Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What's Mike Williams worth ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 30, 2013, 02:05:08 AM »

JANUARY 29, 2013

What's Mike Williams worth in contract talks with Bucs?

Bucs receiver Mike Williams has a very capable agent who does not need my help.

Still, it’s a worthwhile exercise to kick around some ideas about what Williams might garner in these contract talks that now are underway with the Bucs.

Williams has a few things going for him: He’s young, still just 25-years old. He's durable, never missing any of the 48 games played since he's been on the roster. And he’s been consistent. Despite his dip to just three touchdowns and 771 yards in 2011, widely considered a down year for him, he has averaged 910 yards and 64 catches in his three seasons.

That’s very good production in a league where far less-accomplished players are doing quite well for themselves.

Working in the Bucs’ favor is the fact that they aren’t bidding against anyone. If and when this deal gets done this offseason, Williams won’t enter free agency and the Bucs will be able to sign him for less than they would on the open market.

So, with all that in mind, I went looking for a couple of reference points and a couple caught my eye.

First among them was Bills receiver Steve Johnson’s five-year, $36 million deal. Johnson has been slightly more productive than Williams, but not by much. And, like Williams, Johnson’s deal was negotiated before he entered free agency (though he was much closer to hitting the market than Williams).

Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice signed a five-year $41 million contract in 2011 that reportedly had more than $18 million in guarantees. And his production pales in comparison to Williams. Think Williams’ agent hasn’t included that one in his sales pitch?

The contracts given to some upper-tier receivers probably are out of reach for Williams. That would include that of Williams’ teammate, Vincent Jackson, who signed a five-year $55 million contract last year – including $13 million in 2012. Jackson is obviously in a different league than Williams and has had more years of sustained success.

But make no mistake, Williams is going to get paid, too. And he’s earned it. At this point, it probably boils down to a matter of how much.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 8:05:19 pm on January 29, 2013

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »

8mil yearly?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 30, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »

8mil yearly?

I would guess......between 7 and 8 mil.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
« #3 : January 30, 2013, 03:06:05 AM »

6-7 mill.

The quest for .500 begins...

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 30, 2013, 06:16:44 AM »

I would guess he gets a contract similar to that of Sidney Rice. Or somewhere in the high $7mil a year category.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 30, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »

I think he's worth at least a 2nd round pick.   

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 30, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »

Keep trollin...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 30, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

I said in another post that I thought he should be somewhere in the $5-$7M range... the Stevie Johnson comparison and contract are reasonable.  At $7.2M, it's on the high end (I'd give him $6M), but it's close enough.  I'd extend myself that much to ensure getting him for another 5 years.  I think Williams is a nice/solid player, but over-paying those kind of guys is what can kill your team.  I wouldn't go any higher than that $7.2, that's for sure.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 30, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »

I think we all have it nailed.  His stats are similar to Stevie, but they are paying him to be a #1.  Think we all learned last year Mike is not a #1, but a very good #2. 

The 2nd round pick comment is just laughable.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 30, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 30, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »

He's one of the better #2's in the league and should be paid as such. I want him here as a number 2. Still not a number one but we got a starting WR with a 4th round pick so we can't be to upset about it.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

« #11 : January 30, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »

I wish.  A solid #2 receiver going into a contract is not likely going to garner anyone's 2nd. 

I would love to have Mike stick around on a Jordy Nelson type extension, but no way would I pay him 6/7/8 mil a year average.  Mike can be a productive receiver in the right system for a long time, but so can a dozen guys in every draft. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 30, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »

I wish.  A solid #2 receiver going into a contract is not likely going to garner anyone's 2nd. 

I would love to have Mike stick around on a Jordy Nelson type extension, but no way would I pay him 6/7/8 mil a year average.  Mike can be a productive receiver in the right system for a long time, but so can a dozen guys in every draft.

I think we could get a second as any trade would likely be contingent upon an extension. Otherwise agree with your post.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

« #13 : January 30, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »

Completely false, mike deserve at least 7.5 mil a year. if these productive receiver's can be found by the dozen in every draft why have it taken us 10 years to find one in mike williams? there are not any #2 wr in the league that has the hands, body control, hand/eye coordination and height as williams. PAY THE MAN NOW!

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 30, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »

Maybe you missed it,  but we now have a OC capable of running plays with more than just 1 WR on the field at the same time.
A strange thing called 'shotgun' is also part of our offense nowdays.
Our OC even thinks scoring TDs instead of settling for FGs in the redzone would be genious.

There are rumors on the streets about a team, somewhere in the north, running plays with FIVE WR spread all over the field and  the QB a few yards BEHIND the center, actually having to catch the snap.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What's Mike Williams worth ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools