Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: REPORT: BUCS ADD FORMER SAINTS AND JAG ASSISTANT AS SECONDARY COACH « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : January 30, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

Just because I know you can't get to Mars driving a Pinto doesn't mean I do know how to get there.

only problem with your scenario is, you dont seem to know what a Pinto is.  you have heard its not good...but heck, you dont really know anything about a Pinto.
I know a Pinto is a car, do I need to know any more than that to know you can't drive it to Mars?
Don't try to mix and match examples in a lame wookie defense.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #16 : January 30, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

I know a Pinto is a car, do I need to know any more than that to know you can't drive it to Mars?

so what is it about this guy that you dont like as a coach?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 30, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »

From the article:  " According to the Saints website in 2011, Oden helped oversee a revamping of the secondary over the past two seasons that has paid dividends. Since 2009, the Saints have allowed the fewest touchdown passes (28) in the NFL, have the most interception return yards (848), the highest average yardage per return (24.2) and are tied for the most interception returns for touchdowns (7). ".
    And after he left the Saints for Jacksonville, what happened to the Saints secondary? Pretty much got torched, except for Josh's worst game of the year...

gone

Hall of Famer
« #18 : January 30, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »

We'll have to see with this one, none of us really knows much about this guy.  So much for announcing all the hire at once though.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 30, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »

so what is it about this guy that you dont like as a coach?
The results, both seasons when he's been hired to be DB coach the teams pass Ds have gotten worse, then he's been fired (but that's not because he did a bad job, right?)
The Jags allowed 491 more yards (the ave went up by .5 of a yard), the same number of TDs but had 5 less INTs the year he took over.
The Saints allowed 1054 more yards (the ave went up by .2 of a yard), they allowed 11 more TDs but had the same feeble 9 INTs the year he took over.
There is a pattern emerging, he gets hired, the pass d gets worse and he's fired after a year.
Forgive me if I'd rather try looking for a promising young assistant that can take a step up the coaching ladder rather than hire a guy that's done the same exact job, failed & been fired the past 2 seasons.
Remember the saying "The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." He's been a DB coach and failed, he was hired again and failed, now here we are making him DB coach again.
Let him take a step back, learn some more and maybe get another shot a few years down the line.
It's not like we have a great pass rush or elite talent for him to work with, the situation is just as bad as what he stepped into before so why expect different results just because he's now coaching our team?
I guess I need to put on the Pewter colored shades and drink the Koolaid, there's no questioning any move the Bucs make. Everything will be perfect even if there is no evidence to suupport that.
There is a difference between rooting for him to prove me wrong & hoping he will do a good job (Heart) and thinking it's a bad hire based on past results (Brain)

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #20 : January 30, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

From the article:  " According to the Saints website in 2011, Oden helped oversee a revamping of the secondary over the past two seasons that has paid dividends. Since 2009, the Saints have allowed the fewest touchdown passes (28) in the NFL, have the most interception return yards (848), the highest average yardage per return (24.2) and are tied for the most interception returns for touchdowns (7). ".
    And after he left the Saints for Jacksonville, what happened to the Saints secondary? Pretty much got torched, except for Josh's worst game of the year...
The problem is while things improved when he helped the DB coach the wheels fell of when he became the DB coach
They went from allowing 28 TDs in 09 & 10 combined to allowing 24 in 2011 when he was promoted, doesn't that make you question how much help he really was and if it was the previous DB coach that should get the credit?
Who was that guy he replaced, oh right it was Dennis Allen who moved up to be the Broncos DC where their defense moved up 10 places and he again moved up to being HC of the (mess that is the) Raiders.

Seems he's getting a lot of credit for something that happened on the watch of somebody else who is moving up in the world but none of the blame for when he got jobs and things got worse.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #21 : January 30, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

I don know. As important as this hire was, if Schiano and Dom blow this one, they are in deep doo doo. Doesn´t make sense to me to hire a dud but for sure, we shall see, just like Cooper.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #22 : January 30, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

maybe youre right TBT.  sure hope not though.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

gone

Hall of Famer
« #23 : January 30, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »

I don know. As important as this hire was, if Schiano and Dom blow this one, they are in deep doo doo. Doesn´t make sense to me to hire a dud but for sure, we shall see, just like Cooper.

Well, if there's one thing we know about Dom, it's that if anyone can screw up a coaching hire it's him   :P

But you're right on target about them being in trouble if this guy struggles.  Who's going to want to come in and be the DB coach when the last two were one and done under a new college coach?

FWIW I think they made the right call on Cooper and was asking about it before it happened, but this is as much about the impression it creates as about whether it's right or not.  I think however it turns out  there's a good chance we are looking at at least two years for this guy.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #24 : January 30, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

Well, if there's one thing we know about Dom, it's that if anyone can screw up a coaching hire it's him   :P

But you're right on target about them being in trouble if this guy struggles.  Who's going to want to come in and be the DB coach when the last two were one and done under a new college coach?

FWIW I think they made the right call on Cooper and was asking about it before it happened, but this is as much about the impression it creates as about whether it's right or not.  I think however it turns out  there's a good chance we are looking at at least two years for this guy.

When did Dom start picking Schiano's staff?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 30, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »

This is a stinky hire.

It makes me feel as if Revis island just sank, and there is a possibility that there won't be as much of an "upgrade" as we think on the cornerback core.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #26 : January 31, 2013, 12:06:45 AM »

Well, as DB coordinator, his teams improved from 24 to 21 TDs given up and 9 to 12 interceptions notched.  So if he gets credit for those stats, then his stats are improving.

I don't think stats tell the whole story, and there is more to coaching than just pedigree.  I am not saying I think the guy is going to be great, but I am not complaining it is a bad hire either.  As with most cases, I'll take the wait and see approach and give the guy a chance.  If our secondary looks the same or worse next year, I will be looking more the way of Schiano and Sheridan, but with his fairly mediocre last two stops, it will be easy to make him the goat.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: REPORT: BUCS ADD FORMER SAINTS AND JAG ASSISTANT AS SECONDARY COACH « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools