johnson
Tony Gonzalez
Ryan Clady
Mike Iupati
JJ Watt
Cameron Wake
Vince Wilfork
Von Miller
Aldon Smith
Patrick Willis
Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas

acacius

Hall of Famer

#74 : January 28, 2013, 03:57:13 PM

You guys act like it's either or
Pretty much.  I mean, give me Michael Bennett over Vernon Gholston any day of the week.  But I'd take a young Dwight Freeney over either of them.  (Duh, I know.)
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools