Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We don't NEED an elite corner « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

: February 02, 2013, 10:40:39 AM

People act like we NEED a Revis-like corner....look at what these two Super Bowl teams have. Carlos Rogers was HATED in Washington and all their fans called him a bum, Chris Culliver is no better than Biggers and Tarrell Brown is about as average as it gets. But they have two very good safetys and are great in the trenches (offensive and defensive fronts) with a great run game. The exact same thing goes for the Ravens. Corey Graham and Cary Williams are the top two corners....have any of you even heard of them? They're two average guys in their late twenties that were drafted in the 5th and 7th round a few years back while their 1st rounder Jimmy Smith from a couple years ago rides the bench.

I say go OT and WR for our first two picks, grab a couple of corners in free agency and draft one in the 3rd or 4th round.  I'd also go as hard as we can to make a push for Jarius Byrd or Dashon Goldson in free agency. Ronde's my guy and all but we can't let our heart dictate the talent we have out there on the field. We clearly need an upgrade at FS. I'd then go after Dustin Keller as our TE, get some depth for the defensive line and sign Matt Moore. I think we'll make another big splash in free agency too or else the front office wouldn't have done what it did to free up more cap space for this specific offseason. I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Revis, but I'm just saying that we don't NEED him or to reach for somebody that we think can be like him early in the draft.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 02, 2013, 10:46:26 AM

We need good corners...and we have none. We need Brian Kelly level guys back there at least but right now we're way below that. Thing is we need 2 guys because while Biggers might be nickle material he's not front line.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#2 : February 02, 2013, 10:53:12 AM

We just need to sign a couple solid vet corners and draft a couple in the middle rounds of the draft.

zsmith22

Starter

#3 : February 02, 2013, 11:30:46 AM

I'm sorry, but Dustin Keller over Martellus Bennett or even a player like Jordan Reed in the draft Is just silly. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 02, 2013, 11:40:37 AM

Doing NOTHING (and that's what you're essentially asking) on defense would ensure the same outcome as this past season.

And yes, we do need one "elite" corner. What division do you think we're in?? One where we can sign undrafted players and compete anyway? Brees, cam, and Ryan are going to continue to drop 300+ on us every week.

...Sorry, we JUST did that. One of those picks need to be a corner, even IF they sign a solid FA.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 02, 2013, 01:18:24 PM

Someone didn't get the memo.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#6 : February 02, 2013, 01:29:29 PM

Doing NOTHING (and that's what you're essentially asking) on defense would ensure the same outcome as this past season.

And yes, we do need one "elite" corner. What division do you think we're in?? One where we can sign undrafted players and compete anyway? Brees, cam, and Ryan are going to continue to drop 300+ on us every week.

...Sorry, we JUST did that. One of those picks need to be a corner, even IF they sign a solid FA.
There aren't may elite corners to go around.  I guess it's whatever consider elite.  We do need two very solid corners and FS to compete in the NFCS.  If we can fix these issues this offseason i think we are on our way.  We have other issues but these are our top priorities.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 02, 2013, 01:57:23 PM

People act like we NEED a Revis-like corner....look at what these two Super Bowl teams have. Carlos Rogers was HATED in Washington and all their fans called him a bum, Chris Culliver is no better than Biggers and Tarrell Brown is about as average as it gets. But they have two very good safetys and are great in the trenches (offensive and defensive fronts) with a great run game. The exact same thing goes for the Ravens. Corey Graham and Cary Williams are the top two corners....have any of you even heard of them? They're two average guys in their late twenties that were drafted in the 5th and 7th round a few years back while their 1st rounder Jimmy Smith from a couple years ago rides the bench.

I say go OT and WR for our first two picks, grab a couple of corners in free agency and draft one in the 3rd or 4th round.  I'd also go as hard as we can to make a push for Jarius Byrd or Dashon Goldson in free agency. Ronde's my guy and all but we can't let our heart dictate the talent we have out there on the field. We clearly need an upgrade at FS. I'd then go after Dustin Keller as our TE, get some depth for the defensive line and sign Matt Moore. I think we'll make another big splash in free agency too or else the front office wouldn't have done what it did to free up more cap space for this specific offseason. I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Revis, but I'm just saying that we don't NEED him or to reach for somebody that we think can be like him early in the draft.
WOAH. Um, Chris Culliver is a STUD. The guy is their best pure coverage CB (his metrics are close to elite) on their entire team. Rogers is a top 10 CB.

The Ravens have LaDarius Webb. He's a top 10 CB.

McCoy93

Starter

#8 : February 02, 2013, 02:46:28 PM

Did i just read that Culliver is no better than EJ Biggers? really now we had players  like Leonard Johnson and Biggers start for us and at best are nickles. Eric Wright i don't like; didn't like him during his time in Detroit or Cleveland. Our corners need a facelift. Sure we might not need a Revis type corner but we sure as hell can't parade the same players like last year or we could break our abysmal record of giving up numerous passing yards
: February 02, 2013, 02:55:40 PM Benn17

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 02, 2013, 02:54:51 PM

I think an elite pass rush is just as important as shut down corners. I think the Bucs are closer to achieving that on the d-line than in the secondary. If Bowers, Clayborn, and McCoy can stay healthy, if Bennett is resigned and we draft the best DT on the board at 13, we have the potential to once again have that elite pass rush that has been absent for the last 5-6 years. That allows us to bring in solid CBs in FA and the draft to shore up the secondary.

Im going out on a limb here and say that next season, DeQuan Bowers will gain national recognition as a top-flight pass rusher. Ive seen flashes from this guy that have me convinced he can and will be a top DE in this league. The key for him is staying healthy.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#10 : February 02, 2013, 02:55:54 PM

We don't need an elite CB, but getting a couple of good CB's should be a priority.  I would really like to see us add a couple of bigger CB's capable of playing press, and a smaller, quicker one capable of covering slot CB's.  LJ and Gaitor could fight for #4 and #5.

Tommy

Starter

#11 : February 02, 2013, 03:04:26 PM

I'm sorry, but Dustin Keller over Martellus Bennett or even a player like Jordan Reed in the draft Is just silly.

Zach Ertz looks like he will be a good pro too.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 02, 2013, 04:16:09 PM

A good CB means you can blitz more often without worrying about giving up big plays easily.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#13 : February 02, 2013, 04:17:23 PM

We need good corners...and we have none. We need Brian Kelly level guys back there at least but right now we're way below that. Thing is we need 2 guys because while Biggers might be nickle material he's not front line.

Yep

youngone

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 02, 2013, 04:33:02 PM

Chris Culliver is way better than EJ Biggers. We might not end up with a Revis-type elite corner but ones we have at this point are far from decent and upgrades are needed. I agree with the OP on the fact that we need an upgrade at FS too.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We don't NEED an elite corner « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools