Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons to L.A ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 31, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »

Falcons to L.A. a very long shot

January, 30, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

There’s a sudden stream of speculation that the Atlanta Falcons could be moving to Los Angeles. I’m not buying it.

Maybe you never say never, but I see this one as an extreme long shot. I see it simply as another step in the negotiating process to get a new stadium built in Atlanta.

Owner Arthur Blank reportedly has let local leaders know that he’s received overtures from business leaders in Los Angeles. But it doesn’t sound like that’s something Blank is extremely interested in.

“Arthur Blank has never played that card and I give him credit for that,’’ Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said.

The fact is the Los Angeles thing is going to come up any time a team is looking for public help for a new stadium or renovations. It already has come up in Charlotte, where Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is looking for public money to help with renovations for Bank of America Stadium.

It’s come up elsewhere and will continue to come up in other spots until Los Angeles does get a team.

But I don’t think the Falcons really are in play for Los Angeles. First off, Blank and team president Rich McKay already have several years of talks with local leaders invested in getting a new stadium built. I don’t think the talks have suddenly fallen apart.

I also don’t get any sense that Blank is looking to get out of Atlanta. He has some pretty deep roots there and it’s a huge market that may be just starting to fully embrace the Falcons for the first time in franchise history. A lot of work has gone into that and I don’t think Blank wants all of that to go to waste. I also don’t think the NFL would want to give up a market like Atlanta.

Blank wants a new stadium in Atlanta and I think that still is likely to happen. There also has been some talk that a stadium could be built in the suburbs if a deal can’t be worked out to make it happen downtown.

I see the Los Angeles option only as a last resort if Blank simply can’t get a new stadium built in Atlanta or anywhere near the city. Until a deal is reached, the rumblings about Los Angeles probably will continue.

I think there are some owners out there who might be eager to move their team to Los Angeles or sell it to someone who will take it to California. But I don’t think Blank is one of those owners.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 31, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »

I seriously doubt the falcons are going anywhere.

They're going to leave for a traditionally bad market, all because they didn't get him a new stadium in a good market area?

Not buying it. The jags have a better chance IMO.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 31, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »

They are in the height of their crappy franchise.

If they were to move, just about any franchise could move anywhere/anytime.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 31, 2013, 01:23:45 AM »

I'd love to see the Panthers move to LA.    Who the hell wants to visit Carolina for a game?    I'd much prefer to travel to LA to watch an away game.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
« #4 : January 31, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »

I'd love to see the Panthers move to LA.    Who the hell wants to visit Carolina for a game?    I'd much prefer to travel to LA to watch an away game.

Nah, it would be one extra west coast game every year unless divisions were changed. 

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
« #5 : January 31, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »

Bye! I'm all for it.. Can't stand the Falcons..

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
« #6 : January 31, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »

We would still play them twice per year.  The only difference would be city name and location

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 31, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »

Not going to happen.  I live here in Atlanta and its just a bluff the owner is using to get the city to help pony up for a new (not needed) stadium.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 31, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »

What's wrong with the Georgia Dome?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 31, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

Not going to happen.  I live here in Atlanta and its just a bluff the owner is using to get the city to help pony up for a new (not needed) stadium.

The Glazers did the same thing.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 31, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »

Not a damn thing!  But the owner wants more box seats to sell to corporations and to be able to host another Super Bowl.  Since Atlanta is such a transient town, there has been a lot of push back on this new stadium.  This is a power play by him to try and get more public support.  It would be stupid for him to move since Home Depot (his company) is HQ here and that would make everyone in town shop at Lowe's really quick.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 31, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »

Not a damn thing!  But the owner wants more box seats to sell to corporations and to be able to host another Super Bowl.  Since Atlanta is such a transient town, there has been a lot of push back on this new stadium.  This is a power play by him to try and get more public support.  It would be stupid for him to move since Home Depot (his company) is HQ here and that would make everyone in town shop at Lowe's really quick.
Then he should renovate the place on his own dime. No need for a new stadium.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 31, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

We would still play them twice per year.  The only difference would be city name and location

It's a long shot but IF it did happen, they could put the Falcons in the NFC West, and put the Rams in the NFC South.  Rams are out of place there, with Zona, Seattle and Niners.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 31, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »

"I got an offer from L.A. So you need to build me a new stadium now."

Idiot. Half the league probably got offers from L.A.

I hope the city calls his bluff.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 31, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »

Nah, it would be one extra west coast game

That's the entire point.    Adding a West coast division opponent in LA would be great for fans who like to travel to fun cities for away games.   It would be easy enough to swing by Vegas on the trip as well.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons to L.A ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools