Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Pittman Interview « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 28, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »

Michael Pittman Interview

Conor Philpott - 12:46 26 Jan 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Pittman is a veteran of the game, having spent ten seasons in the league. He had over 5,000 yards over his career during which he spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and the Arizona Cardinals. He won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002, and after a rocky first season with the team, he ended up rushing for over 120 yards on 30 carries. His 5 year stint with the Buccaneers led to him being named their running back of the 2000s. We would also like to congratulate Michael on finishing his degree at the University of Phoenix.

How nervous were you before the Super Bowl? Did you believe you would produce the goods come the big game? (as you did in the Super Bowl)

I was really nervous before the game. I believe my whole team/coaches were also. The whole world was watching, and it’s the biggest sporting even in the world. You can’t help but to get nervous you know. I believed I was going have a good game. The 2002 year started off rough for me. I suffered a high ankle sprain that slowed me down and lasted all year long.. But once the Superbowl game rolled around, I wasn’t going to let nothing stop me, it was a once a lifetime opportunity, so I gave my all and we pulled off a victory.

What was your typical week weight lifting regiment as a player? What were your preferred exercises? Would there be a massive difference between the fitness work you did then and now?

We workout Monday through Friday as a team. I really like working on my legs and shoulders. Those are the two most valuable parts of the body for a professional running back in my opinion. There wasn’t a huge difference from how I workout in the off season compared to in season training. We had some good strength trainers and they knew what they were doing.

What would you have said your best skills was as a running back? Would there have been any department you would liked to have been better at?

My best skill as a running back was my ability to catch the ball out of the backfield along with my route running. And there’s always room to improve your skills.

You played with some great running backs and full backs, like Mike Alstott and Thomas Jones who would you rank as the best?

Larry Centers, Mike Alsttot, & Thomas Jones in that order.

Who would you say was the best defender you came up against?

Ray Lewis, hands down. That dudes a beast!

The Buccaneers, loved running the ball during your tenure, what was your favourite running play out of the playbook?

I liked running 92-93 Zone and 98-99 Bunch Crunch.

Some of your followers on twitter will have seen the drawing skills you possess. Has that been something that has always interested you?

Yeah I always enjoyed drawing. I never really showed anybody my work before but it has been something I always enjoyed doing in my down time.

Some players have spoken in the past about having a tough time adjusting to life when they finish playing. Has that been something you have had a problem with? Have you taken up many new hobbies after your playing days?

Yes it was tough at first, life after football. Football was something I did every year of my life since the age of 10. So when you finish your career and start your life after the game it’s pretty tough. I adjusted well and been active since my retirement. I was a intern RB for the Redskins and I went back to school to finish up my degree in 2010 and now I’m about graduate this November from the University of Phoenix with my Business degree.

Who has inspired you in life outside of football?

My family.

With the recent Lance Armstrong story, do you think that Performance enhancing drugs are an issue in the NFL and do you think it is a problem in American Sports?

No I don’t think it’s a problem in the NFL. I believe the NFL is doing a great job of drug testing the athletes. If you try to cheat in the NFL, it’s a guarantee you’ll get caught.

You and Mike Alstott operated as a duo, can you see Blount and Martin doing the same? Were you able to be friendly with a guy who was trying to steal your spot?

I think they will have a great year together as long as they both work as a unit and put the team before self. I never had a problem with sharing time in the backfield with none of my teammates. There was never any jealousy amongst our group and we are all still friends.

What do you currently enjoy watching on TV and why?

I really don’t watch to much TV. TV shows have been taking over by reality tv and I’m not a huge reality tv fan.

http://nfl-ireland.com/nfl/4089-michael-pittman-interview/

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 28, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »

Who would you say was the best defender you came up against? The blade of grass.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 28, 2013, 12:46:29 AM »

So true

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 28, 2013, 06:41:49 AM »

Who would you say was the best defender you came up against? The blade of grass.

That was pretty funny.   But he did run wild in that Super Bowl.

Juani2

Second String

« #4 : January 28, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »

Hahaa

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #5 : January 28, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

Always likened him to those toy motorcycles with the plastic-teeth pull strip.  Goes wild fast until something bumps it.  In Mike's case, it was chalk.
Helluva SB game for him, though.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 28, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »

The decision late in the Super Bowl to pound the rock with Pittman as the hammer saved our Super Bowl butts. Raiders pass rush was starting to blunt our pass game, and they were moving the ball and scoring on us. TBH, I was gettin' that deer in the headlights feeling. Pittman came up huge and changed the momentum by moving the chains, running clock, and keeping it out of Gannon's hands; perhaps Michael's best game as a Buc?

VA_Buc30

Starter

« #7 : January 28, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »

He had a hell of Super Bowl.   IMO, he adds a touchdown to his stats in that game, he gets the MVP over Jackson.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 28, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

He doesn't get the credit he deserves for 04 and 05. Extremely productive seasons.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 28, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »

He doesn't get the credit he deserves for 04 and 05. Extremely productive seasons.

Bingo.  In 2004, Pittman was averaging 101.3 yards from scrimmage per game, which was the most since James Wilder's 102.6 in 1985.  Pittman's triple-digit total wasn't even sniffed by Cadillac Williams, and it was just bested by Doug Martin's 120.4 per game in 2012.  Michael was a weapon in the post-Super Bowl years, and it's a shame he's remembered most for losing his balance.  He was as close to Gruden's prototype running back -- the explosive, pass-catching, route-running, Charlie Garner type--that we saw here in Tampa Bay.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 28, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »

Bingo.  In 2004, Pittman was averaging 101.3 yards from scrimmage per game, which was the most since James Wilder's 102.6 in 1985.  Pittman's triple-digit total wasn't even sniffed by Cadillac Williams, and it was just bested by Doug Martin's 120.4 per game in 2012.  Michael was a weapon in the post-Super Bowl years, and it's a shame he's remembered most for losing his balance.  He was as close to Gruden's prototype running back -- the explosive, pass-catching, route-running, Charlie Garner type--that we saw here in Tampa Bay.
Agreed.

Pittman was an ideal third down back in this offense.  He could block well, he caught the ball reliably, he ran hard and defenders didnt like to hit him late in games.

I have nothing but respect for Pittman.  And we all brag on his Superbowl game, which was his best performance.  Perfect!

IrishBuc

Second String

« #11 : January 28, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »

Cheers for the replies fellows. Happy our site got a mention as well. Hope y'all enjoyed it. I'm hoping to try and organise one with Quincy Black (with doubts over his return to football I don't know how likely it is now). I'm heading to Tampa in the summer to visit some family so will get to see training camp. If I get lucky or prove to the Bucs I'm up for the task I might get a press pass. Fingers crossed on that, but being there in itself would be an experience.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 28, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Actually watched the Super Bowl 2002 yesterday on NFL network. Chills, chills and more chills, and yes Pittman was a stud that day. All the players like Lynch, Brooks and Sapp were micked up, as well as Gruden. All this crap thaat Callahan threw the game is horses!t. The Raiders got a good old BEAT DOWN, offensively, defensively, special teams, out coached, out hustled, just a classic game to watch.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Pittman Interview « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools