Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Desmond Trufant Destined to be a Buccaneer? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 01, 2013, 02:32:49 PM

Trade our First for Revis.
Trade our Second and 3rd picks for Back into First.
Select Desmond Trufant
Take a DT and TE with our 2 4ths.
OL and LB 5th and 6th.

Secondary fixed. Defense hopefully fixed.

I don't know why anyone would want to gamble our first round pick on a dude coming off an ACL.

It's no less a gamble than any draft pick.

Really? Are we going to pay a rookie $16M per year? I'd say the guaranteed money definitely makes Revis more of a gamble.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 01, 2013, 02:44:41 PM

When I watch these highly rated guys like Trufant, Banks, and even Logan Ryan....I see solid zone cornerbacks. What we need are cornerbacks that excel in man coverage, and also guys that don't shy away from contact in the run game. For this reason, I like Milliner, Rhodes, and Poyer much more than any of these other names being thrown out there. People have to realize that we aren't a Tampa Two defense anymore and zone guys are not going to come in and make a big difference. We leave our CBs on islnads and expect them to shut down their man. We have to draft for scheme, not just the highest rated player on the ranking websites.

Tampafan8251

Starter
#17 : February 01, 2013, 02:51:42 PM

All that I have read and saw show that Ryan and Trufant are good in the run game and I am from Jersey so I watch a lot of Rutgers games, Logan Ryan loves contact and is always going after the RB and hitting him, I respect your opinion J Double but when your saying Trufant and Ryan are not physical and good in the run game I have to disagree

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 01, 2013, 03:09:46 PM

I didn't say they shy away from the run game. I said they seem like zone guys to me. I said we need man coverage guys that also play physical, but I never said Ryan and/or Trufant weren't physical.

Being physical and tackling well is an added bonus that I know Schiano will look for, but first and foremost we need corners that can cover man to man.
: February 01, 2013, 03:11:28 PM JDouble

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 01, 2013, 03:19:15 PM

It would be easy to think that was your evaluation Jdouble when you posted this  - " What we need are cornerbacks that excel in man coverage, and also guys that don't shy away from contact in the run game."

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

big_JLB

Starter

#20 : February 01, 2013, 05:14:06 PM

When I watch these highly rated guys like Trufant, Banks, and even Logan Ryan....I see solid zone cornerbacks. What we need are cornerbacks that excel in man coverage, and also guys that don't shy away from contact in the run game. For this reason, I like Milliner, Rhodes, and Poyer much more than any of these other names being thrown out there. People have to realize that we aren't a Tampa Two defense anymore and zone guys are not going to come in and make a big difference. We leave our CBs on islnads and expect them to shut down their man. We have to draft for scheme, not just the highest rated player on the ranking websites.

if that's the main criteria then will davis will almost certainly be a buc. dude shuts down half the field. IMO he's the best pure man corner in the draft

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 01, 2013, 05:53:38 PM

Sorry if I worded that post wrong. I didn't mean to imply they were soft. All though I do think Banks is soft, I don't think Trufant or Ryan are. I just don't think they are the man coverage type guys we need outside.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 01, 2013, 09:57:41 PM

if that's the main criteria then will davis will almost certainly be a buc. dude shuts down half the field. IMO he's the best pure man corner in the draft

Is that, that Utah guy?  He has been popping up in mocks a lot more lately.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Tommy

Starter

#23 : February 02, 2013, 12:21:50 AM

I like Trufant better that Millner(because the market value). I am not sipping the kool-aid that Millner and Banks are going to be consistent pro bowlers. The talent this year is in the line (both sides) and receiver. Lets grab the talent that will be on our team for years

big_JLB

Starter

#24 : February 02, 2013, 09:18:25 AM

Is that, that Utah guy?  He has been popping up in mocks a lot more lkately.

Utah state, yeah...same school as Michael smith. Dude is a baller and has some decent ball skills as well, had a INT in 5 straight games to end the season. Doubt he'll be available in the 3rd, may have to trade back up into the second to get him but I wouldn't mind one bit

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 02, 2013, 01:58:12 PM

gotta disagree on will davis. from what ive watched he is allergic to tackling. he just stands close by and watches when it comes to run support.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#26 : February 02, 2013, 03:39:28 PM

So far, Trufant is my favorite prospect that I think has a good shot at landing with us.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 02, 2013, 03:46:48 PM

So far, Trufant is my favorite prospect that I think has a good shot at landing with us.

Just curious, what is it about him/his game that makes you like him so much?

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 02, 2013, 04:24:01 PM

From the few youtube videos that I've seen of Trufant, nothing stands out except that he's a poor tackler.

The read option and short passing game is a big part of the NFL now, and you need a CB that has above average tackling ability.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#29 : February 02, 2013, 05:40:35 PM

Just curious, what is it about him/his game that makes you like him so much?
I like his size and his physical play, just like most of us. I agree that he isn't the best man cover guy in the draft, but there aren't many who come out of college with good man skills. I happen to think that his play style, and the relative success of his brothers, is indicative of his potential to grow as a good man cover DB. I think lately the best CBs to come out have been big physical guys who had a little bit of grooming to do. I expect him to run a 4.4 at the combine and display his fluid hips, so he should have the speed to cover just about anyone.

Also, as PR noted in their senior bowl cover, he's extremely confident in his abilities and isn't afraid to say it. Which I think is important in the position.
: February 02, 2013, 06:12:40 PM MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Desmond Trufant Destined to be a Buccaneer? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools