Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In order of need, what 5 positions need to be upgraded ASAP? (SIAP) « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 30, 2013, 09:17:31 AM

CB
TE
OT/FS

Miller is very good at run stopping, but also literally one of the worst pass rushers in the league. I do think we need an upgrade there but I also think Bowers can fill in on passing downs and help McCoy out. I hate to see us spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy who is only going to rush the passer.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 30, 2013, 09:31:48 AM

TBH, I don't like to start out ranking positions when we have so many needs. BPA rules.
    IF there is a stud DT out there who can command double teams, I think that would impact our D more than any other single position.
Putting such a beast next to McCoy would reduce opposing QBs' capability to step up in the pocket, allowing our DEs as well as McCoy to better get to the QB.
Add to that, just knowing we had a good overall pass rush would allow our DBs to play tighter coverage.
    CB is certainly on the list somewhere, but not #1 in my book. I'm old school; got to control the LOS, and except for the run game, we mostly don't.
    I'd also look at LB real close. I could easily see Foster being shifted to SLB. I could even see David moving to MLB. A lot of possibilities. I do think we need LBs a lot more involved in pass D. Except for David, we need more speed and quicks for them to be effective in pass D.
    Good point regarding S; most of us like Ahmad Black, but even though Sean Baker looked good in pre-season, not sure if he's ready to step up if needed. We all want to see Ronde return, but he won't play forever... :(
    On offense, O'line is scary thin, and Penn is 30 come draft time. Knowing his history of weight issues, he's never been known for taking care of his body; definitely a concern. Zuttah is adequate, but adding a stud C would be a huge boost to our run game.
    Dom must be having a lot of fun right now, and I'm sure he appreciates all our help  ;D ;D

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#17 : January 30, 2013, 10:53:28 AM

Great input fellas.

Center could definitely be upgraded. And depending on Ronde, FS, too.

The quest for .500 begins...

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#18 : January 30, 2013, 10:54:58 AM

Also would like to add that I liked the idea of going after the mammoth NT from UGa, I think his name is Jenkins.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 30, 2013, 11:17:33 AM

CB
TE
OT/FS

Miller is very good at run stopping, but also literally one of the worst pass rushers in the league. I do think we need an upgrade there but I also think Bowers can fill in on passing downs and help McCoy out. I hate to see us spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy who is only going to rush the passer.

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall need positions you pointed out...but let's explore the part in bold.

Let's say a guy like Ansah has a beast of a pro day and combine and kills it in interviews, etc, etc. Let's say he is sitting there at #13 and there is an option to take him. Lets ask ourselves how valuable 3rd down pass rush truly is...I would personally say that it is very important. Let's look at it from a number stand point. Defensively, the Bucs were 25th in the league at 3rd down completion % at 40.18%. Another number to look at is average pass attempts per game by the opposing offense...the Bucs had the most pass attempts attempted on them in the league with an average of 39.2 per game. The Bucs sack % was 31st in the league at 4.13%.

Going back to the 40.18% number on 3rd down completion %. What if the addition of another pass rusher could help get our % down to the 35%-36% range. That would be worth it, IMO. Situationally, 3rd down and 5+ plays are vey important in terms of getting off the field, and a potential pass rushing stud at DE could help in that regard as well as other long down situations.

All of the above is contingent, of course, on us filling a few needs in FA.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 30, 2013, 11:47:28 AM

CB - has to be on the #1 hit list. They are overwhelmed and very weak on overall talent. If this group drastically improves in the offseason, Tampa has a good chance of being a winning team next season.

C - I will be picked on for this, but I do not like zuttah and we need a mauler in that position. If not for freeman, for martin. Sooner or later I think without a solid center pickup, we will find ourselves looking once again.

DT - For rotation and backup reasons, this would help the bucs out a lot. We have talent there, but there could always be more stockpiled into the position.

TE - Stocker is for whatever reason subpar. Dallas Clark has more rubber taken off his wheels than dolly parton's last breast reduction. Dom is going to have to draft a TE somewhere, like it or not.

LB - Quincy isn't sounding well, and we were already lacking a bit of depth there anyhow. Really, this selection is probably the most odd, as it could be moved anywhere from 5th (in this list) to 2nd out of the top 5. There will be a few solid LBs in draft after all.

I am also in favor of upgrading at C...but I would drop it to the bottom of those 5.  I think the CB, DT, LB, and TE needs outweigh it.  Zuttah isnt great but isnt bad.  He will be a LOT better when our Pro-Bowl Guards are healthy.  I would prefer a new RT in the short term.

Well, I'm certainly glad you agree center could use a bit of upgrading, and you're probably right, zutt would be better off with both guys next to him next season as well.

My problem is that I firmly believe with a mauler of a center it would make this offense more consistant. Zutt snaps pretty low on freeman, which in turn costs him a second to recouperate the botched snaps. There is also the fact that he is undersized (something faine was too). We need a grinding line if we want to be a consistantly good running team(w/o a good blocking FB or TE).

Zutt is certainly not horrible or anything, but the position could be upgraded for everyone's sake. Most likely though, in this draft, it won't happen. Dom and schiano like him and there is little talent in that position avalible. Maybe not needed as much as LB, and certainly not CB, but the need is there when you consider the amount of injuries this past season. Another flex-player probably?
: January 30, 2013, 11:49:14 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bill_kir

Starter

#21 : January 30, 2013, 12:01:41 PM

live long Bucs fan but being in NEPA and without the NFL ticket, i don't get to see many games so my observations may be off some ....

CB ..... doesn't need to be a shut down corner but at least be a great corner, i think that pass defense is part coverage and part pressure, which leads me to
DE/LB .... but he needs to be a pure pass rusher. watching the Bucs Super Bowl season DVD over the weekend i realized how much i overlooked Simeon Rice and what he did. when ever there needed to be a big 3rd down stop it seemed more often then not he was in the back field blowing up the play, and it didnt seem like it was on stunts or gap reads but just him beating his man off the snap.
RB .... again, from the DVD we need that big pile moving 3rd down and 1 back like Alstott. Martin is the true #1 back but having someone you can count on to pick up a yard in short yardage situations is big. when everyone in the stadium knows you are going to run it, 9 men in the box, no trickery just hand it off to someone who will move the pile enough to move the chains
OL .... generic i know but you can never have enough depth for the OL
TE .... a true go to guy would be nice to have

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 30, 2013, 12:22:30 PM

CB
DE
DT
TE
Slot WR
OT

big_JLB

Starter

#23 : January 30, 2013, 02:13:03 PM

CB
TE
OT/FS

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall need positions you pointed out...but let's explore the part in bold.

Let's say a guy like Ansah has a beast of a pro day and combine and kills it in interviews, etc, etc. Let's say he is sitting there at #13 and there is an option to take him. Lets ask ourselves how valuable 3rd down pass rush truly is...I would personally say that it is very important. Let's look at it from a number stand point. Defensively, the Bucs were 25th in the league at 3rd down completion % at 40.18%. Another number to look at is average pass attempts per game by the opposing offense...the Bucs had the most pass attempts attempted on them in the league with an average of 39.2 per game. The Bucs sack % was 31st in the league at 4.13%.

Going back to the 40.18% number on 3rd down completion %. What if the addition of another pass rusher could help get our % down to the 35%-36% range. That would be worth it, IMO. Situationally, 3rd down and 5+ plays are vey important in terms of getting off the field, and a potential pass rushing stud at DE could help in that regard as well as other long down situations.

All of the above is contingent, of course, on us filling a few needs in FA.

+157

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 30, 2013, 02:36:37 PM

TBH, I don't like to start out ranking positions when we have so many needs. BPA rules.
    IF there is a stud DT out there who can command double teams, I think that would impact our D more than any other single position.
Putting such a beast next to McCoy would reduce opposing QBs' capability to step up in the pocket, allowing our DEs as well as McCoy to better get to the QB.
Add to that, just knowing we had a good overall pass rush would allow our DBs to play tighter coverage.
    CB is certainly on the list somewhere, but not #1 in my book. I'm old school; got to control the LOS, and except for the run game, we mostly don't.
    I'd also look at LB real close. I could easily see Foster being shifted to SLB. I could even see David moving to MLB. A lot of possibilities. I do think we need LBs a lot more involved in pass D. Except for David, we need more speed and quicks for them to be effective in pass D.
    Good point regarding S; most of us like Ahmad Black, but even though Sean Baker looked good in pre-season, not sure if he's ready to step up if needed. We all want to see Ronde return, but he won't play forever... :(
    On offense, O'line is scary thin, and Penn is 30 come draft time. Knowing his history of weight issues, he's never been known for taking care of his body; definitely a concern. Zuttah is adequate, but adding a stud C would be a huge boost to our run game.
    Dom must be having a lot of fun right now, and I'm sure he appreciates all our help  ;D ;D

Nice work NDY. Iḿ going to take the approach of three level of needs.

Tier 1
DT,DE,CB,TE,RT
Tier 2
RB,QB,LT,LB,CB
Tier 3
RG,DE,C,KR,Slot Receiver

All attainable through Free Agency, trades and obviously the draft. Thatś 15 new faces. Add in the usual 11 to 15 players annually on IR, plus depth, plus the practice squad and Dom and Schiano have a TON of work to do. All of us can go on for days with our pet FAś and draft choices but who really knows, itś a crap shoot at best, who makes it here. If Dom accomplishes all of this this coming year, they will be in the playoffs and 2014 can be used to draft for depth and replace any FA dead weight.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

youngone

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 30, 2013, 02:44:49 PM

Move #1 needs to be signing Brian Hartine.
Ummm... Why?

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#26 : January 30, 2013, 02:48:59 PM

Great post, Rusty.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 30, 2013, 02:56:14 PM

Watson kills on STs. He gets my vote to replace Q. Black. We could use some depth at LB but no need to use a premium pick.

An upgrade over Miller would be worth our first pick for an impact DT.

A DE could wait a year until we sort out what we have in Clayborn and Bowers. Hopefully Bennett returns and lures his brother away from the Giants.

CB is not a great value in round one. Better to wait to round two or three, depending on free agency.

A RT with an eye on replacing Penn in the future, would be acceptable in the first. Other than Nicks, we've done nothing to bolster the OL in years. Replace Zuttah in 2014.

A TE that could both block and catch...............maybe the Bennett brother. I'm guessing Clark is history. I'd rather not draft one, but a TE does triple duty, run blocking, pass blocking, and receiving.

Ranking the priorities will be a little easier when we see who they snag in free agency.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 30, 2013, 02:58:25 PM

Great post, Rusty.

Thanks, bullg8rdaddy. I truly belive year one was one of assessment, year two of the Schiano regeime is fill in all or most of the remaining needs, make the playoffs, year four and five, deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl and fine tuning through the draft each year thereafter. The foundational players from this past draft, Martin, David and Barron plus this yearś crop should play for the Bucs for a decade, barring injury. Hopefully Freeman turns it around and he also can be a foundational player for a decade.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In order of need, what 5 positions need to be upgraded ASAP? (SIAP) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools