Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First Downs Allowed – Cornerbacks « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 30, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »

Signature Stats: First Downs Allowed – Cornerbacks

Khaled Elsayed | 2013/01/28
ProFootballFocus

For five seasons Pro Football Focus has been dedicated to breaking down the NFL on a play-by-play basis like no other. Speaking for the rest of the staff that has meant long hours and an inability to make full use of all the data we create.

Only now the 2012 season is coming to a close, and with PFF more developed, are we starting to really delve into some revealing numbers. The upshot? Shiny, brand new Signature Stats available for discussion before they even hit the premium website — Signature Stats like this one:

First Downs Allowed in Coverage

It’s a relatively simple concept. We wanted to see which cornerbacks not only gave up the most first downs or touchdowns, but also who gave up the most relative to how often they’re in coverage. After all, someone in coverage for 500 snaps is infinitely more likely to give up results to the offense than a player in coverage for 300.

Now to the data.

Chain Movers

Where better to start than the raw numbers showing who gave up the most first downs? In that respect, the first walk of shame belongs to Sean Smith, who was beaten for 40 first downs and six touchdowns in 2012. Those 46 combined first downs and touchdowns were one more than Cary Williams and Patrick Robinson, both of whom had 45 as their magical number. How about that, two of the three are about to be free agents. Interesting.

Name

Sean Smith

Cary Williams

Patrick Robinson

DeAngelo Hall

Corey Webster

Antoine Cason

Dunta Robinson

Quentin Jammer

Josh Norman

Cassius Vaughn

Tramon Williams

Per Snap Struggles

However, as I said earlier, how can we really judge those guys given their opportunity to give up first downs are widely different to others? So instead of looking at who gave up the most, let’s look at who gave up the highest percentage relative to their coverage snaps (with a minimum of 300 snaps in coverage).

Well, that man would be the Carolina Panthers’ Josh Norman. Life is rarely easy in the NFL, and when you’re a fifth-round rookie thrust into a starting lineup things can go wrong. Norman gave up a first down or touchdown on 8.95% of his coverage snaps, earning his -7.4 coverage grade for the year. Still, rookies will be rookies, and his career won’t be defined by this season.

The man with the second-highest rating is a far more interesting case. With his numbers added up for the two teams he played for Aqib Talib, often tasked with manning up with a team’s best receiver, allowed a first down or touchdown on 8.75% of plays. He may be incredibly talented, but don’t be thinking he’s a shutdown cornerback when you go to pay him.

Name

Josh Norman

Aqib Talib

Cassius Vaughn

Joselio Hanson

Nolan Carroll

Cortez Allen

Cary Williams

Dunta Robinson

Buster Skrine

Josh Robinson

Derek Cox

Corey Webster

Eric Wright

Sean Smith

A.J. Jefferson

Patrick Robinson

Jimmy Wilson

Quentin Jammer

DeAngelo Hall\

Keenan Lewis

The Shutdown Crew

Still, it’s not all bad. While some guys disappointed, others impressed, and none more so than the 49ers’ left cornerback in their nickel package, Chris Culliver. He gave up a first down or touchdown on only 3.45% of his snaps in coverage, a staggeringly low amount when you consider that the next lowest score is that of Leon Hall, with 3.75%.

Name

Chris Culliver

Leon Hall

Sam Shields

Prince Amukamara

Casey Hayward

Champ Bailey

Adam Jones

Antonio Cromartie

Kareem Jackson

Alterraun Verner

Robert McClain

Chris Houston

Richard Sherman

Brandon Browner

Josh Wilson

Brandon Flowers

Chris Harris Jr.

Antoine Winfield

Kyle Wilson

Asante Samuel

Sometimes it’s not just about the yards you give up, but the impact of those yards. Do they move the chains or don’t they? There’s a big difference between allowing a 9-yard completion on 3rd-and-10, or giving up a 3-yard completion on 4th-and-2. So looking into who’s giving up touchdowns and first downs is a real indicator of which cornerbacks are truly shutdown.

Stay tuned for more stats like this as the PFF Signature Stat area continues to grow.

Follow Khaled on Twitter: @PFF_Khaled

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »

The more I look into Sean Smith, the less that I'm convinced of picking him up in free agency. Miami fans don't speak very highly of him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 30, 2013, 01:56:16 AM »

Surprised to see Champ Bailey rated so high.  Dude got abused big time against the Ravens.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 30, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »

Surprised to see Champ Bailey rated so high.  Dude got abused big time against the Ravens.
Most of the other teams in the NFL don't have a QB who can throw the ball out of the stadium, an offensive line that can block Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil, and a 4.4 receiver who can catch in order to beat Bailey.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 30, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »

Smith has great measurable but he's inconsistent and has never really put it all together

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #5 : January 30, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

Good to see our CBs not making the top "Bad" list

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 30, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »

Smith has great measurable but he's inconsistent and has never really put it all together

If Dom passed on revis for this guy I would vomit.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 30, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »

Aqib Talib and Eric Wright both made the bad list, when adjusted for number of snaps in coverage.  Shockingly, Biggers, Johnson, Lewis, and Gorrer didn't.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 30, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »

Dom isn't looking at these two under a scenario where he can obtain either one on an even playing field

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 30, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

Aqib Talib and Eric Wright both made the bad list, when adjusted for number of snaps in coverage.  Shockingly, Biggers, Johnson, Lewis, and Gorrer didn't.

Shocking when you consider our pass defense was historically bad this year. I guess it means it was a good team effort! lol

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 30, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »

Hmmmm. Don't know how many each of our CBs played, but we had such a revolving lineup going all season, individually our guys may not have made the cut due to insufficient snaps. We all know we gave up a TON of first downs via the pass... Or aybe there were more 1st & 2nd down passes than 3rd down passes resulting in 1st downs?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 30, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »

Good post.  I am starting to see just that, as I learn more about the guy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 30, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »

Dom isn't looking at these two under a scenario where he can obtain either one on an even playing field

exactly.  i would give a 1 and a reasonable contract to revis but it takes 2 to tango.  smith comes for much much less.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 30, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »

Dom could sign either one, or both if he were willing to do so.

Just saying, if the guy had a chance at revis and got smith instead it would suck.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 31, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »

exactly.  i would give a 1 and a reasonable contract to revis but it takes 2 to tango.  smith comes for much much less.

I would guess it would take more than that for Revis.  Unfortunately

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First Downs Allowed – Cornerbacks « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools