Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tony Oden - New Coaching Hire? « previous next »
Page: 1

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« : January 30, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »

Haven't seen this anywhere else and on Wikipedia is says he's currently the DB coach for the Jaguars, but this guys is extremely reliable when it comes to coaching news so it's something worth keeping an eye on.

@coachingsearch: Sources tell me Tony Oden will join the Tampa Bay Bucs coaching staff. - Pete Roussel @coachingsearch

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »

Super Bowl pedigree under Sean P.  Young, and NFL experienced.

Seems like a great hire.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 30, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »

Has to be an upgrade from last year if true.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 30, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »

Super Bowl pedigree under Sean P.  Young, and NFL experienced.

Seems like a great hire.

I found this little tidbit of info:

Oden was promoted as the Saints defensive backs coach prior to the 2011 NFL season. Prior to that, Oden had worked as the Saints assistant defensive backs coach for five seasons. Prior to that he worked as the assistant defensive backs for the Houston Texans and had stints at the college level with Eastern Michigan, East Carolina, and Boston College working with defensive backs.

While Oden was with the Saints, they allowed the least amount passing touchdowns in the NFL since 2009. The Saints also have the most interception return yardage and the most interceptions returned for a touchdown since 2009.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 30, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »

Confirmed by Rick Stroud

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD
Bucs have hired Tony Oden as their defensive backs coach. Oden coached DBs for the Jaguars last season.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 30, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »

lets hope he gets some talent to work with instead of all these 3rd and 4th stringers....that's being kind suggesting the Bucs CBs can even play nickel or dime.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 30, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

derek cox?  tracy porter?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

yungbull

Starter
« #7 : January 30, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

Seems like a good young hire.  He could probably bring the same young enthusiasm and knowledge our last few DB coaches brought, excluding Ron Cooper.

yungbull

Starter
« #8 : January 30, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »

Looking at the Jags Pass D numbers from last year, the Jags roster, along with the fact they were last in sacks, he had a pretty decent year statistically given the talent at hand.  On paper, their DBs look far worst than ours.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #9 : January 30, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

Looking at the Jags Pass D numbers from last year, the Jags roster, along with the fact they were last in sacks, he had a pretty decent year statistically given the talent at hand.  On paper, their DBs look far worst than ours.
Didn't think such a thing was possible. 

As for the hire, I like that he brings youth and other NFL experience.  Bounties aside, G. Williams ran some good attacking defenses, so I'm sure Oden has seen some effective coaching in his days with the Saints.  He will also bring a certain level of knowledge of a division opponent, always a plus.  I would think having more NFL experience than NCAA would be enough to please some posters around here.  Honestly, I don't feel like I have enough information to work off of here, but am glad we are trying someone new.  Look forward to hearing more regarding his hire, from the folks who actually hired him.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 30, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »

Per JBF.com

Oden’s got an interesting background. A linebacker in college, Oden once worked as an assistant defensive backs coach at West Point and was a longtime assistant DBs coach with the Saints before Sean Peyton promoted him to the head job there in 2011. Last season, he was the secondary coach in Jacksonville. He also spent time as an assistant in Houston.

It would seem Oden is stepping into a great situation. Production from the Bucs secondary, one would think, can only get better.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=82554
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tony Oden - New Coaching Hire? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools