Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Rookie of the Year: Who Should Win?.........Who Will Win? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 01, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »

NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year: Who Should Win....Who will Win?

January 31, 2013   

By Mike Kerns

The last award I will be going over in this series is that of the defensive rookie of the year. Being a defense guy, this one was actually quite a bit more difficult for me to narrow down like it was with the offensive rookie of the year one. With that in mind, let’s meet the candidates.

Janoris Jenkins, CB, St. Louis Rams

I remember my first mock draft last year had Jenkins as s surefire top 15 pick. Yes, there were character concerns, but surely the usual suspects like Dallas, Cincinnati or Oakland wouldn’t let a talent like him go by. But when he fell to the 2nd round, Jeff Fisher knew he had a steal and took Jenkins. He responded by recording four interceptions, three of which he returned for a touchdown, and became a shut down corner.

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Another guy that I had listed very high in my inaugural mock draft, Burfict’s draft stock fell faster than any prospect that didn’t have a serious injury that I have ever seen. Ultimately going undrafted, Cincinnati took a risk on him and they’re happy they did. He finished 14th overall in the league with 127 tackles and stayed out of trouble all season.

Luke Kuechly, LB, Carolina Panthers

I’m guilty of calling the pick of Kuechly at 9th overall in this draft a bit of a reach. I thought the talent was there, but wasn’t sure he was a top 10 guy. I stand corrected, as he led the entire league with 165 tackles. The switch to middle linebacker in season turned out to be a perfect fit for the tackling machine.

Casey Hayward, CB, Green Bay Packers

The NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for October, Hayward was able to make an incredible impact on the Green Bay defense after not even starting until week 6 of the season. With four interceptions in his first three games, he finished the season with 6 overall. His 21 passes defended led all rookie cornerbacks.

Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

David was a guy I really liked coming into the draft, but even I didn’t think he’d be selected prior to the third round. Tampa took a chance on him in the 2nd and their scouts proved to know what they were talking about as he helped make the Bucs defense tops in the league against the run. His 139 tackles, two sacks and an interception exceeded even the most optimistic Buccaneers fan projection.

Who Should Win?

This is tough for me, because there isn’t a single guy on this list that I wouldn’t take on my roster if I’m building a defense from scratch. All of them played like veterans and they all look to be here making some noise for the future. Corner is a premium position in the league, so they usually get all the eyes. But I’m all about the guys who get it done in the middle. So If I had a vote, it would go for Luke Kuechly.

Luke reminds me a lot of a Brian Cushing type who has a nose for the ball and just seems to be in every pile at the end of a play. He never takes plays off and he does whatever his coaches ask. Most guys sulk when they’re told they will be involved in a position change, but Kuechly trusted his coaches and excelled under their direction.

Who Will Win?

Man, this one is just going to be a guess. Like I said, the voting panel loves them some corners, so I think it will probably end up being Janoris Jenkins. Even though Hayward arguably outplayed him, having ten less starts than Jenkins will effect his stock here.

Jenkins’ four defensive touchdowns are the kind of things I haven’t seen since Deion Sanders was in his prime. His ability to hit the home run can break the morale of an opponent and that can’t be understated. His knack to take chances hurt sometimes, but his gambles paid off in big ways enough for him to likely take home the honors.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2013/01/nfl-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-who-shouldwill-win/

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 01, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »

Give it to Kuechly.   He's a beast.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 01, 2013, 01:13:31 AM »

Tough call, they all deserve it.  If you put a gun to my head.....Jenkins.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 01, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

David!!!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
« #4 : February 01, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »

Who had the most solo tackles?????

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 01, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

David or Jenkins

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #6 : February 01, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »

man, I wish we would have brought Burfict in. He got a lot of attention from some posters on this board. Would be nice to have Foster/Burfict/David back there and not have to worry about the LBs for a long while. Jenkins' talent is unquestionable, let me know if he keeps his nose clean the next few seasons.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 01, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »

How Bobby Wagner isn't even mentioned is crazy. He had 140 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 picks.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

« #8 : February 01, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »

How Bobby Wagner isn't even mentioned is crazy. He had 140 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 picks.
This was a good year for LB's, Zach Brown was good too.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 01, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »

Jenkins had some great highlight plays and a couple good games but overall he wasn't that great this year imo

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 01, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

Wagner. Snubbed from this list for sure.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Rookie of the Year: Who Should Win?.........Who Will Win? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools