Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pollard...."Thirty years from now I don’t think it [NFL} will be in existence." « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 28, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »

Bernard Pollard questions long-term future of NFL

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 27, 2013, 7:44 PM EST

PFT

Getty Images

Baltimore Ravens safety Bernard Pollard will play in his first Super Bowl in just a week as the Ravens take on the San Francisco 49ers.

Yet Pollard is wondering just how many Super Bowls will be played in the future.

According to Clark Judge of CBSSports.com, Pollard doesn’t paint a very promising picture for the long-term future of the league.

Pollard sees a conundrum coming between the league losing fans by over-legislating the physicality of the sport in the name of player safety and the players continuing to get bigger, faster and stronger.

“Thirty years from now,” Pollard said, “I don’t think it will be in existence. I could be wrong. It’s just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going — where they [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they’re throwing flags and everything else — there’s going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it.

“The league is trying to move in the right direction [with player safety],” he added, “but, at the same time, [coaches] want bigger, stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you’re going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees. The only thing I’m waiting for … and, Lord, I hope it doesn’t happen … is a guy dying on the field. We’ve had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks.”

Pollard has a reputation as a big-hitter and has earned his fair share of fines from the league due to illegal hits so he’s felt the effects of the league’s rule changes more than most. He knows fans cheer big hits while the league is trying to limit them.

While Pollard may be overly pessimistic over the future of the league, it’s an intriguing perspective.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 28, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »

Let´s see what the players lawsuits do to insurance premiums, as well as the home experience does ro the NFL in the next 15 years.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 28, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »

Players should be required to sign off on any injuries,  and resulting lawsuits.

Release the league from any liabilty.   And I believe 99% of the players would do it.

If they don't figure it out soon, we will have football like we saw Sunday at the ProBowl.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 28, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »

The problem won't be overlegislation, it will be when mom and dad won't let little Timmy play Pop Warner because they don't want his brain to be oatmeal at 50 and the pipeline for talent starts to dry up because no one is really playing the sport.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 28, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »

Do away with hard-shell helmets , go back to leather helmets , and concussions would go down , because you would instintively try to protect your head . You wouldn't fly into someone like a missile with your head down, because it would hurt.

Look at Rugby. Just as physical as football but less head injuries.

Sounds counter-intuitive , but it's true.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 28, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »

The problem won't be overlegislation, it will be when mom and dad won't let little Timmy play Pop Warner because they don't want his brain to be oatmeal at 50 and the pipeline for talent starts to dry up because no one is really playing the sport.

Women like this one will always provide plenty of players and brain damage won't be a concern in the least.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 28, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »

Do away with hard-shell helmets , go back to leather helmets , and concussions would go down , because you would instintively try to protect your head . You wouldn't fly into someone like a missile with your head down, because it would hurt.

A number of folks have been saying this for a long time. Rugby and the AFL (Aussie not Arena) don't have the problem.

I still think the NFL's solution will be to move more AFL (Arena not Aussie) and eliminate or really restrict zone defenses because it is zones that allow defenders to set up kill shots on WR. The collision of WR's and DB/LB's appears to be the whole focus. Ask Ridley if the NFL cares about helmet to helmet on RB's.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 28, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »

Agree 100%

What was meant to protect players is often used as a weapon.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 28, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

It's sad too because that arguement makes no sense.  The "violence" of the NFL is because of two reasons... size (physical strength), & speed.  What are 2 things that Pop Warner leagues are completely void of?  Size & speed.  When size and speed become relevant is kids lives... right around high school, they're old enough to start making decisions for themselves if they want to continue with football.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 28, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »

Ask Ridley if the NFL cares about helmet to helmet on RB's.

but in fairness, didnt ridley lower his head on that collision?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 28, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »

The NFL is a money making powerhouse and will go nowhere. What will happen is this game will continue to change. We'll see kickoffs continue to be changed or done away with and if people continue to get concussions we'll see helmet's change or the rules being enforced even more strictly.

The NFL will be fine, people who can't see the NFL is already changing in effort to keep this game the most popular sport in the US by a large, large amount aren't looking close enough.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

danimal09

Starter

« #11 : January 28, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

I agree  it will eventually come to a halt but it will be because of the union. Plain and simple they ruin business. I understand workers/players want to be treated right but unions ruin things more than they protect workers.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 28, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »

" eliminate or really restrict zone defenses because it is zones that allow defenders to set up kill shots on WR. The collision of WR's and DB/LB's appears to be the whole focus. "

But at the same time, they're constantly tweaking the rules to push the league towards the passing game and for receivers to get a free release so they can get up to higher speeds. Apparently the hypocrites can't see their own contributions to the concussion problem.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 28, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »

No way the NFL won't be around.  It is part of American culture.  The talent pool might change somewhat but the fan interest will always be strong.  You might lose the idiots that love the big hits(the same ones that only watch nascar for the crashes).  So what?  The core will always be there.  There are generations invested in teams.

The game will definitely change.  Any company/corporation must be dynamic to begin with.  Change is good.  Some people fear change. 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 28, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

First of all, unlike the military draft, players are in the NFL by their choice and the team that agrees to pay them. If they're afraid of injury, DON'T SIGN THE DANG CONTRACT. Football is by it's very nature a dangerous game...

All these lawsuits flying around have more potential to hurt the game LONG TERM than head injuries. With players already insured by the league, there should be a 'no fault' clause in all contracts to get rid of these lawsuits. I'd bet most players would have little problem with that...

To make it more complicated, it's evolving into more of an entertainment spectacle that a sport from the business side.

Pollard has good points; no one really knows where that line will ultimately be drawn between 'player safety' vs 'just enough violence to keep the fans interested enough to spend $$ on it'...
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pollard...."Thirty years from now I don’t think it [NFL} will be in existence." « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools