Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best NFC South quote of Super Bowl week, came Friday afternoon. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 02, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »

Doug Martin: 'Muscle Hamster has to stop'

February, 1, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

NEW ORLEANS --

The best NFC South quote of Super Bowl week came Friday afternoon.

I was sitting on radio row waiting for my turn with Doug Martin when the Tampa Bay running back delivered an order to fans in an interview with WDAE’s Steve Duemig.

Martin

Martin said he’s more than fine with fans calling him “Dougernaut," “The Dougernator’’ or “Muscle and Hustle.’’ In fact, he’d encourage the use of any of those nicknames.

But there’s one nickname that Martin doesn’t like.

“Muscle Hamster has to stop,’’ Martin said in a very firm tone.

Duemig laughed, I laughed and I’m sure listeners laughed. I think Martin laughed, but only a little.

As Martin came away from his interview with Duemig and began chatting with me, I got the sense that he’s somewhat serious about putting an end to the nickname that’s followed him since college.

“I’ve been trying for the whole year and it hasn’t helped,’’ Martin said. “There are shirts and hats and all sorts of things. Half of my teammates are helping to keep it going and that doesn’t help.’’

But there’s at least a chance Martin could add a new title Saturday night. He could be the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year. He’s one of the finalists for the award.

“It’s an honor just to be considered and just to be here,’’ Martin said.

Martin realizes his chances of picking up the award might be slim because he’s up against quarterbacks Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. Quarterbacks are more visible than running backs and usually win popularity contests.

But even if Martin doesn’t win, that doesn’t take away from a sensational rookie season. He rushed for 1,454 yards and 11 touchdowns and caught 49 passes for 472 yards and one touchdown.

“I was happy with my season,’’ Martin said. “We didn’t make the playoffs and I’m not happy about that part. But, overall, I’m happy with it. I’m already looking forward to next season and hitting the ground running.’’

And maybe, after his plea, Martin finally can run away from the nickname he despises.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 02, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »

He's My Favorite Martin. Sometimes it's just impossible to shake a nickname.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 02, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »

He's My Favorite Martin. Sometimes

That's as lame as it gets calling him that since that was Curtis Martin's nickname.    And Curtis Martin is in the Hall of Fame.   

Doug Martin is Muscle Hamster.    Always will be.   Dude's face even looks like a Hamster.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 02, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »

As much as it pains me to agree with Java, that nickname belongs to Curtis Martin.

Dougernaut is my personal choice.

Buck N Up

Starter

« #4 : February 02, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »

interesting Muscle & Hustle sounds very intriguing.

J-Train

Pro Bowler

« #5 : February 02, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »

I call him Double Deuce.

Thanks for the sig Java!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 02, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »

The more he decries the name, the faster it will catch on.  He is Muscle Hamster.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 02, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »

As much as it pains me to agree with Java, that nickname belongs to Curtis Martin.

Dougernaut is my personal choice.

Feel free to have Curtis as Your Favorite Martin. Doug is "MY" Favorite Martin, though I always liked Dean as well. Nicknames are not important to me. It's the media that won't let it go. The more Doug protests, the more he's going to see it. Like it or not, it's part of his legacy. It's not going away. It will follow him all the way to Canton if he gets that far. He's a great young player with outstanding character. That's a much more important part of his legacy. I'm thinking the Patriots wish they could redo that trade.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 02, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »

The more he decries the name, the faster it will catch on.  He is Muscle Hamster.

and it will never leave him. He needs to embrace it, market it, and get richer!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #9 : February 02, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

I'm thinking the Patriots wish they could redo that trade.

??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 02, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »

I call him Double Deuce.

Sounds kinda gross.

I think Ron White made a joke about that once... he said his pants fit him now.......

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 02, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

I just call him Doug Martin. Nicknames are stupid.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 02, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »

"Muscle and Hustle" sounds bad ass but he needs to own "Muscle Hamster".

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 02, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

If he could patent it, he could sue anyone else who used the name, like on T-shirts and such. That would at least stop the commercialization of the name...

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 02, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »

I call him Double Deuce.

Double Deuce was the name of the bar in the movie Roadhouse.    That's how his nickname became Caddy Roadhouse.
« : February 02, 2013, 09:21:46 PM JavaRay »

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best NFC South quote of Super Bowl week, came Friday afternoon. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools