Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dumb Glazers -- Bleeding the Bucs Dry . . . « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#45 : January 29, 2013, 12:44:11 PM

LMAO  -- and here I was thinking a few people would post "I was wrong"    :-[

The Glazer were not cheap when they bought the team, but then got cheap, and then got uncheap.  LOL.

guess you missed it the first time thanks to your drunken stupor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9676599/Manchester-United-debt-to-fall-below-400m-for-first-time-since-Glazer-family-takeover-in-2005.html

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 29, 2013, 12:49:17 PM

Peanut Butter Boy ain't too bright......

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#47 : January 29, 2013, 12:53:11 PM

If the owners kept the payroll near the bottom of the league for years and years and years, and we gather unimpressive results as fans, I think it is fair to say the owners were IN FACT cheap. Reality dictates truth.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 29, 2013, 01:36:02 PM

How much lower than dead last in spending would it have taken for some of you to admit the Glazers were being cheap?

m_j

Starter

#49 : January 29, 2013, 01:51:22 PM

noone can blame glazers for having biggest sport franchise in the world as their priority.
now, noone says we should like and approve that, but that's reality

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 29, 2013, 02:02:00 PM

how many FAs did we sign/trades made in the years leading up to our Super Bowl win?

FAs were acquired to supplement the core.... not create one.
Ummm -not the offense.  D was mostly home grown, O was mostly FAs.  And it was the offense that was missing as you know.  And it was the defense where almost 2/3s of the money was committed iirc.

I won't argue that at all.... but once the defense was aged & dismantled, we had nothing!!!!

Our 1st-3rd round picks from 97-01:

96: 1 - Regan Upshaw, 1- Marcus Jones, 2 - Mike Alstott, 3 - Donnie Abraham

97: 1a - Warrick Dunn, 1b - Reidel Anthony, 2 - Jerry Wunsch, 3a - Frank Middleton, 3b - Ronde Barber

98: No first, 2a - Jacquez Green, 2b - Brian Kelly, 3 - Jamie Duncan

99: 1 - Anthony McFarland, 2 - Shaun King, 3 - Martin Gramatica

00: No first, 2 - Cosey Coleman, 3 - Nate Webster

01: 1st and 2nd -  Kenyatta Walker, 3 - Dwight Smith

Factor in the two first round picks for Keyshawn and the two first and second round picks for Gruden, and it's not hard to see why "we had nothing!" left.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#51 : January 29, 2013, 02:04:16 PM

How much lower than dead last in spending would it have taken for some of you to admit the Glazers were being cheap?

...Maybe they're closet Met fans?

Seriously though, most people automatically assume that money doesn't help, and that it's not a barometer of a team's passion or abilities.

While that is somewhat true, they also tend to forget what non-spending brings along with it if they fail. Low ticket sales, blackouts, FA's not wanting to come in (unless getting paid), losses, and the general media boredom of the team all are sure signs of non-spending. We can sugarcoat it all day long, but simple fact is, the minute the Glazers stopped spending was the minute we started this downtrodden display we've seen in the same amount of time. As far as I'm concerned, people can stow that "feel-good-movie" crap for the hippies. In the NFL money does indeed talk.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone is even questioning it. Several seasons of being literally at the bottom of 39-31 other teams in spending, while completely avoiding playoffs doesn't signal "red light" to you guys? ..Sure does to me.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 29, 2013, 02:33:12 PM

Factor in the two first round picks for Keyshawn and the two first and second round picks for Gruden, and it's not hard to see why "we had nothing!" left.
What's that have to do with the owners being cheap?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 29, 2013, 02:36:22 PM

follow along

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#54 : January 29, 2013, 02:49:07 PM

follow along
So when various decisions by the coach, GM, and scouts leaves the team with no players worth paying, it's the owners' fault for being cheap?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 29, 2013, 04:35:45 PM

Hate made the excuse for the Glazers lack of spending, blaming Gru/Allen's draft failures.   I believe Escobar decided to lay out the missed picks preGru/Allen since Hate ignored my inquiry.   I'd argue that we didn't seem to have a problem spending money on FA's/players acquired through trades leading up to our Super Bowl championship even though we seemed to miss on quite a few picks and traded a few others.  Don't know that that was Escobar's point though.  Hope that helps you out.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#56 : January 29, 2013, 08:26:45 PM

Anyone who thinks that the ManU purchase in 2005 and the Bucs being at THE BOTTOM in overall spending 2005-2011 are not related....

...has brains made up of peanut butter.

The Glazers have billions from their real estate alone.....but they didn't spend in free agency because ManU made them sooo broke they couldn't afford an extra $20M? They couldn't afford to spend like .06% of their fortune? Sure. That makes perfect sense. 

Draft Aaron Donald

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#57 : January 29, 2013, 09:33:58 PM

Not sure where you get your numbers but according to Forbes Malcom's net worth is 3.9 B which of course includes his sports teams, the Bucs and Man U.    Just because he owns a bunch of real estate doesn't mean he has a bunch of cash laying around.   You may not have noticed, but the real estate market has sucked for several years now.   Nobody knows for sure why the Glazers decided to stop spending on the Bucs around the same time they made their move to takeover Man U or why they decided to jump in and make a splash in FA about the same time they took some shares public and pulled in $100 M cash, but one could wonder.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 29, 2013, 09:35:43 PM

Anyone who thinks that the ManU purchase in 2005 and the Bucs being at THE BOTTOM in overall spending 2005-2011 are not related....

...has brains made up of peanut butter.

The Glazers have billions from their real estate alone.....but they didn't spend in free agency because ManU made them sooo broke they couldn't afford an extra $20M? They couldn't afford to spend like .06% of their fortune? Sure. That makes perfect sense.
I think you missed the point.  No one has said they couldn't - they have noted the Glazers didn't.  Some felt it was due to the purchase of Man Utd. which they took from public to private status, others opined their fortune is real estate based, and still others wondered if Malcolm's health issues were at the heart of a sudden cessation of interest in FAs. 

Drafting poorly is a characteristic of this franchise, a couple of relatively short runs where the bucs have had their picks worth re-signing are noted in all of buccaneer history.  So - what is the other way teams get players on their roster - FA signings.  Why the sudden excitement over the signing of Tjax and Nicks (no one who had seen Wright play for either the Lions or Browns was too excited about him)?  Because it was needed, it required spending, and the bucs stepped up.  For the first time in a long while. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 29, 2013, 09:37:44 PM

But at least the Wright signing addressed a need and showed a willingness to go after a guy that could add to the team.  I'm sure the original plan was to be the #2 with Talib on the other side
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dumb Glazers -- Bleeding the Bucs Dry . . . « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools