Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You Pick- Matt Flynn or Alex Smith as Josh Freeman's Competition? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 29, 2013, 12:31:26 PM

If Smith gets released, than I'd prefer Smith. If it's a trade I'd rather snap Matt Moore in free agency.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

HolyBuc

Starter
#16 : January 29, 2013, 12:53:29 PM

Neither Flynn or Smith would want to come here.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 29, 2013, 01:03:29 PM

Smith does not want to walk into a competition, but I would choose Smith.  He is better off going to Arizona.

I'm sure that he has some pride in himself though. Would he rather take a job with no competition at all, and automatically be named the starter. Or would he rather walk into a city where he has a chance to unseat an NFL level QB to become the starter.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 29, 2013, 01:06:32 PM

Smith does not want to walk into a competition, but I would choose Smith.  He is better off going to Arizona.

+1
Smith and Fitzgerald together can make some noise in their division.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 29, 2013, 01:06:33 PM

Tough choice. Smitty's noodle arm isn't really playing to the deep ball strength of this offense/players. But he brings a vet capable of pushing Free with legit competition.

Flynn is meh. He has a small body if work with some remarkable results, on a team with a loaded offense however. Just not a fan of Flynn...it screams Matt Cassel/Kevin Kolb. And both if those guys are not good.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 29, 2013, 01:17:43 PM

If those are my two options, I'd take Flynn.  I'd rather have Alex Smith, but if there were a competition, Smith would beat out Freeman... that wouldn't be good.  I'd rather have a guy that I believe would push Freeman, but not beat him out.  If they bring in Alex Smith, you might as well trade Freeman first.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 29, 2013, 01:21:41 PM

What?

You want a guy who pushes him but doesn't beat him out?

Losers are made that way. Horrible mentality.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 29, 2013, 01:25:45 PM

What?

You want a guy who pushes him but doesn't beat him out?

Losers are made that way. Horrible mentality.

Still holding out hope.  I don't think Flynn or Smith are long term solutions... I don't think Freeman is either, but I believe there's a chance that Freeman could be, I'm quite confident that the other two never will be.  If Freeman bombs out this season, then no matter which of the 3 that you have, the Bucs will still need to draft a QB next year anyway.  I'd rather Freeman at least have a chance to prove whether he can be the guy or not.  Bringing in Alex Smith is a guarantee that Freeman will never get off  the bench.  That doesn't help this team.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 29, 2013, 01:28:38 PM

Seeing how "competition" really helped Sanchez, I think it's a bad idea.

Also, either one of these guys are horrible. Alex only does well in certain offenses, and Flynn is a one-hit wonder on a good/great team.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 29, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

I'm sure that he has some pride in himself though. Would he rather take a job with no competition at all, and automatically be named the starter. Or would he rather walk into a city where he has a chance to unseat an NFL level QB to become the starter.
so Kevin Kolb is a NFL level qb?
yes I know you meant freeman...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 29, 2013, 01:32:02 PM

Seeing how "competition" really helped Sanchez, I think it's a bad idea.

Also, either one of these guys are horrible. Alex only does well in certain offenses, and Flynn is a one-hit wonder on a good/great team.

Tebow was never competition, he was a gimmik guy.  Sort of like what the Dolphins did by drafting Pat White a couple years ago.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 29, 2013, 02:13:44 PM

No one can tell me Flynn can't throw the deep ball.

This is a throw I've never even seen Alex Smith attempt.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000052027/Terrell-Owens-drops-pass-in-end-zone

Flynn is the obvious choice here.

Easier to obtain.

He has a better chance of starting here than he does in Seattle.

Younger.

Most likely cheaper.

He would be legitimate competition for Freeman and if he beat him we might legitimately have a QB for the next 5-6 years.

I've seen what Alex Smith brings to the table. Not a fan.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 29, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

The rationale for Flynn is basically that he hasn't played enough games for anyone to know what his ceiling is. In that case, he's a better option than Smith. The problem is that nobody really knows what his floor is either.

Flynn getting signed for big bucks from Seattle doesn't provide a safety net for his floor. If it did, Scott Mitchell, Charlie Whithurst, and AJ Feeley would still be employed.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 29, 2013, 02:56:11 PM

He gave Russell Wilson a run for his money in training camp, and Wilson maybe better thsn Josh.

That is exactly what we need.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 29, 2013, 03:03:22 PM

Flynn is better because Smith's forte as SunnyD said is the short pass and that immediately eliminates the biggest edge that VJax and MW19 give us. Neither is a great route runner but are great down the field. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You Pick- Matt Flynn or Alex Smith as Josh Freeman's Competition? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools